Sacred Plus - could've been it

What a waste of a good engine. I'm playing Sacred Plus. It almost had
everything one could ask for in an RPG. A huge world that varies from
dessert, grasslands, mountain region, to snowy region. Great graphics
that you can zoom in and out, with anti-alias that smooths out edges.
It has atmosphere such as rain and day/night cycle. It has those
little birds, rabbits, deers, and wandering animals that improves the
atmosphere in this game. The town is very detailed as well with their
little beds, cabinets, kitchen, wells, chairs and etc. It has mood
setting music that doesn't get repetitive. It's one of the few games
that I leave the music on. The RPG system is pretty good as well. It
has lots of stats. Skills and attributes you have to worry about. You
can also upgrade weapons. There's also online play.

Let's talk about the shortcomings of this game, aside from the bugs
that took almost a year to iron out. With all that effort they put in
the game world, they could've went with the Ultima/Baldur's Gate route
but they opted for the Diablo route. If you're going for the Diablo
style, get rid of the towns. The town in this game only serve one
purpose, to unload your stuff and to buy stuff. Why even have dozens
of towns then? Each town in Sacred are exactly the same. There's the
trader, horse seller, and combo master. Ascaron should've copied some
stuff from Might & Magic and require the players to get weapons/armor
trainers and certificates. Constant upgrading is what makes M&M series
addicting. It would also add more stuff to do in towns. Instead of
picking up spell runes from monsters, they should just have spell
trainers in towns instead. Taverns should have henchmen available for
hire. Each town should have a sheriff office where they offer bounty
hunting jobs.

Champion wrote:
> What a waste of a good engine. I'm playing Sacred Plus. It almost
> had everything one could ask for in an RPG.

I think because Sacred comes so close to "getting it", its shortcomings are
very much perceptually magnified.

Damn shame, too.

--
chainbreaker

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> What a waste of a good engine. I'm playing Sacred Plus. It almost had

Single- or Multi(YAAAAWN)player?

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

I agree with most of your perceptions re: Sacred Plus. However, despite its
shortcomings, it's been a totally cool game for my wife and I to play
cooperatively. We play about an hour a night, sometimes progressing through
4-5 quests in an evening, and other times just wandering, exploring and
killing. We've managed to both progress at about the same pace (we're both
lvl 39 - she's a Wood Elf, I'm a Battle Mage). For a while, we had problems
with quests that got 'lost' (suddenly, when we appeared to complete them,
the game wouldn't acknowledge it), but haven't had those problems in a
while. Over the years, our favorite cooperative games have been Diablo I &
II, Dungeon Siege, Darkstone, and Heretic II - all games that had great
engines, allowed save points for co-op, had just enough role-playing stats
but were not mired in long dialogue (e.g. Baldurs' Gate, IWD, etc.). Just
about when we finish Sacred Plus, thankfully, Dungeon Siege 2 should be
coming out!

Marshall

Champion schrieb:

> Let's talk about the shortcomings of this game, aside from the bugs
> that took almost a year to iron out. With all that effort they put in
> the game world, they could've went with the Ultima/Baldur's Gate route
> but they opted for the Diablo route.

It is a Diablo clone.

Jochen