How do I get discreet tracks in sonar 4.01 from Roland V-D..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
December 31, 2004 12:52:55 AM

I want to get individual tracks (kick, snare, toms, etc) so I can have
control over drum mix. tia. Jay
December 31, 2004 12:52:56 AM

jb wrote:

> I want to get individual tracks (kick, snare, toms, etc) so I can have
> control over drum mix. tia. Jay

Does the V-Drum have individual outputs for each drum? If not, you're SOL.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 12:52:56 AM

I've been thinking this issue too. Our drummer has V-Drums with the TD6
module, which definitely does not have discrete outputs. For that, I think
you need the TD20. However, rather than plunking down the $1700 or so bucks
for that, why not just use your V-drums as midi triggers to Sonar? You
should be able to record a single drum track within Sonar, then use the
"Split Notes to Tracks" Cal function. Using this, or the Retrograde
function, you can split out the different drums, cybals, etc, to discrete
tracks. Of course, you will need some sort of samples to generate the audio
from these discrete midi tracks, but Sonar comes with some stock samples for
this purpose. The advantage of this approach is that you are not locked into
the sounds in the TD8, and you can even edit out any "mistakes" using
standard MIDI editing functions. The downside is that you may really like
the drum sounds in that module. But, if you do, I think you can still use
the TD8 as an external sound module. In that case, you would solo each
individual drum track through the TD8, then record the audio back into an
audio track. You would need to do this for each discrete audio track you
would want, but that shouldn't be too hard to do. We've done it this way a
few times, and I must say I prefer the results over just recording a stereo
drum submix. In addition to being able to add individual effects, eq, and
volume, it's nice to be able to edit out some of those "infrequent" glitches
in his playing without completely losing the feel that a real drummer laid
down those tracks.

Hope that helps...

Craig

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"jb" <jbfresno@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I want to get individual tracks (kick, snare, toms, etc) so I can have
> control over drum mix. tia. Jay
December 31, 2004 1:45:05 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:29:18 -0500, agent86 <maxwellsmart@control.gov>
wrote:

>jb wrote:
>
>> I want to get individual tracks (kick, snare, toms, etc) so I can have
>> control over drum mix. tia. Jay
>
>Does the V-Drum have individual outputs for each drum? If not, you're SOL.

No, it does not. I think there's a way to split up the midi track, but
i'm not sure. somebody record with this setup out there? Jay.
December 31, 2004 1:45:06 AM

jb wrote:

> No, it does not. I think there's a way to split up the midi track, but
> i'm not sure. somebody record with this setup out there? Jay.

Could be. I don't do much with MIDI, but considering that it is
essentially just instructions, there should be some kind of software editor
out there somewhere.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 12:48:54 PM

There's a CAL script that comes with the samples and stuff called "split
note to track" and it'll do exactly what you're looking for. First you just
record it as a midi track and then run the script.

Hope that helps,

dik
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:22:49 AM

x-no-archive: yes
agent86 wrote:

> jb wrote:
>

>>I want to get individual tracks (kick, snare, toms, etc) so I can have
>>control over drum mix. tia. Jay
>

> Does the V-Drum have individual outputs for each drum? If not, you're SOL.

If he can capture the MIDI stream, many sequencers have the ability
to "split by pitch" after the fact.

--
Les Cargill
January 2, 2005 4:41:43 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:52:55 GMT, jb <jbfresno@comcast.net> wrote:

>I want to get individual tracks (kick, snare, toms, etc) so I can have
>control over drum mix. tia. Jay

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Cal routine does exactly what I
need.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 6:17:21 AM

"Les Cargill" <lcargill@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D hGBd.189125$Oc.186846@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> x-no-archive: yes
> agent86 wrote:
>
>> jb wrote:
>>

>>>I want to get individual tracks (kick, snare, toms, etc) so I can have
>>>control over drum mix. tia. Jay
>>

>> Does the V-Drum have individual outputs for each drum? If not, you're
>> SOL.

Wha??? No he's not, he can just lower the volume in the module to "0" on all
the drums he doesn't want to sound on each pass & make successive passes
until he's done.

Or am I talking out my ass & that's the only drum brain on the market that
you can't do something like that with?

Neil Henderson
!