Should I get the Antec 380 Truepower PSU?

RobD

Champion
I'm about to get broadband internet at home (yess!), so I am going to purchase an extra hard drive and CDRW. I am also conscious about my existing PSU (unbranded 300W), and don't want to suffer problems once I installed the new bits.

The question I'm asking is, is the PSU mentioned good enough for what I want? I'm also going to upgrade the graphics card to a R9700Pro within the next 6 months, so I want to really be ready.

All opinions and suggestions are greatly sought and appreciated!

Thanks, Rob.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
it's a good one, but if your budget let you do it then go for more power. if not, then it's still a good one

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

RobD

Champion
Budget won't be a problem. Wen it comes to making sure my system will be OK, then the cost isn't my main consideration. Within reason, of course!

Reason I picked that model is that it seems to have good all round reviews, but you say go for more power? What model would you recommend?

warnerwh

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2002
The Antec 380 is plenty of power for any normal system. If you have the money though getting one that is way overkill now may save you the cost of upgrading a few years down the road as voltage requiremens keep climbing.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
got myself an Enermax 550W, I don't need all that juice so it doesn't get hot and should last for a long time since I don't have to push it to the limits.

cost a few bucks more than a lower wattage unit so I didn't care, like to have more than just enough to be on the safe side

Antec got some nice high power units and comparing the two is like looking at twins

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

RobD

Champion
Well, I can't find an Enermax 550 over here (UK), but I've just seen an Antec 550. It's a bit more expensive, but that's OK, as it means I'm ready for the future.

OK, out with the plastic!

Thanks for everyones help!

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
here is a good suggestion for ya...check out <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com</A> and look at their latest review on power supplys...you will see that enermax and antec take the cake :smile: ...I personally have the enermax 465ax and im loving it

RobD

Champion
Just read it, good article. Seems to confirm what everyone in here says. Enermax and Antec seem to be top dog.

Enermax are a little difficult to get over here (UK), but I am still looking. Antec's looking good to me!

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
enjoy

gotta love saying "charge it" when paying :smile:
except when I give my debit card instead of visa, because they look almost identical.