Slow internet

Mathias123

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hello, my internet is sooo slow these days. Downloads seem to be ok, but browsing is just a major headache. I doesn't matter if I use our own internet, or steal from neighbours. It's slow regardless. Speedtests come back fine, but a simple google search takes 10 seconds ++, sometimes not working at all. Last time this happened I reset all computer settings, and the problem was solved temporarily. Could a virus be causing this?

rmccoy

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

If it is happening on other networks as well it's something in the computer. It could be an infection, it could be settings, or it could be a bad addon. You could test a few things to figure it out. Depending on what operating system you are running try these steps:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run type iexplore.exe -extoff
This opens internet explorer with no addons. If this works you probably have a bad addon causing problems.

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run type hh h
This opens an HTML Help window. Click the yellow question mark at the top left of the page and choose "Jump to URL"
Try some websites using this window. If everything loads fine in this you may have some type of infection or problem with IE.

If all these fail you can try tapping F8 as soon as you hit the power button on your pc. You should be given an Advanced Boot Menu. Choose Safe Mode with Networking and attempt browsing the internet. If this works you may have an infection or bigger problems with IE.

Reset IE
Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run type inetcpl.cpl
Choose Advanced Tab and click reset.

Post back with anymore info.

Mathias123

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
We are on to something here for sure! Was getting an aneurysm from not being able to browse something and when I tried the first of your suggestions, the one that I might have a bad addon, it worked immediately. I usually use chrome though, and how will I get rid of this addon?

Thanks alot! Mathias