Windows XP SP2

I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
than I do.

"Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

categorically NO!

SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
avoid it at all costs.

Do NOT install it.

Scared Cat wrote:

> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

With the name "Scared Cat" and the point of the post it is obvious you
are just trying, poorly I might add, to troll.

However, no I would not install SP2 as it only causes heart ache and
pain. Plus it actually has some security issues with it.
http://www.desktoppipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=59200273

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:27:08 -0600, Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote:

>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>avoided it.

Don't worry about the firewall or new security features in SP2 - all they
do is prevent unknonw applications from accessing the Internet, inform you
of automatic updates, and inform you of a lack of anti-virus software.

There may be games failing under SP2 - but I doubt these two are faulty.

> I am not great at working out computer related problems
>either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>than I do.

The worst case scenario is that you need to reinstall your operating
system. I currently have SP2, and don't yet have problems - in fact, a
fresh SP2 install seems to be working better than SP1 cluttered with
whatever's been installed.

"Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
Beyond Good and Evil to run.

--
Derek

rogerm

Derek Baker wrote:

> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
> > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> > than I do.
>
> Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
> Beyond Good and Evil to run.
>
> --
> Derek

I've stayed away from it, myself, since gaming is a major use for my
system.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> writes:

> Derek Baker wrote:
> >
> > "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
> > > I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> > > Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> > > and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> > > Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> > > the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> > > avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> > > either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> > > than I do.
> >
> > Could be a problem with older games - I've just had to uninstall it to get
> > Beyond Good and Evil to run.
> >
> > --
> > Derek
>
> I've stayed away from it, myself, since gaming is a major use for my
> system.
>
> --
>
> Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.
>
> "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

Once SP2 is installed you can just turn off the firewall, etc. and
continue to use your 3rd party stuff. I have it install on my PC at
work and I've had no trouble using anything although I don't game at
work.

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)

Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

--
Neil Cerutti

Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:

>In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>
>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
not understand).
Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.

Thusly Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> Spake Unto All:

>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>and I was worried about them still working.

Congrats, you're in for two treats. I'd play them one at a time,
though, they're worth savoring. Play KOTOR first, IMO, even though
it's newer.

Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thusly Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> Spake Unto All:
>
> >I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> >Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> >and I was worried about them still working.
>
> Congrats, you're in for two treats. I'd play them one at a time,
> though, they're worth savoring. Play KOTOR first, IMO, even though
> it's newer.
>
> Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
> Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.

I have to say when I read Jedi Knight, I assumed that the OP meant Jedi
Outcast or Academy.

But I can confirm KOTOR runs under XP SP2.

--
Derek

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:
>
> >In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
> >> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> >> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> >
> >Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
>
> Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
> get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
> me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
> antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
> not understand).
> Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.

Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
"Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

On 10 Feb 2005 10:24:46 -0500, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc10.wpi.edu> wrote:

>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Thusly Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> Spake Unto All:

>> >Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
>>
>> Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
>> get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
>> me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot (I use Norton
>> antivirus & firewall, something Windows security center apparently can
>> not understand).
>> Then again, I've had no advantages of it either.
>>

>Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
>"Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
>the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

Or Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and just set the
Security Center service to "disabled". Even fewer resources devoted to
something you don't really need.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Thusly "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> Spake Unto All:

>> Anyway, I don't know about KOTOR, but PS:T works perfectly under SP2.
>> Am replaying it myself right now, for the fifth time.
>
>I have to say when I read Jedi Knight, I assumed that the OP meant Jedi
>Outcast or Academy.

LOL!
You know, that never even occurred to me.
Haha, there's just too many star wars games out there to keep track of
them all! :)

Thusly Scott Streeter <ss@ccc10.wpi.edu> Spake Unto All:

>> Frankly I've not had any problems with it at all, except that I cant
>> get the stupid "windows security alert" in the taskbar to stop telling
>> me my computer "might be at risk" every time I reboot

>Start->Control Panel->Security Center. There is an option there called
>"Change the way Security Center alerts me" in which you can turn off
>the warning messages that pop up in the taskbar.

Ah, cheers! Right, now I can honestly say I have no problems at all
with SP2!

Well XP comes with the firewall allready installed all SP@ does is
activate the firewall if you havent turned it on. I play many online
games and the firewall has never giving me a problem. If it does all
you need to do is go to your internet settings and disable it while you
play. I would havee to recommended the firewall becasue you can never
have to much security.

Thusly Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

>Or Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and just set the
>Security Center service to "disabled". Even fewer resources devoted to
>something you don't really need.

Oh, it's a service! Why didn't I think of checking there?

Thanks for the tip, turned it off, and finally my taskbar is free of
the little shield!

Thanks! Both of you!

--
The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_2567438.htm

The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!

Melketh wrote:
> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
>
>>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>>and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>>Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>>the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>>avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
>>either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>>than I do.
>

> categorically NO!
>
> SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
> avoid it at all costs.
>
> Do NOT install it.

Yeah.

I have had SP1 installed for a very long time and have nothing but
praise for it (mainly because there's nothing wrong with it). I haven't
tried SP2 however cos I'm afraid of breaking an otherwise stable system.

I have a firewall and AV software already. Apart from the latest
security patches from Windows Update I don't think there's any real need
to risk SP2 (IMHO).

nostromo

Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared Cat wrote:
>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>
>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"

Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p

There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform come out of
Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell yourself is a delusion based on
many, many hours wasted tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

In article <31hn01pqo5l946hiu3lvsa9cfnmc61qhud@4ax.com>, Nostromo wrote:
> Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
> Anno Domini:
>>In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, Scared
>>Cat wrote:
>>> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight
>>> and Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know,
>>> I know..)
>>
>>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
>
> Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p

That'll teach ya.

> There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform
> come out of Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell
> yourself is a delusion based on many, many hours wasted
> tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard

XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
that's a boondoggle.

--
Neil Cerutti

In article <oejm01l8dk21b8omrf6vqpub6pjuv7crsg@4ax.com>, scaredy@cat.cat
says...
> I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
> Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
> and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
> Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
> the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
> avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

I had problems with it. It changes tcp/ip for instance in a way that
software like Kazaa lite will keep crashing.

It introduces DRM deep into the bowels of your OS - who cares? Well I
care, the moment Windows Media Player informs me that it has to call
Mickey$oft and find out if I am actually allowed to watch the .wmv file
I have been able to watch many times before (!!!).

The 'security centre' that still interfered with my tcp traffic despite
being disabled was a relatively minor nuissance, I figured out how to
disable that pretty quickly (and wasn't the 'security centre' the most
compelling reason to *get* SP 2 in the first place?).

Naw, don't put in on your machine if you can avoid it. I uninstalled it
pretty quickly, except it didn't actually get its claws out of my system
- there are aspects of it still active here.

Which makes me think 'malware'.

-Peter

nostromo

Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 21:15:22 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>In article <31hn01pqo5l946hiu3lvsa9cfnmc61qhud@4ax.com>, Nostromo wrote:
>> Thus spake Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net>, 10 Feb 2005 13:41:43 GMT,
>> Anno Domini:
>>>
>>>Kathy Bates voice: "Windows XP SP2 is the DEVIL!"
>>
>> Oh dear, & I thought you were a rational one Neil ;-p
>
>That'll teach ya.

Heh.

>> There has never been a more accessible or stable OS platform
>> come out of Microslut, honestly. Anything else you tell
>> yourself is a delusion based on many, many hours wasted
>> tweaking Win98 or Win2K. Or you're a Linux diehard
>
>XP is great. I've had virtually no trouble with it. SP2, now
>that's a boondoggle.

Just needs a little extra TLC. I used SP1 & the inbuilt firewall quite
extensively & happily, so I was at home with SP2. Only problem is what it
does to P2P with it's limit on 10 concurrent failed tcp connections / sec.
Easily hacked ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

nostromo

Thus spake GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:15:49 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>Melketh wrote:
>> "Scared Cat" <scaredy@cat.cat> wrote in message
>>
>>>I run a few older games on my XP system including Jedi Knight and
>>>Planescape torment, both of which I just started (I know, I know..)
>>>and I was worried about them still working. Plus I already have
>>>Norton Internet Security on my system and I am happy with that... and
>>>the new firewall and security stuff in SP2 was a concern so I have
>>>avoided it. I am not great at working out computer related problems
>>>either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
>>>than I do.
>>

>> categorically NO!
>>
>> SP2 is complete SHITE. It WILL break things that were working and you should
>> avoid it at all costs.
>>
>> Do NOT install it.
>>

>Yeah.
>
>I have had SP1 installed for a very long time and have nothing but
>praise for it (mainly because there's nothing wrong with it). I haven't
>tried SP2 however cos I'm afraid of breaking an otherwise stable system.
>
>I have a firewall and AV software already. Apart from the latest
>security patches from Windows Update I don't think there's any real need
>to risk SP2 (IMHO).

It's all about futureproofing. Eventually something breaks. And then you
spend hours/days trying in vein to get it working or do without until some
other poor idealistic technodweeb puts outs a patch. I'd rather keep up with
the Jones' & not worry about that sort of thing. ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

nostromo

Thus spake "rlgl81" <rlgl81@hotmail.com>, 10 Feb 2005 18:34:33 -0800, Anno
Domini:

>Well XP comes with the firewall allready installed all SP@ does is
>activate the firewall if you havent turned it on. I play many online
>games and the firewall has never giving me a problem. If it does all
>you need to do is go to your internet settings and disable it while you
>play. I would havee to recommended the firewall becasue you can never
>have to much security.

Not quite. It introduces clientside app blocking (ala Zonealarm) in SP2,
which is worth it imo.

--

Scared Cat <scaredy@cat.cat> skrev i meddelelsen

> either. So should I install it or not? I figure you people know more
> than I do.

My advice: Upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u