Windows XP SP2

I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
than I do.
81 answers Last reply
More about windows

    "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
    > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    > than I do.

    categorically NO!

    SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
    avoid it at all costs.

    Do NOT install it.

    Scared Cat wrote:

    > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    > than I do.

    With the name "Scared Cat" and the point of the post it is obvious you
    are just trying, poorly I might add, to troll.

    However, no I would not install SP2 as it only causes heart ache and
    pain. Plus it actually has some security issues with it.
    http://www.desktoppipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=59200273

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:27:08 -0600, Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote:

    >I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    >Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    >the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    >avoided it.

    Don't worry about the firewall or new security features in SP2 - all they
    do is prevent unknonw applications from accessing the Internet, inform you
    of automatic updates, and inform you of a lack of anti-virus software.

    There may be games failing under SP2 - but I doubt these two are faulty.

    > I am not great at working out computer related problems
    >either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    >than I do.

    The worst case scenario is that you need to reinstall your operating
    system. I currently have SP2, and don't yet have problems - in fact, a
    fresh SP2 install seems to be working better than SP1 cluttered with
    whatever's been installed.

    "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
    > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    > than I do.

    Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
    Beyond Good and Evil to run.

    --
    Derek

    Derek Baker wrote:

    > "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
    > > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    > > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    > > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    > > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    > > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    > > than I do.
    >
    > Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
    > Beyond Good and Evil to run.
    >
    > --
    > Derek

    I've stayed away from it, myself, since gaming is a major use for my
    system.

    --

    Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

    RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> writes:

    > Derek Baker wrote:
    > >
    > > "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
    > > > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > > > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > > > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    > > > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    > > > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    > > > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    > > > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    > > > than I do.
    > >
    > > Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
    > > Beyond Good and Evil to run.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Derek
    >
    > I've stayed away from it, myself, since gaming is a major use for my
    > system.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.
    >
    > "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

    Once SP2 is installed you can just turn off the firewall, etc. and
    continue to use your 3rd party stuff. I have it install on my PC at
    work and I've had no trouble using anything although I don't game at
    work.

    --
    Scott Streeter
    ss@wpi.edu

    In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
    > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)

    Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

    --
    Neil Cerutti

    Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:

    >In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
    >> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >
    >Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

    Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
    get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
    me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
    antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
    not understand).
    Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.

    Thusly Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> Spake Unto All:

    >I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >and I was worried about them still working.

    Congrats, you're in for two treats. I'd play them one at a time,
    though, they're worth savoring. Play KOTOR first, IMO, even though
    it's newer.

    Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
    Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thusly Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> Spake Unto All:
    >
    > >I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > >Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > >and I was worried about them still working.
    >
    > Congrats, you're in for two treats. I'd play them one at a time,
    > though, they're worth savoring. Play KOTOR first, IMO, even though
    > it's newer.
    >
    > Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
    > Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.

    I have to say when I read Jedi Knight, I assumed that the OP meant Jedi
    Outcast or Academy.

    But I can confirm KOTOR runs under XP SP2.

    --
    Derek
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

    > Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:
    >
    > >In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
    > >> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > >> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > >
    > >Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
    >
    > Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
    > get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
    > me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
    > antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
    > not understand).
    > Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.

    Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
    "Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
    the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

    --
    Scott Streeter
    ss@wpi.edu

    On 10 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc10.wpi.edu> wrote:

    >Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:
    >
    >> Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:

    >> >Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
    >>
    >> Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
    >> get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
    >> me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
    >> antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
    >> not understand).
    >> Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.
    >>

    >Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
    >"Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
    >the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

    Or Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and just set the
    Security Center service to "disabled". Even fewer resources devoted to
    something you don't really need.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Thusly "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> Spake Unto All:

    >> Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
    >> Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.
    >
    >I have to say when I read Jedi Knight, I assumed that the OP meant Jedi
    >Outcast or Academy.

    LOL!
    You know, that never even occurred to me.
    Haha, there's just too many star wars games out there to keep track of
    them all! :-)

    >But I can confirm KOTOR runs under XP SP2.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Scott Streeter <ss@ccc10.wpi.edu> Spake Unto All:

    >> Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
    >> get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
    >> me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot

    >Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
    >"Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
    >the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

    Ah, cheers! Right, now I can honestly say I have no problems at all
    with SP2!
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Well XP comes with the firewall allready installed all SP@ does is
    activate the firewall if you havent turned it on. I play many online
    games and the firewall has never giving me a problem. If it does all
    you need to do is go to your internet settings and disable it while you
    play. I would havee to recommended the firewall becasue you can never
    have to much security.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

    >Or Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and just set the
    >Security Center service to "disabled". Even fewer resources devoted to
    >something you don't really need.

    Oh, it's a service! Why didn't I think of checking there?

    Thanks for the tip, turned it off, and finally my taskbar is free of
    the little shield!

    Thanks! Both of you!

    --
    The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_2567438.htm

    The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Melketh wrote:
    > "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
    >
    >>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >>and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    >>Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    >>the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    >>avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    >>either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    >>than I do.
    >

    > categorically NO!
    >
    > SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
    > avoid it at all costs.
    >
    > Do NOT install it.

    Yeah.

    I have had SP1 installed for a very long time and have nothing but
    praise for it (mainly because there's nothing wrong with it). I haven't
    tried SP2 however cos I'm afraid of breaking an otherwise stable system.

    I have a firewall and AV software already. Apart from the latest
    security patches from Windows Update I don't think there's any real need
    to risk SP2 (IMHO).
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
    Anno Domini:

    >In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
    >> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >
    >Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

    Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p

    There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform come out of
    Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell yourself is a delusion based on
    many, many hours wasted tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <31hn01pqo5l946hiu3lvsa9cfnmc61qhud@4ax.com>, Nostromo wrote:
    > Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
    > Anno Domini:
    >>In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared
    >>Cat wrote:
    >>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight
    >>> and Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know,
    >>> I know..)
    >>
    >>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
    >
    > Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p

    That'll teach ya.

    > There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform
    > come out of Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell
    > yourself is a delusion based on many, many hours wasted
    > tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard

    XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
    that's a boondoggle.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, scaredy@cat.cat
    says...
    > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    > than I do.

    I had problems with it. It changes tcp/ip for instance in a way that
    software like Kazaa lite will keep crashing.

    It introduces DRM deep into the bowels of your OS - who cares? Well I
    care, the moment Windows Media Player informs me that it has to call
    Mickey$oft and find out if I am actually allowed to watch the .wmv file
    I have been able to watch many times before (!!!).

    The 'security centre' that still interfered with my tcp traffic despite
    being disabled was a relatively minor nuissance, I figured out how to
    disable that pretty quickly (and wasn't the 'security centre' the most
    compelling reason to *get* SP 2 in the first place?).

    Naw, don't put in on your machine if you can avoid it. I uninstalled it
    pretty quickly, except it didn't actually get its claws out of my system
    - there are aspects of it still active here.

    Which makes me think 'malware'.

    -Peter
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 21:15:22 GMT,
    Anno Domini:

    >In article <31hn01pqo5l946hiu3lvsa9cfnmc61qhud@4ax.com>, Nostromo wrote:
    >> Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
    >> Anno Domini:
    >>>
    >>>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
    >>
    >> Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p
    >
    >That'll teach ya.

    Heh.

    >> There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform
    >> come out of Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell
    >> yourself is a delusion based on many, many hours wasted
    >> tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard
    >
    >XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
    >that's a boondoggle.

    Just needs a little extra TLC. I used SP1 & the inbuilt firewall quite
    extensively & happily, so I was at home with SP2. Only problem is what it
    does to P2P with it's limit on 10 concurrent failed tcp connections / sec.
    Easily hacked ;-)

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:15:49 GMT,
    Anno Domini:

    >Melketh wrote:
    >> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >>>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >>>and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    >>>Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    >>>the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    >>>avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    >>>either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    >>>than I do.
    >>

    >> categorically NO!
    >>
    >> SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
    >> avoid it at all costs.
    >>
    >> Do NOT install it.
    >>

    >Yeah.
    >
    >I have had SP1 installed for a very long time and have nothing but
    >praise for it (mainly because there's nothing wrong with it). I haven't
    >tried SP2 however cos I'm afraid of breaking an otherwise stable system.
    >
    >I have a firewall and AV software already. Apart from the latest
    >security patches from Windows Update I don't think there's any real need
    >to risk SP2 (IMHO).

    It's all about futureproofing. Eventually something breaks. And then you
    spend hours/days trying in vein to get it working or do without until some
    other poor idealistic technodweeb puts outs a patch. I'd rather keep up with
    the Jones' & not worry about that sort of thing. ;-)

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake "rlgl81" <rlgl81@hotmail.com>, 10 Feb 2005 18:34:33 -0800, Anno
    Domini:

    >Well XP comes with the firewall allready installed all SP@ does is
    >activate the firewall if you havent turned it on. I play many online
    >games and the firewall has never giving me a problem. If it does all
    >you need to do is go to your internet settings and disable it while you
    >play. I would havee to recommended the firewall becasue you can never
    >have to much security.

    Not quite. It introduces clientside app blocking (ala Zonealarm) in SP2,
    which is worth it imo.

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> skrev i meddelelsen

    > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    > than I do.

    My advice: Upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro.

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

    Thus spake Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid>, 11 Feb 2005 23:14:49 GMT,
    Anno Domini:

    >Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> skrev i meddelelsen
    >
    >> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    >> than I do.
    >
    >My advice: Upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro.

    My advice (from an professional of over 20 yrs) : a 5 yr old OS is like a 30
    yr old car - it may go nice & look good with a *lot* of tlc, but good luck
    getting compatible parts & qualified mechanics when it breaks. And that's
    only if you just take it out on weekends - drive it hard every day & it's
    scrap metal after a few short years...>8^D

    WinXP Pro SP1 - for anyone with half a brain & the other half not full of
    irrational prejudices;
    WinXP Pro SP2 - for anyone with the other half that actually knows what the
    1st half is doing.

    This ends your community service announcement from someone who has used them
    all *extensively*. Have a nice day. :)

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo wrote:

    > My advice (from an professional of over 20 yrs) : a 5 yr old OS is like a 30
    > yr old car - it may go nice & look good with a *lot* of tlc, but good luck
    > getting compatible parts & qualified mechanics when it breaks. And that's
    > only if you just take it out on weekends - drive it hard every day & it's
    > scrap metal after a few short years...>8^D

    To an extent, but 2k is really well supported in the market place and
    most of the drivers and apps work in either 2k or XP very well.

    > WinXP Pro SP1 - for anyone with half a brain & the other half not full of
    > irrational prejudices;

    XP SP1 is fine...although I'm not too happy with the over all
    performance on middle end systems with only 256mb of RAM. If you run XP
    make sure you have 512mb RAM and a decentish system. A 1.2ghz or better
    would be your best bet.

    > WinXP Pro SP2 - for anyone with the other half that actually knows what the
    > 1st half is doing.

    GAH! SP2 is awful. It doesn't install correctly, it breaks apps, and
    the damn thing invades everything...

    > This ends your community service announcement from someone who has used them
    > all *extensively*. Have a nice day. :)

    Nick Burns your company computer guy... ;-)
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> once tried to test me with:

    > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    > than I do.

    Jedi Knight and PST both work fine under XP SP2. I have not yet found a
    game that didn't work on it.

    Beyond Good & Evil was mentioned but it works fine for me on XP SP2.

    --

    Knight37

  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:

    > XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
    > that's a boondoggle.

    What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
    fixes that IMHO are essential.

    --

    Knight37

  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> once tried to test me with:

    > "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
    >> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    >> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    >> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    >> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    >> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know
    >> more than I do.
    >
    > categorically NO!
    >
    > SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you
    > should avoid it at all costs.
    >
    > Do NOT install it.

    Umm, can you be more specific?

    --

    Knight37

  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
    > Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    >> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    >> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    >> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    >> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    >> than I do.
    >
    > Jedi Knight and PST both work fine under XP SP2. I have not yet found a
    > game that didn't work on it.
    >
    > Beyond Good & Evil was mentioned but it works fine for me on XP SP2.

    Your post made me try reinstalling SP2 - BG&E now runs fine!

    --

    Derek
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:30:45 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
    wrote:

    >WinXP Pro SP1 - for anyone with half a brain & the other half not full of
    >irrational prejudices;
    >WinXP Pro SP2 - for anyone with the other half that actually knows what the
    >1st half is doing.

    Allegedly, SP2 won't work on some key-genned installations. A general
    Google search indicates that Microsoft has changed the formula for
    corporate keys and reissued them, thus requiring keygens to be re-written
    from scratch.

    I haven't personally tested this - it could instead be FUD carefully seeded
    by some people.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> once tried to test me with:

    >> Beyond Good & Evil was mentioned but it works fine for me on XP SP2.
    >>

    > Your post made me try reinstalling SP2 - BG&E now runs fine!

    Good! :)

    --

    Knight37

  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:25:38 GMT, Anno
    Domini:

    >Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:
    >

    >> XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
    >> that's a boondoggle.
    >

    >What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
    >fixes that IMHO are essential.

    They are having problems with either installing it properly, understanding
    how to use it or both. SP2 has no real known probs. Nothing to see here -
    move along pls.

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:26:26 GMT, Anno
    Domini:

    >"Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> once tried to test me with:
    >

    >> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
    >>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >>> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    >>> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    >>> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    >>> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    >>> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know
    >>> more than I do.
    >>
    >> categorically NO!
    >>
    >> SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you
    >> should avoid it at all costs.
    >>
    >> Do NOT install it.
    >
    >Umm, can you be more specific?

    Probably not. It's an emotional response brought about by impetuousness &
    lack of understanding. But those kinds of responses are the ones you will
    see here most frequently - the vocal minority who are having trouble with
    SP2 & NOT taking responsibility for it i.e. must be someone else's fault.
    The system works just fine, end of story.

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:23:59 GMT, Anno
    Domini:

    >Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
    >> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
    >> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
    >> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
    >> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
    >> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
    >> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
    >> than I do.
    >
    >Jedi Knight and PST both work fine under XP SP2. I have not yet found a
    >game that didn't work on it.
    >
    >Beyond Good & Evil was mentioned but it works fine for me on XP SP2.

    Go with the evidence Knight37 & have some faith in MS mate ;-)

    (after all, they know how to make money & money talks, bullshit walks,
    right? If they can't patch it inside a month noone can! ;-)

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

    >Allegedly, SP2 won't work on some key-genned installations. A general
    >Google search indicates that Microsoft has changed the formula for
    >corporate keys and reissued them, thus requiring keygens to be re-written
    >from scratch.
    >
    >I haven't personally tested this - it could instead be FUD carefully seeded
    >by some people.

    No, it is true, pirate keys Microsoft knew about were banned in SP2.
    The same happened in SP1 if you remember.

    --
    The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_2567438.htm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3981499.stm
    http://www.fsfinalword.com/archive/Divide_and_conquer.html

    The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Knight37 wrote:

    > Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:
    >

    >>XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
    >>that's a boondoggle.
    >

    > What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
    > fixes that IMHO are essential.

    It also has security holes for those security fixes ;-)

    The problem with SP2 is that it breaks things and doesn't always install
    smoothly. I had a hassle with it on one computer, but on another one it
    worked fine. It just is too iffy for me....
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo wrote:

    > Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:25:38 GMT, Anno
    > Domini:
    >

    >>Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:
    >>

    >>>XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
    >>>that's a boondoggle.
    >>

    >>What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
    >>fixes that IMHO are essential.
    >

    > They are having problems with either installing it properly, understanding
    > how to use it or both. SP2 has no real known probs. Nothing to see here -
    > move along pls.

    XP SP2 Vulnerable:
    http://www.desktoppipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=59200273

    Programs SP2 has issues with:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

    SP2 limits the amount of outbound connections and can hamper online play
    (near the middle of the page about the outbound stuff):
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx#XSLTsection127121120120

    SP2 still has security issues:
    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7297_16-5324897.html

    XP SP2 is still a problem. I couldn't find any of the install issues,
    but they are out there. SP2 is problematic and doesn't allow my
    computer to run some of my old programs, or new ones for that matter.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <gous0116pm9tp2mm049c4hnhudocb59j27@4ax.com>, Nostromo
    wrote:
    > Probably not. It's an emotional response brought about by
    > impetuousness & lack of understanding. But those kinds of
    > vocal minority who are having trouble with SP2 & NOT taking
    > responsibility for it i.e. must be someone else's fault. The
    > system works just fine, end of story.

    I've had no problems at all with SP2, and I never will either. ;)

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    It will work out, somehow. That's a hell of a duo right there,

    Neil Cerutti wrote:
    > In article <gous0116pm9tp2mm049c4hnhudocb59j27@4ax.com>, Nostromo
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Probably not. It's an emotional response brought about by
    >>impetuousness & lack of understanding. But those kinds of
    >>vocal minority who are having trouble with SP2 & NOT taking
    >>responsibility for it i.e. must be someone else's fault. The
    >>system works just fine, end of story.
    >

    > I've had no problems at all with SP2, and I never will either. ;)

    Too confident. Just allow the fact that some people (myself included)
    are worried and/or have had problems. Don't assume SP2 works well for
    everyone, otherwise you'll sound (more) like an arrogant prick.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net>, Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:56:04
    -0700, Anno Domini:

    >Nostromo wrote:
    >
    >> Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:25:38 GMT, Anno
    >> Domini:
    >>

    >>>Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:

    >>>What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
    >>>fixes that IMHO are essential.
    >>

    >> They are having problems with either installing it properly, understanding
    >> how to use it or both. SP2 has no real known probs. Nothing to see here -
    >> move along pls.
    >
    >XP SP2 Vulnerable:
    >http://www.desktoppipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=59200273

    No different from SP1 or any other version of windows. Try to stay focuses.
    We were talking about end user problems with *usability* & *stability*.

    >Programs SP2 has issues with:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

    As there have been with every version of windows. Move along pls.

    >SP2 limits the amount of outbound connections and can hamper online play
    >(near the middle of the page about the outbound stuff):
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx#XSLTsection127121120120

    Only really an issue for P2P slurping. One simple patch fixes that. Next.

    >SP2 still has security issues:
    >http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7297_16-5324897.html

    *yawn*

    >XP SP2 is still a problem. I couldn't find any of the install issues,
    >but they are out there. SP2 is problematic and doesn't allow my

    The truth is out there, ey? From the mouths of idiots maybe *sigh*...

    >computer to run some of my old programs, or new ones for that matter.

    Look deeper I suggest. ;-p

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <421134af$1@yorrell.saard.net>, GFree wrote:
    > Neil Cerutti wrote:
    >> In article <gous0116pm9tp2mm049c4hnhudocb59j27@4ax.com>, Nostromo
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Probably not. It's an emotional response brought about by
    >>>impetuousness & lack of understanding. But those kinds of
    >>>vocal minority who are having trouble with SP2 & NOT taking
    >>>responsibility for it i.e. must be someone else's fault. The
    >>>system works just fine, end of story.
    >>

    >> I've had no problems at all with SP2, and I never will either. ;)
    >>

    > Too confident. Just allow the fact that some people (myself included)
    > are worried and/or have had problems. Don't assume SP2 works well for
    > everyone, otherwise you'll sound (more) like an arrogant prick.

    Dude, I'm never going to have problems with it because I'm never
    going to install it.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> skrev i meddelelsen

    > My advice (from an professional of over 20 yrs) : a 5 yr old OS is
    > like a 30 yr old car - it may go nice & look good with a *lot* of tlc,

    Tell your Professional friend from another Professional: What a load of
    bull. Win2K SP4 came last year - there's nothing you can do with XP, that
    you can't do with Win2K.

    The first thing I do when installing XP is getting rid of the bells,
    whistles and "user friendly" gadgets. Then it's almost managable.

    --
    "Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely
    helps them to deceive themselves." Eric Hoffer

    "G.B." <nonono@nospam.invalid> writes:

    > Tell your Professional friend from another Professional: What a load of
    > bull. Win2K SP4 came last year - there's nothing you can do with XP, that
    > you can't do with Win2K.

    I'd have to agree, software and cars are completely different.
    Software does not degrade over time. There may be new features or
    requirements that people find important as time passes, but it's not
    going to wear out like a car. There are still systems that use stuff
    far older than Windows, because they work and there's no need
    to spend time and money on something else.

    On the other hand, Microsoft is going to drop W2K support very soon,
    and for some people (like large corporations) that may outweigh other
    concerns. A supported but bloated OS may be considered better than a
    lean one that works properly.

    There are also people who just feel a deeply ingrained need to only
    have the latest of a particular item (not necessarily the greatest).
    The technophiles may be irritating, but if it weren't for them and
    their constant desire to stay current, many of us would be out of
    jobs...

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Where am I? In the village... What do you want? Information...

    Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> once tried to test me with:

    > On the other hand, Microsoft is going to drop W2K support very soon,
    > and for some people (like large corporations) that may outweigh other
    > concerns. A supported but bloated OS may be considered better than a
    > lean one that works properly.

    However, XP is not bloated, so you're making a false analogy here.

    It works great, it's a great OS. It's more stable for me than my system
    that run Win 2000, which since it's different hardware might not be the
    issue but it probably is (based on the types of crashes I'm getting).

    --

    Knight37

  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Knight37 wrote:

    > Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> once tried to test me with:
    >

    >>On the other hand, Microsoft is going to drop W2K support very soon,
    >>and for some people (like large corporations) that may outweigh other
    >>concerns. A supported but bloated OS may be considered better than a
    >>lean one that works properly.
    >

    > However, XP is not bloated, so you're making a false analogy here.

    Come on Knight...XP may be a lot of things, but it is bloated...just
    like Gnome, KDE, OSX, and my butt...
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:10:14 -0700, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Knight37 wrote:
    >
    >> Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> once tried to test me with:
    >>

    >>>On the other hand, Microsoft is going to drop W2K support very soon,
    >>>and for some people (like large corporations) that may outweigh other
    >>>concerns. A supported but bloated OS may be considered better than a
    >>>lean one that works properly.
    >>

    >> However, XP is not bloated, so you're making a false analogy here.
    >
    >Come on Knight...XP may be a lot of things, but it is bloated...just
    >like Gnome, KDE, OSX, and my butt...

    You only need to remove Themes, System Restore, Netmeeting, Outlook
    Express, Internet Explorer, the dllcache, the help files and the Media
    Player. Hardly anything at all! *cough, cough*

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:57:31 +1100, Nostromo wrote:

    > Agree with all of that 100%. And there's probably a half dozen other tweaks
    > I've stuck in there over the past 2 yrs I'm gonna miss when I get my new
    > rig...unless I just ghost the current disk >:-)

    But then you'll have to dial up MS and get it re-validated for the new
    hardware... ;)
    --
    RJB
    2/16/2005 9:21:02 AM

    "What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator."
    -Anon.
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 15 Feb 2005 13:55:32 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>
    wrote:

    >Dude, I'm never going to have problems with it because I'm never
    >going to install it.

    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=10&submit.y=8&submit=GO%21

    Notes:

    1. ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be
    installed.

PC gaming Games Windows XP Video Games