G

I have a fairly fresh installation of Windows XP Professional and I am trying to install my SB Live! Value sound card which I know to be in fine shape.

The system seems to auto detect it just fine but fails to install the card. Below is the message I get...

Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware
Multimedia Audio Controller

An error occurred during the installation of the device
The data is invalid

I have even tried the latest drivers from Creative. HELP!!!

FiberTech

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2001
First thing I would try is moving the card to a different PCI slot. Also make sure which upgrade you have from Creative. They have an update as well as a full install available for download.

<b>Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.</b>

G

Creative got back to me. This is what they had to say...

"Do the Windows XP generic drivers install in the system ok, or does it only fail when you try to update? If the Windows XP drivers fail, that would indicate a problem with the operating system, rather than the sound card."

Well, the answer to that is my Windows XP drivers fail.
So, having said that, does anybody know how I can replace my corrupt drivers from my XP CD? Or off the web?

ddarby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
the problem can be solved by cancelling the autodetect window when it pops up, and run your creative software first. Windows will then re auto-detect and install software automatically. post your reply mate.

G

I don't get the opportunity to abort the installation attempt in XP. It tires to do the whole thing automatically with no chance for user intervention. The error message (noted above) pops up and my only option is "Finish". The when I go to Device Manager the card is sitting in "other device" with the yellow exclamation point. I can't even remove it from there. XP is strange.

Try flashing the BIOS and ensure that the onboard audio is disabled. It sounds as if there is a confict there.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>