Sign in with
Your question

Does RAM deteriorate over time?

Last response: in Memory
January 16, 2003 4:08:17 AM

That is to say, over time, does RAM get less effective/lose its power/speed, etc. I mean, in 2 years, will the RAM i have "lose it's juice?"

-----

In a world... where nothing is interesting...

<A HREF="http:// www.nosmarts.com " target="_new">http:// www.nosmarts.com </A>

More about : ram deteriorate time

a b } Memory
January 16, 2003 7:47:53 AM

Probably not in 5 years even if it's properly made. Yes, the circuits deteriorate, but it's on the matter of 10's of years, and they fail suddenly when they reach that point.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 16, 2003 6:36:43 PM

All computer items will deteriorates over time. Its just that when it deteriorates to actually affect the comp, its probably worthless anyways.
Related resources
January 17, 2003 4:29:40 AM

Manufacturers would love for us to think that.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>
January 17, 2003 9:54:38 AM

The bigger problem is electrical spikes like when the neighborhood electrical transformer blows or a lightning strike some distance away.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...
January 18, 2003 2:07:15 AM

At least the people at Kingmax don't think so as their RAMs carry a life-time warranty.
January 18, 2003 3:19:52 AM

they figure it will fail when nobody will care(ie about 10 years later). I had some EDO ram that had lifetime warrenty. The warrenty doesn't help if the item is near obsolete.
January 18, 2003 7:01:09 PM

If some can still run their very old PCs, dating from before 1985, there is obviously RAM in there and obviously it means RAM has an extremly long lifetime. Same thing for CPUs, you estimate 10 years but in fact it can be much beyond that. Overclocking or running it hot will shorten it, but 3 years off a potential 15, is nothing.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
!