In article <4ani01hjhmb8ouv2tm9ivst8bt8uue5iss@4ax.com>,
Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I don't know, perhaps it's just me but... am I the only one who hear
>warning bells when a developer starts talking about things like
>"infinite inventory space" and "learning special moves"?

Probably not, but I don't think worry is warranted at this point. If
memory serves me correctly the first two Gothics had infinite inventories,
and the "special moves" sounds like just a minor extension of the way
the combat system worked in the first two games. There were a number
of combat maneuvers that my character could perform late in the game
that he couldn't do in the beginning, for example.

(For that matter, classic Ultima games like U4 and U5 has infinite
inventories. 99 suits of chain mail, anyone?)

--
Kyle Haight

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:08:41 -0600, khaight@lefDELETEtistME.org (Kyle
Haight) wrote:

>In article <4ani01hjhmb8ouv2tm9ivst8bt8uue5iss@4ax.com>,
>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>I don't know, perhaps it's just me but... am I the only one who hear
>>warning bells when a developer starts talking about things like
>>"infinite inventory space" and "learning special moves"?
>
>Probably not, but I don't think worry is warranted at this point. If
>memory serves me correctly the first two Gothics had infinite inventories,
>and the "special moves" sounds like just a minor extension of the way
>the combat system worked in the first two games. There were a number
>of combat maneuvers that my character could perform late in the game
>that he couldn't do in the beginning, for example.
>
>(For that matter, classic Ultima games like U4 and U5 has infinite
>inventories. 99 suits of chain mail, anyone?)

99 = infinite?

I fully plan on using Gothic 3 to replace my DVDs as a movie storage
solution. Otherwise it's just plain false advertising!

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

In article <i0qi01tdcuca8mhiuodtn73hvc5qepdek3@4ax.com>,
Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>99 = infinite?

Well, ok, fine. "Infinite" in the sense that it allowed you to carry
far more gear than your party would ever require. No program running in
a finite memory space can support a truly "infinite" inventory.

I generally take "infinite inventory" in the context of a game to mean
that inventory management is not an element of the gameplay. You never
have to worry about whether to take object A or object B, because you
can carry them both.

--
Kyle Haight

Thusly khaight@lefDELETEtistME.org (Kyle Haight) Spake Unto All:

>>I don't know, perhaps it's just me but... am I the only one who hear
>>warning bells when a developer starts talking about things like
>>"infinite inventory space" and "learning special moves"?
>
>Probably not, but I don't think worry is warranted at this point. If
>memory serves me correctly the first two Gothics had infinite inventories,
>and the "special moves" sounds like just a minor extension of the way
>the combat system worked in the first two games.

I hope you're right. I liked G2 a lot, and would hate for it to become
consolized. I got this vision of "Prince of Persia meets Dungeon
Siege" when I read the text from the developer, and it wasn't pretty.

nostromo

Thus spake khaight@lefDELETEtistME.org (Kyle Haight), Tue, 08 Feb 2005
20:46:25 -0600, Anno Domini:

>In article <i0qi01tdcuca8mhiuodtn73hvc5qepdek3@4ax.com>,
>Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>99 = infinite?
>
>Well, ok, fine. "Infinite" in the sense that it allowed you to carry
>far more gear than your party would ever require. No program running in
>a finite memory space can support a truly "infinite" inventory.

You could conceptually: if I had an 'infinite' number of chain mails in my
inventory, I could sell or drop as many as I wanted & the chain mail would
still be there! ;-p

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

Nostromo wrote:
> Thus spake khaight@lefDELETEtistME.org (Kyle Haight), Tue, 08 Feb 2005
> 20:46:25 -0600, Anno Domini:
>

>>In article <i0qi01tdcuca8mhiuodtn73hvc5qepdek3@4ax.com>,
>>Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>99 = infinite?
>>
>>Well, ok, fine. "Infinite" in the sense that it allowed you to carry
>>far more gear than your party would ever require. No program running in
>>a finite memory space can support a truly "infinite" inventory.
>

> You could conceptually: if I had an 'infinite' number of chain mails in my
> inventory, I could sell or drop as many as I wanted & the chain mail would
> still be there! ;-p

You could not. If you had infinite inventory space, you could pick up
an unlimited number of them and still have space left. Somewhen, you're
at the point where the number of chain mails in your inventory takes
up all the available memory. At that point you won't be able to pick
up another without crashing the software.

>>I generally take "infinite inventory" in the context of a game to mean
>>that inventory management is not an element of the gameplay. You never
>>have to worry about whether to take object A or object B, because you
>>can carry them both.

At the most simple: you can pick up all the objects in the game and carry
them around.

Werner

Gothis 3 is a year (if we are lucky) away...
Y snot try some of the GOTHIC 1 (yes 1st one) user made
mod/quests/lands...???
I have only the Eng. lag ver. of GOTHIC 1 DEMO (ist one) (its impossible to
buy the full thing in UK).
There are 2 new quest/lands mods on the Eng. web site...and a very big new
add-on game mod on the german site ...this german game mod has got an
english lang add-on..
SOOO!! I installed these into my DEMO version and they seem to work fine...I
have only tryed the 1st sections so there may be problems later in.
...you allso need to do this using
the Gothic-mod-launcher "Player Kit" utility which is at the sites..
http://www.worldofgothic.com/
http://www.diccuric.org/enindex.htm

nostromo

Thus spake Werner Arend <nefar@arcor.de>, Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:52:43 +0100,
Anno Domini:

>Nostromo wrote:
>> Thus spake khaight@lefDELETEtistME.org (Kyle Haight), Tue, 08 Feb 2005
>> 20:46:25 -0600, Anno Domini:

>>>Well, ok, fine. "Infinite" in the sense that it allowed you to carry
>>>far more gear than your party would ever require. No program running in
>>>a finite memory space can support a truly "infinite" inventory.
>>

>> You could conceptually: if I had an 'infinite' number of chain mails in my
>> inventory, I could sell or drop as many as I wanted & the chain mail would
>> still be there! ;-p
>
>You could not. If you had infinite inventory space, you could pick up
>an unlimited number of them and still have space left. Somewhen, you're
>at the point where the number of chain mails in your inventory takes
>up all the available memory. At that point you won't be able to pick
>up another without crashing the software.

You've missed the point Werner: you could *simulate* an infinite number by
never 'losing' the item no matter how any times you dropped it or sold it.
And if you really wanted to, you could have a number on the item represent
the size of the stack, which couldn't be infinite, but it you used 3-digit
exponents as well, good luck to anyone trying to exceed it! :)

I was thinking more of an item you could never use up. Lots of games
therefore have 'infinite' items, e.g. M&M series arrows.