Windows XP SP2

Last response: in Video Games
February 10, 2005 9:27:08 AM

I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
than I do.

More about : windows sp2

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:43:32 AM

"Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com...
> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

categorically NO!

SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
avoid it at all costs.

Do NOT install it.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:17:46 PM

Scared Cat wrote:

> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

With the name "Scared Cat" and the point of the post it is obvious you
are just trying, poorly I might add, to troll.

However, no I would not install SP2 as it only causes heart ache and
pain. Plus it actually has some security issues with it.
http://www.desktoppipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articl...
February 10, 2005 3:18:41 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:27:08 -0600, Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote:

>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>avoided it.

Don't worry about the firewall or new security features in SP2 - all they
do is prevent unknonw applications from accessing the Internet, inform you
of automatic updates, and inform you of a lack of anti-virus software.

There may be games failing under SP2 - but I doubt these two are faulty.

> I am not great at working out computer related problems
>either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>than I do.

The worst case scenario is that you need to reinstall your operating
system. I currently have SP2, and don't yet have problems - in fact, a
fresh SP2 install seems to be working better than SP1 cluttered with
whatever's been installed.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:46:24 PM

"Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com...
> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
Beyond Good and Evil to run.

--
Derek
February 10, 2005 3:56:24 PM

Derek Baker wrote:

> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
> news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com...
> > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> > than I do.
>
> Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
> Beyond Good and Evil to run.
>
> --
> Derek

I've stayed away from it, myself, since gaming is a major use for my
system.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 3:56:25 PM

RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> writes:

> Derek Baker wrote:
> >
> > "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
> > news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com...
> > > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> > > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> > > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> > > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> > > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> > > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> > > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> > > than I do.
> >
> > Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
> > Beyond Good and Evil to run.
> >
> > --
> > Derek
>
> I've stayed away from it, myself, since gaming is a major use for my
> system.
>
> --
>
> Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.
>
> "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

Once SP2 is installed you can just turn off the firewall, etc. and
continue to use your 3rd party stuff. I have it install on my PC at
work and I've had no trouble using anything although I don't game at
work.

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)

Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:

>In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>
>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
not understand).
Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:23:10 PM

Thusly Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> Spake Unto All:

>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>and I was worried about them still working.

Congrats, you're in for two treats. I'd play them one at a time,
though, they're worth savoring. Play KOTOR first, IMO, even though
it's newer.

Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:23:11 PM

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thusly Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> Spake Unto All:
>
> >I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> >Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> >and I was worried about them still working.
>
> Congrats, you're in for two treats. I'd play them one at a time,
> though, they're worth savoring. Play KOTOR first, IMO, even though
> it's newer.
>
> Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
> Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.

I have to say when I read Jedi Knight, I assumed that the OP meant Jedi
Outcast or Academy.

But I can confirm KOTOR runs under XP SP2.

--
Derek
Anonymous

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:
>
> >In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
> >> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> >> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> >
> >Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
>
> Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
> get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
> me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
> antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
> not understand).
> Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.

Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
"Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

On 10 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc10.wpi.edu> wrote:

>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:

>> >Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
>>
>> Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
>> get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
>> me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
>> antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
>> not understand).
>> Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.
>>

>Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
>"Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
>the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

Or Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and just set the
Security Center service to "disabled". Even fewer resources devoted to
something you don't really need.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Thusly "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> Spake Unto All:

>> Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
>> Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.
>
>I have to say when I read Jedi Knight, I assumed that the OP meant Jedi
>Outcast or Academy.

LOL!
You know, that never even occurred to me.
Haha, there's just too many star wars games out there to keep track of
them all! :-)

>But I can confirm KOTOR runs under XP SP2.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:23:16 PM

Thusly Scott Streeter <ss@ccc10.wpi.edu> Spake Unto All:

>> Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
>> get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
>> me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot

>Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
>"Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
>the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

Ah, cheers! Right, now I can honestly say I have no problems at all
with SP2!
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 9:34:33 PM

Well XP comes with the firewall allready installed all SP@ does is
activate the firewall if you havent turned it on. I play many online
games and the firewall has never giving me a problem. If it does all
you need to do is go to your internet settings and disable it while you
play. I would havee to recommended the firewall becasue you can never
have to much security.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:36:49 AM

Thusly Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

>Or Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and just set the
>Security Center service to "disabled". Even fewer resources devoted to
>something you don't really need.

Oh, it's a service! Why didn't I think of checking there?

Thanks for the tip, turned it off, and finally my taskbar is free of
the little shield!

Thanks! Both of you!

--
The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_25...

The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:15:49 AM

Melketh wrote:
> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
> news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com...
>
>>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>>and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>>Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>>the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>>avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
>>either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>>than I do.
>

> categorically NO!
>
> SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
> avoid it at all costs.
>
> Do NOT install it.

Yeah.

I have had SP1 installed for a very long time and have nothing but
praise for it (mainly because there's nothing wrong with it). I haven't
tried SP2 however cos I'm afraid of breaking an otherwise stable system.

I have a firewall and AV software already. Apart from the latest
security patches from Windows Update I don't think there's any real need
to risk SP2 (IMHO).
February 11, 2005 10:31:13 AM

Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>
>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p

There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform come out of
Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell yourself is a delusion based on
many, many hours wasted tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

February 11, 2005 10:31:14 AM

In article <31hn01pqo5l946hiu3lvsa9cfnmc61qhud@4ax.com>, Nostromo wrote:
> Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
> Anno Domini:
>>In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared
>>Cat wrote:
>>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight
>>> and Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know,
>>> I know..)
>>
>>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
>
> Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p

That'll teach ya.

> There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform
> come out of Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell
> yourself is a delusion based on many, many hours wasted
> tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard

XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
that's a boondoggle.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, scaredy@cat.cat
says...
> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

I had problems with it. It changes tcp/ip for instance in a way that
software like Kazaa lite will keep crashing.

It introduces DRM deep into the bowels of your OS - who cares? Well I
care, the moment Windows Media Player informs me that it has to call
Mickey$oft and find out if I am actually allowed to watch the .wmv file
I have been able to watch many times before (!!!).

The 'security centre' that still interfered with my tcp traffic despite
being disabled was a relatively minor nuissance, I figured out how to
disable that pretty quickly (and wasn't the 'security centre' the most
compelling reason to *get* SP 2 in the first place?).

Naw, don't put in on your machine if you can avoid it. I uninstalled it
pretty quickly, except it didn't actually get its claws out of my system
- there are aspects of it still active here.

Which makes me think 'malware'.

-Peter
February 11, 2005 10:54:59 PM

Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 21:15:22 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>In article <31hn01pqo5l946hiu3lvsa9cfnmc61qhud@4ax.com>, Nostromo wrote:
>> Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
>> Anno Domini:
>>>
>>>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
>>
>> Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p
>
>That'll teach ya.

Heh.

>> There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform
>> come out of Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell
>> yourself is a delusion based on many, many hours wasted
>> tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard
>
>XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
>that's a boondoggle.

Just needs a little extra TLC. I used SP1 & the inbuilt firewall quite
extensively & happily, so I was at home with SP2. Only problem is what it
does to P2P with it's limit on 10 concurrent failed tcp connections / sec.
Easily hacked ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 11, 2005 10:57:18 PM

Thus spake GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:15:49 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>Melketh wrote:
>> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
>> news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com...
>>
>>>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>>>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>>>and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>>>Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>>>the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>>>avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
>>>either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>>>than I do.
>>

>> categorically NO!
>>
>> SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
>> avoid it at all costs.
>>
>> Do NOT install it.
>>

>Yeah.
>
>I have had SP1 installed for a very long time and have nothing but
>praise for it (mainly because there's nothing wrong with it). I haven't
>tried SP2 however cos I'm afraid of breaking an otherwise stable system.
>
>I have a firewall and AV software already. Apart from the latest
>security patches from Windows Update I don't think there's any real need
>to risk SP2 (IMHO).

It's all about futureproofing. Eventually something breaks. And then you
spend hours/days trying in vein to get it working or do without until some
other poor idealistic technodweeb puts outs a patch. I'd rather keep up with
the Jones' & not worry about that sort of thing. ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 11, 2005 10:59:21 PM

Thus spake "rlgl81" <rlgl81@hotmail.com>, 10 Feb 2005 18:34:33 -0800, Anno
Domini:

>Well XP comes with the firewall allready installed all SP@ does is
>activate the firewall if you havent turned it on. I play many online
>games and the firewall has never giving me a problem. If it does all
>you need to do is go to your internet settings and disable it while you
>play. I would havee to recommended the firewall becasue you can never
>have to much security.

Not quite. It introduces clientside app blocking (ala Zonealarm) in SP2,
which is worth it imo.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 12, 2005 2:14:49 AM

Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> skrev i meddelelsen
news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com:

> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

My advice: Upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

Thus spake Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid>, 11 Feb 2005 23:14:49 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> skrev i meddelelsen
>news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com:
>
>> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>> than I do.
>
>My advice: Upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro.

My advice (from an professional of over 20 yrs) : a 5 yr old OS is like a 30
yr old car - it may go nice & look good with a *lot* of tlc, but good luck
getting compatible parts & qualified mechanics when it breaks. And that's
only if you just take it out on weekends - drive it hard every day & it's
scrap metal after a few short years...>8^D

WinXP Pro SP1 - for anyone with half a brain & the other half not full of
irrational prejudices;
WinXP Pro SP2 - for anyone with the other half that actually knows what the
1st half is doing.

This ends your community service announcement from someone who has used them
all *extensively*. Have a nice day. :)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 12, 2005 1:30:46 PM

Nostromo wrote:

> My advice (from an professional of over 20 yrs) : a 5 yr old OS is like a 30
> yr old car - it may go nice & look good with a *lot* of tlc, but good luck
> getting compatible parts & qualified mechanics when it breaks. And that's
> only if you just take it out on weekends - drive it hard every day & it's
> scrap metal after a few short years...>8^D

To an extent, but 2k is really well supported in the market place and
most of the drivers and apps work in either 2k or XP very well.

> WinXP Pro SP1 - for anyone with half a brain & the other half not full of
> irrational prejudices;

XP SP1 is fine...although I'm not too happy with the over all
performance on middle end systems with only 256mb of RAM. If you run XP
make sure you have 512mb RAM and a decentish system. A 1.2ghz or better
would be your best bet.

> WinXP Pro SP2 - for anyone with the other half that actually knows what the
> 1st half is doing.

GAH! SP2 is awful. It doesn't install correctly, it breaks apps, and
the damn thing invades everything...

> This ends your community service announcement from someone who has used them
> all *extensively*. Have a nice day. :)

Nick Burns your company computer guy... ;-)
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 11:23:59 PM

Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> once tried to test me with:

> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

Jedi Knight and PST both work fine under XP SP2. I have not yet found a
game that didn't work on it.

Beyond Good & Evil was mentioned but it works fine for me on XP SP2.

--

Knight37

February 12, 2005 11:25:38 PM

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:

> XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
> that's a boondoggle.

What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
fixes that IMHO are essential.

--

Knight37

February 12, 2005 11:26:26 PM

"Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> once tried to test me with:

> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
> news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com...
>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
>> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know
>> more than I do.
>
> categorically NO!
>
> SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you
> should avoid it at all costs.
>
> Do NOT install it.

Umm, can you be more specific?

--

Knight37

February 13, 2005 1:31:04 AM

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> once tried to test me with:
>
>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
>> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>> than I do.
>
> Jedi Knight and PST both work fine under XP SP2. I have not yet found a
> game that didn't work on it.
>
> Beyond Good & Evil was mentioned but it works fine for me on XP SP2.

Your post made me try reinstalling SP2 - BG&E now runs fine!

--

Derek
Anonymous

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:30:45 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
wrote:

>WinXP Pro SP1 - for anyone with half a brain & the other half not full of
>irrational prejudices;
>WinXP Pro SP2 - for anyone with the other half that actually knows what the
>1st half is doing.

Allegedly, SP2 won't work on some key-genned installations. A general
Google search indicates that Microsoft has changed the formula for
corporate keys and reissued them, thus requiring keygens to be re-written
from scratch.

I haven't personally tested this - it could instead be FUD carefully seeded
by some people.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:00:00 AM

"Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> once tried to test me with:

>> Beyond Good & Evil was mentioned but it works fine for me on XP SP2.
>>

> Your post made me try reinstalling SP2 - BG&E now runs fine!

Good! :)

--

Knight37

February 13, 2005 11:54:21 AM

Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:25:38 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:
>

>> XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
>> that's a boondoggle.
>

>What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
>fixes that IMHO are essential.

They are having problems with either installing it properly, understanding
how to use it or both. SP2 has no real known probs. Nothing to see here -
move along pls.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 13, 2005 11:56:39 AM

Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:26:26 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>"Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> once tried to test me with:
>

>> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
>> news:o ejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com...
>>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>>> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>>> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>>> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>>> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
>>> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know
>>> more than I do.
>>
>> categorically NO!
>>
>> SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you
>> should avoid it at all costs.
>>
>> Do NOT install it.
>
>Umm, can you be more specific?

Probably not. It's an emotional response brought about by impetuousness &
lack of understanding. But those kinds of responses are the ones you will
see here most frequently - the vocal minority who are having trouble with
SP2 & NOT taking responsibility for it i.e. must be someone else's fault.
The system works just fine, end of story.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 13, 2005 11:58:02 AM

Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:23:59 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> once tried to test me with:
>
>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
>> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>> than I do.
>
>Jedi Knight and PST both work fine under XP SP2. I have not yet found a
>game that didn't work on it.
>
>Beyond Good & Evil was mentioned but it works fine for me on XP SP2.

Go with the evidence Knight37 & have some faith in MS mate ;-)

(after all, they know how to make money & money talks, bullshit walks,
right? If they can't patch it inside a month noone can! ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 13, 2005 2:24:34 PM

Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

>Allegedly, SP2 won't work on some key-genned installations. A general
>Google search indicates that Microsoft has changed the formula for
>corporate keys and reissued them, thus requiring keygens to be re-written
>from scratch.
>
>I haven't personally tested this - it could instead be FUD carefully seeded
>by some people.

No, it is true, pirate keys Microsoft knew about were banned in SP2.
The same happened in SP1 if you remember.

--
The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_25...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3981499.stm
http://www.fsfinalword.com/archive/Divide_and_conquer.h...

The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:45:06 PM

Knight37 wrote:

> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:
>

>>XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
>>that's a boondoggle.
>

> What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
> fixes that IMHO are essential.

It also has security holes for those security fixes ;-)

The problem with SP2 is that it breaks things and doesn't always install
smoothly. I had a hassle with it on one computer, but on another one it
worked fine. It just is too iffy for me....
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:56:04 PM

Nostromo wrote:

> Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:25:38 GMT, Anno
> Domini:
>

>>Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:
>>

>>>XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
>>>that's a boondoggle.
>>

>>What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
>>fixes that IMHO are essential.
>

> They are having problems with either installing it properly, understanding
> how to use it or both. SP2 has no real known probs. Nothing to see here -
> move along pls.

XP SP2 Vulnerable:
http://www.desktoppipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articl...

Programs SP2 has issues with:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&p...

SP2 limits the amount of outbound connections and can hamper online play
(near the middle of the page about the outbound stuff):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

SP2 still has security issues:
http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7297_16-53...

XP SP2 is still a problem. I couldn't find any of the install issues,
but they are out there. SP2 is problematic and doesn't allow my
computer to run some of my old programs, or new ones for that matter.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:10:26 PM

In article <gous0116pm9tp2mm049c4hnhudocb59j27@4ax.com>, Nostromo
wrote:
> Probably not. It's an emotional response brought about by
> impetuousness & lack of understanding. But those kinds of
> vocal minority who are having trouble with SP2 & NOT taking
> responsibility for it i.e. must be someone else's fault. The
> system works just fine, end of story.

I've had no problems at all with SP2, and I never will either. ;)

--
Neil Cerutti
It will work out, somehow. That's a hell of a duo right there,

Neil Cerutti wrote:
> In article <gous0116pm9tp2mm049c4hnhudocb59j27@4ax.com>, Nostromo
> wrote:
>
>>Probably not. It's an emotional response brought about by
>>impetuousness & lack of understanding. But those kinds of
>>vocal minority who are having trouble with SP2 & NOT taking
>>responsibility for it i.e. must be someone else's fault. The
>>system works just fine, end of story.
>

> I've had no problems at all with SP2, and I never will either. ;)

Too confident. Just allow the fact that some people (myself included)
are worried and/or have had problems. Don't assume SP2 works well for
everyone, otherwise you'll sound (more) like an arrogant prick.
February 15, 2005 10:28:20 AM

Thus spake James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net>, Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:56:04
-0700, Anno Domini:

>Nostromo wrote:
>
>> Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 12 Feb 2005 20:25:38 GMT, Anno
>> Domini:
>>

>>>Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> once tried to test me with:

>>>What problems? I have had zero issues with it. And it has a lot of security
>>>fixes that IMHO are essential.
>>

>> They are having problems with either installing it properly, understanding
>> how to use it or both. SP2 has no real known probs. Nothing to see here -
>> move along pls.
>
>XP SP2 Vulnerable:
>http://www.desktoppipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articl...

No different from SP1 or any other version of windows. Try to stay focuses.
We were talking about end user problems with *usability* & *stability*.

>Programs SP2 has issues with:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&p...

As there have been with every version of windows. Move along pls.

>SP2 limits the amount of outbound connections and can hamper online play
>(near the middle of the page about the outbound stuff):
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

Only really an issue for P2P slurping. One simple patch fixes that. Next.

>SP2 still has security issues:
>http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/4520-7297_16-53...

*yawn*

>XP SP2 is still a problem. I couldn't find any of the install issues,
>but they are out there. SP2 is problematic and doesn't allow my

The truth is out there, ey? From the mouths of idiots maybe *sigh*...

>computer to run some of my old programs, or new ones for that matter.

Look deeper I suggest. ;-p

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 15, 2005 4:55:32 PM

In article <421134af$1@yorrell.saard.net>, GFree wrote:
> Neil Cerutti wrote:
>> In article <gous0116pm9tp2mm049c4hnhudocb59j27@4ax.com>, Nostromo
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Probably not. It's an emotional response brought about by
>>>impetuousness & lack of understanding. But those kinds of
>>>vocal minority who are having trouble with SP2 & NOT taking
>>>responsibility for it i.e. must be someone else's fault. The
>>>system works just fine, end of story.
>>

>> I've had no problems at all with SP2, and I never will either. ;)
>>

> Too confident. Just allow the fact that some people (myself included)
> are worried and/or have had problems. Don't assume SP2 works well for
> everyone, otherwise you'll sound (more) like an arrogant prick.

Dude, I'm never going to have problems with it because I'm never
going to install it.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> skrev i meddelelsen

> My advice (from an professional of over 20 yrs) : a 5 yr old OS is
> like a 30 yr old car - it may go nice & look good with a *lot* of tlc,

Tell your Professional friend from another Professional: What a load of
bull. Win2K SP4 came last year - there's nothing you can do with XP, that
you can't do with Win2K.

The first thing I do when installing XP is getting rid of the bells,
whistles and "user friendly" gadgets. Then it's almost managable.

--
"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely
helps them to deceive themselves." Eric Hoffer

"G.B." <nonono@nospam.invalid> writes:

> Tell your Professional friend from another Professional: What a load of
> bull. Win2K SP4 came last year - there's nothing you can do with XP, that
> you can't do with Win2K.

I'd have to agree, software and cars are completely different.
Software does not degrade over time. There may be new features or
requirements that people find important as time passes, but it's not
going to wear out like a car. There are still systems that use stuff
far older than Windows, because they work and there's no need
to spend time and money on something else.

On the other hand, Microsoft is going to drop W2K support very soon,
and for some people (like large corporations) that may outweigh other
concerns. A supported but bloated OS may be considered better than a
lean one that works properly.

There are also people who just feel a deeply ingrained need to only
have the latest of a particular item (not necessarily the greatest).
The technophiles may be irritating, but if it weren't for them and
their constant desire to stay current, many of us would be out of
jobs...

--
Darin Johnson
Where am I? In the village... What do you want? Information...

Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> once tried to test me with:

> On the other hand, Microsoft is going to drop W2K support very soon,
> and for some people (like large corporations) that may outweigh other
> concerns. A supported but bloated OS may be considered better than a
> lean one that works properly.

However, XP is not bloated, so you're making a false analogy here.

It works great, it's a great OS. It's more stable for me than my system
that run Win 2000, which since it's different hardware might not be the
issue but it probably is (based on the types of crashes I'm getting).

--

Knight37

February 16, 2005 8:03:05 AM

Knight37 wrote:

> Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> once tried to test me with:
>

>>On the other hand, Microsoft is going to drop W2K support very soon,
>>and for some people (like large corporations) that may outweigh other
>>concerns. A supported but bloated OS may be considered better than a
>>lean one that works properly.
>

> However, XP is not bloated, so you're making a false analogy here.

Come on Knight...XP may be a lot of things, but it is bloated...just
like Gnome, KDE, OSX, and my butt...
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:03:06 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:10:14 -0700, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Knight37 wrote:
>
>> Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> once tried to test me with:
>>

>>>On the other hand, Microsoft is going to drop W2K support very soon,
>>>and for some people (like large corporations) that may outweigh other
>>>concerns. A supported but bloated OS may be considered better than a
>>>lean one that works properly.
>>

>> However, XP is not bloated, so you're making a false analogy here.
>
>Come on Knight...XP may be a lot of things, but it is bloated...just
>like Gnome, KDE, OSX, and my butt...

You only need to remove Themes, System Restore, Netmeeting, Outlook
Express, Internet Explorer, the dllcache, the help files and the Media
Player. Hardly anything at all! *cough, cough*

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:21:30 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:57:31 +1100, Nostromo wrote:

> Agree with all of that 100%. And there's probably a half dozen other tweaks
> I've stuck in there over the past 2 yrs I'm gonna miss when I get my new
> rig...unless I just ghost the current disk >:-)

But then you'll have to dial up MS and get it re-validated for the new
hardware... ;)
--
RJB
2/16/2005 9:21:02 AM

"What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator."
-Anon.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:37:34 PM

On 15 Feb 2005 13:55:32 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>
wrote:

>Dude, I'm never going to have problems with it because I'm never
>going to install it.

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.h...

Notes:

1. ATI recommends Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher to be
installed.
!