KOTOR2: PC version buggy?

Without posting any spoilers can anyone tell us if the PC version
is very buggy? The gamespy reviewer mentioned a lot of graphical
glitches and CTDs. Please post your video card specs too. I'm
guessing ATI users will have trouble again like they did with
KOTOR1.
9 answers Last reply
More about kotor2 version buggy

    shadows wrote:
    > Without posting any spoilers can anyone tell us if the PC version
    > is very buggy? The gamespy reviewer mentioned a lot of graphical
    > glitches and CTDs. Please post your video card specs too. I'm
    > guessing ATI users will have trouble again like they did with
    > KOTOR1.

    It would appear that it's at least as buggy as the original KOTOR, so
    that should be your baseline for the level of bugginess.

    "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > shadows wrote:
    >> Without posting any spoilers can anyone tell us if the PC version
    >> is very buggy? The gamespy reviewer mentioned a lot of graphical
    >> glitches and CTDs. Please post your video card specs too. I'm
    >> guessing ATI users will have trouble again like they did with
    >> KOTOR1.
    >>

    > It would appear that it's at least as buggy as the original KOTOR, so that
    > should be your baseline for the level of bugginess.

    Perhaps I'm biased because I had no glitches or CTD's in KotOR - and that is
    on two different PC's and a Mac - but I am having no problems at all with
    KotOR 2. I have been through the prologue, and the first area, and have not
    had a single glitch.

    Mike

    On 2005-02-10, Michael Anderson <txa1265@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > "GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >> shadows wrote:
    >>> Without posting any spoilers can anyone tell us if the PC version
    >>> is very buggy? The gamespy reviewer mentioned a lot of graphical
    >>> glitches and CTDs. Please post your video card specs too. I'm
    >>> guessing ATI users will have trouble again like they did with
    >>> KOTOR1.
    >>>

    >> It would appear that it's at least as buggy as the original KOTOR, so that
    >> should be your baseline for the level of bugginess.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm biased because I had no glitches or CTD's in KotOR - and that is
    > on two different PC's and a Mac - but I am having no problems at all with
    > KotOR 2. I have been through the prologue, and the first area, and have not
    > had a single glitch.

    One CTD with KOTOR2. A few minor glitches in some cut scenes (non
    FMV). Other than that I played until 4 am yesterday without
    knowing. KOTOR2 is great.

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:39:03 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    wrote:

    >shadows wrote:
    >> Without posting any spoilers can anyone tell us if the PC version
    >> is very buggy? The gamespy reviewer mentioned a lot of graphical
    >> glitches and CTDs. Please post your video card specs too. I'm
    >> guessing ATI users will have trouble again like they did with
    >> KOTOR1.
    >>

    >It would appear that it's at least as buggy as the original KOTOR, so
    >that should be your baseline for the level of bugginess.

    It's actually buggier and it seems that some of these bugs aren't
    unique to the PC version either, as I've seen some old postings
    reporting the same thing on the XBox version. Still, I've seen worse.

    The pathfinding in KOTOR was generally ok, but it does weird things
    with the NPCs and even your own character in KOTOR2. At various
    points, when I ordered my own character to attack, he'd run the other
    direction. I had to manually guide him within striking distance and
    reorder it for him to figure out where to hit. There aren't any other
    enemies nearby, so he's not going off to attack something else as in
    the first game.

    The NPCs are even worse. One of the bugs that was discussed in a
    preview article (presumably of an early beta, so they've had time to
    fix it) is still present. Specifically, a couple of times, I'd walk
    out of a room and down the hall (this wasn't in solo mode), and
    realize, hey, where is everybody. I go back to the original room and
    they're still standing there. I managed to give them a clue by going
    solo and back into group mode.

    The collision detection is also a bit off. Some of the corners in the
    game actually extend beyond what you can see, and you can snag on
    them, causing your character to get stuck. This is generally ok when
    it happens to an NPC, as the game will respawn them if you're in group
    mode and get too far away, but if it's you, it's time to reload. In
    another instance, I somehow managed to sink into the floor. Again,
    time to reload. I work around this by doing wide turns around
    corners.

    The graphics will glitch up occasionally. It's not a usually a show
    stopper, but it does get weird, like having your character's elongate
    to the ground, making them guerilla like knuckle draggers with bugs
    bunny type tubular arms (check out the Shrek2 DVD extras and you'll
    see what some of this looks like). Doesn't screw up the game and it
    usually fixes itself if you keep playing.

    A seemingly random crash bug. Might be a memory leak, but it seems
    way too random. The game doesn't just gradually slow down and die as
    with memory leaks, it just suddenly starts skipping frames (the walk
    animation and area rotation stops being smooth), and *bing* it locks
    up. No error messages, the game just stops responding. Happened to
    me twice on winXP with nothing else running.

    There also appears to be a few very weird plot dead ends in the game.
    Seemingly innocent stuff that basically kills the plot right there and
    strands the game. They're inherited from the XBox version, so these
    might have been on purpose.

    All of this wouldn't be too bad if they kept the autosave scheme from
    the first game (save whenever you have to do a transition load), but
    it only saves at specific (and not well defined) plot points. So save
    often.

    MCheu

    "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:39:03 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>shadows wrote:
    >>> Without posting any spoilers can anyone tell us if the PC version
    >>> is very buggy? The gamespy reviewer mentioned a lot of graphical
    >>> glitches and CTDs. Please post your video card specs too. I'm
    >>> guessing ATI users will have trouble again like they did with
    >>> KOTOR1.
    >>>

    >>It would appear that it's at least as buggy as the original KOTOR, so
    >>that should be your baseline for the level of bugginess.
    >
    > It's actually buggier and it seems that some of these bugs aren't
    > unique to the PC version either, as I've seen some old postings
    > reporting the same thing on the XBox version. Still, I've seen worse.
    >
    > The pathfinding in KOTOR was generally ok, but it does weird things
    > with the NPCs and even your own character in KOTOR2. At various
    > points, when I ordered my own character to attack, he'd run the other
    > direction. I had to manually guide him within striking distance and
    > reorder it for him to figure out where to hit. There aren't any other
    > enemies nearby, so he's not going off to attack something else as in
    > the first game.
    >
    > The NPCs are even worse. One of the bugs that was discussed in a
    > preview article (presumably of an early beta, so they've had time to
    > fix it) is still present. Specifically, a couple of times, I'd walk
    > out of a room and down the hall (this wasn't in solo mode), and
    > realize, hey, where is everybody. I go back to the original room and
    > they're still standing there. I managed to give them a clue by going
    > solo and back into group mode.

    This happened to me with KotOR 1 as well playing one of my characters on
    Korriban, so it's probably an inherited bug.

    > The collision detection is also a bit off. Some of the corners in the
    > game actually extend beyond what you can see, and you can snag on
    > them, causing your character to get stuck. This is generally ok when
    > it happens to an NPC, as the game will respawn them if you're in group
    > mode and get too far away, but if it's you, it's time to reload. In
    > another instance, I somehow managed to sink into the floor. Again,
    > time to reload. I work around this by doing wide turns around
    > corners.
    >
    > The graphics will glitch up occasionally. It's not a usually a show
    > stopper, but it does get weird, like having your character's elongate
    > to the ground, making them guerilla like knuckle draggers with bugs
    > bunny type tubular arms (check out the Shrek2 DVD extras and you'll
    > see what some of this looks like). Doesn't screw up the game and it
    > usually fixes itself if you keep playing.
    >
    > A seemingly random crash bug. Might be a memory leak, but it seems
    > way too random. The game doesn't just gradually slow down and die as
    > with memory leaks, it just suddenly starts skipping frames (the walk
    > animation and area rotation stops being smooth), and *bing* it locks
    > up. No error messages, the game just stops responding. Happened to
    > me twice on winXP with nothing else running.

    This is a defect of the Aurora engine which KotOR 1 & 2 are based on.
    Bioware claims that KotOR uses the Odyssey engine but in truth there is
    little difference between the two bugs-wise, the Odyssey is based on Aurora
    afterall. It also happens to some people with Neverwinter Nights. It's quite
    rare so perhaps not many people bump into it. It's also documented in the
    KotOR 2 readme file.

    shadows wrote:

    >>In Nar Shaada, I simply cannot get the exchange to notice me. I check
    >>the KotOR 2 walkthrough on Gamespot and it said that you need to get
    >>enough attention from the Exchange (either good or bad) to trigger a
    >>certain even happening near the Ebon Hawk. I've made myself known to the
    >>Exchange, done pretty much everything there, even paid the dude in the
    >>Entertainment area 2000 to say bad things about me, but nothings happening.
    >>
    >>I really want to finish that area. Kinda curious to see how the
    >>red-headed chick acts when I get her to join my party (as I know she
    >>does eventually).
    >

    > Did you kill the criminals who boarded the ebon hawk and held it
    > hostage?
    >
    > Also did you kill the Exchange boss in the refugee sector?

    I did kill the Exchange boss in the refugee sector and got a journal
    entry saying just that (plus the refugees were pleased).

    Problem is however that I haven't encountered any crims that hold the
    Ebon Hawk hostage. I know it's meant to happen, but I can't make it
    happen. I can simply come and go to and from Nar Shadaar as I please.
    Where am I supposed to see the cutscene that tells me to head on over?

    On 2005-02-14, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    > Problem is however that I haven't encountered any crims that hold the
    > Ebon Hawk hostage. I know it's meant to happen, but I can't make it
    > happen. I can simply come and go to and from Nar Shadaar as I please.
    > Where am I supposed to see the cutscene that tells me to head on over?

    Try doing the other planets first before going to Nar
    Shadaa. Maybe you missed something?

    I did them in this order: Telos, Oderon and Duxn, Nar Shadda,
    Korriban, Dantooine. No problems getting to the end.

    > You get a message. Forgot what triggers it.

    I got the cutscene after I've done the quest for the scientist that
    was looking for a signal and needed me to fetch some vital part from
    Pylon 3 and was heading back to main area. (long sentence)
    I don't think there's any specific event that triggers it. Must be
    after a fix number of quests or a few specific quests has been done
    not in any particular order.

    MizardX wrote:

    >>You get a message. Forgot what triggers it.
    >

    > I got the cutscene after I've done the quest for the scientist that
    > was looking for a signal and needed me to fetch some vital part from
    > Pylon 3 and was heading back to main area. (long sentence)
    > I don't think there's any specific event that triggers it. Must be
    > after a fix number of quests or a few specific quests has been done
    > not in any particular order.

    Old thread. You should have left it alone. I finally fixed the problem
    ages ago.

PC gaming Video Games