Disk volume error -- run System File Checker?!

NYWinner

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hello, re: the tip to run SFC -- I'm not sure where the 'command prompt' is now in Windows 7.
What I did was search for sfc, right click, then run as administrator.
It appears something is running, but no window opened to ask or tell me anything. I checked Task Mgr and Resource Monitor and can't find anything resembling SFC, but there is activity even tho' I'm not doing anything else. The hard drive light is also flickering about once per second. What should I expect? Do I just wait patiently?? How can I confirm SFC is running and fixing any errors??
Thanks for your time and attention.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Instead of running SFC that way. When you go to the Start Menu to search, type in cmd. Right click on it and click run as administrator, then use the command line to run sfc /scannow.

I'm assuming the switches are the same in Windows 7 as they were in previous, but I could be wrong. You might want to Google just to make sure you have the right syntax when running SFC from the command line.

NYWinner

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

=========================================================
My reply to your help offer------------

Hi Your approach doesn't seem to work from my Win 7. I finally figured out to go to accessories, found the 'Command Prompt' words!!! (not a convenient window like before), right clicked on it, then clicked 'run as administrator' --- then I got the command prompt screen, typed in SFC then a space then /SCANNOW and it worked just fine ---

but what a convoluted way to do this!! windows has a way to go to be more user friendly and more intuitively obvious --- this was a real challenge and took much too much time to figure out --- what a bunch of morons!! However, I find Win 7 much easier to use than my old XP, but also miss some of the simpler implementations
Thanks for your offer to help --- Regards

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
It works on Windows 7. I use the method that I posted to get to command prompt daily at my job. Maybe you didn't do it right, but I'm glad you found the command prompt (which is in the same place as it was in XP, I might add).