The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
awaiting this spectacular looking game?

I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs, desires
and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by Bethesda}
will be running the show here.

Excited anyone?

Ceo-

Thusly "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> Spake Unto All:

>I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
>awaiting this spectacular looking game?

Most likely, yes.

>Excited anyone?

Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?

>>Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?

>Yep - excited, but patient.

And sceptical it will look like that and run at a decent framerate on
any PC most people have.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-10, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
> awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>
> I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
> footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
> than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
> there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
> cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs, desires
> and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by Bethesda}
> will be running the show here.
>
> Excited anyone?

Why?

Any MMO has this kind of world. SWG does it better with honest to
goodness players setting up museums and charging for entry.

Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.

The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
real MMOs or those who like to download mods that adds a +5 sword
to their inventory and makes little butterflies appear around
their avatars head.

1000 unique NPCs? How about clones spurting out the same wav file
as you walk by them in-game and a cardboard pop up with about 200
meaningless words that amount to "kill foozle #72"

Have you seen the Morrowind chit chat thread? It's not that they
need a life. They need a brain beyond "i downloaded mod
that gives me a three story home." How wonderfully shallow.

Name me a memorable character from Morrowind and tell me why they
are memorable.

Damn I'm not an AOL'er but I have to give Crpgnut a "ME TOO" post.

Killer Apps drive hardware sales and thus hardware development. We
wouldn't be in the wonderful world of 3D with farcry, HL2, Doom 3
without the driving force of applications needing better hardware for
the past 8 years.

MMO's make me greif. In fact the only fun is greifing. Morrowind is a
bit cardboard, but for it's time it was an incredible feat. Bethesda
has stated that they are well aware of the limitations to interaction
Morrowind has and seeks to go beyond it. I see the ES series as a MMO
without the annoying part: other players... packing servers, waiting
for spawns in long lines, waiting for use of the forge in long lines,
waiting to get wood to build useless furniture (except dropping it
around a player to trap them until a GM comes of course!), waiting to
get next to a training dummy to sit with a key depressed next to it to
build up your sword skill, begging for money to get leet. all this
paying 20$ a month for little to no new game content? Players setting
up museums? Oh my that's exciting. You know the people who make time
for that type of thing, and they ain't people you want to really
socialize with. Here's a nice product of the MMO's:

"Kanos is a peaceful guy, but we do have other members, 2 members have
now been kicked/asked to leave because of grefing now. Funny thing is
more and more people are now trying to tell I greif, now this is BS, my
pk score is 65 and all of them had it coming :p Well g2g now, "doing
sin quest" " Yeech.

As for the Morrowind mods, there aren't many that stretch what's
already done in the game. The firemoth keep is cool, the guy who
designed all the custom heads prettied up the game amazingly and I did
a series of ambushes for some friends that made life a lot more
dangerous (granted they were very Doom-esque).

A memorable character? That dude that falls from the sky near the
first town. So awesome. The last living dwarf is great too. I don't
remember too many people I've PK'ed, except that a lot of them typed in
"Why???" a lot. Funny!

What I hope ES IV does is integrate the living cities of games like
GTA. You can interact with the world as sort of a toy for awhile, then
delve into the quests and mission strings.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:20:00 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> Spake Unto All:
>
>>I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
>>awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>
>Most likely, yes.
>
>>Excited anyone?
>
>Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?

Yep - excited, but patient.

And what's with all the carrots ?

crpgnut

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?
>
> >Yep - excited, but patient.
>
> And sceptical it will look like that and run at a decent framerate on
> any PC most people have.

Bethesda even admits that they're developing the game for a cutting edge
system. That's cutting edge at the release date, not cutting edge today!
Bethesda is basically a modern day Origin. Origin built the best games they
could envision technically and expected you to upgrade your computer to play
their games. Bethesda does the same. I upgraded my system to play Morrowind
and I'll upgrade to play Oblivion. I haven't been disappointed yet.

>The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
>real MMOs...

I regard it is patently absurd that you equate a massively /multiplayer/
experience with a single player game, and then make this ridiculous
assertion that you are acquainted with all the values, desires, and
motivations of all human game players.

C//

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-10, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
> MMO's make me greif. In fact the only fun is greifing. Morrowind is a
> bit cardboard, but for it's time it was an incredible feat. Bethesda
> has stated that they are well aware of the limitations to interaction
> Morrowind has and seeks to go beyond it. I see the ES series as a MMO
> without the annoying part: other players... packing servers, waiting
> for spawns in long lines, waiting for use of the forge in long lines,
> waiting to get wood to build useless furniture (except dropping it
> around a player to trap them until a GM comes of course!), waiting to
> get next to a training dummy to sit with a key depressed next to it to
> build up your sword skill, begging for money to get leet. all this
> paying 20$ a month for little to no new game content? Players setting
> up museums? Oh my that's exciting. You know the people who make time
> for that type of thing, and they ain't people you want to really
> socialize with. Here's a nice product of the MMO's:
>
> "Kanos is a peaceful guy, but we do have other members, 2 members have
> now been kicked/asked to leave because of grefing now. Funny thing is
> more and more people are now trying to tell I greif, now this is BS, my
> pk score is 65 and all of them had it coming :p Well g2g now, "doing
> sin quest" " Yeech.

See. You Morrowind players do need to grow a brain :) No modern
MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
isn't possible.

> What I hope ES IV does is integrate the living cities of games like
> GTA. You can interact with the world as sort of a toy for awhile, then
> delve into the quests and mission strings.

Nail. Hammer. Head. It's a toy. Not a game.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-10, Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote:

>>The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
>>real MMOs...
>
> I regard it is patently absurd that you equate a massively /multiplayer/
> experience with a single player game, and then make this ridiculous
> assertion that you are acquainted with all the values, desires, and
> motivations of all human game players.

Actually all Human and Orc game players. I'm not *that* absurd.

nostromo

Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:28:38
+0800, Anno Domini:

>I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
>awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>
>I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
>footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
>than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
>there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
>cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs, desires
>and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by Bethesda}
>will be running the show here.
>
>Excited anyone?
>
>Ceo-

Sound about as fun as MW, except with more lifeless world to traverse & more
lame 'swinging the sword at air' or 'jumping around like a dickhead' to
improve some numbers based on a shitty, shitty skill system. Yeah, all in
all mildly excited, mainly about the day/night cycle - at least we'll know
when to officially fall asleep at the chair. >8^D

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

crpgnut

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:28:38
> +0800, Anno Domini:
>
> >I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
> >awaiting this spectacular looking game?
> >
> >I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
> >footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
> >than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and
living
> >there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
> >cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs,
desires
> >and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by
Bethesda}
> >will be running the show here.
> >
> >Excited anyone?
> >
> >Ceo-
>
> Sound about as fun as MW, except with more lifeless world to traverse &
more
> lame 'swinging the sword at air' or 'jumping around like a dickhead' to
> improve some numbers based on a shitty, shitty skill system. Yeah, all in
> all mildly excited, mainly about the day/night cycle - at least we'll know
> when to officially fall asleep at the chair. >8^D
>
> --
> No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back
in jeopardy again.
> Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
> I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean
for... for ten minutes!"

> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.

Aha! There are several members from the Elder Trolls in the above posts.
These are dweebs who jump in ANY and EVERY thread about TES and bash it.
Believe it or not, children, people like games for different reasons. I
loved Morrowind because of the massive amount of exploration in a land that
was beautifully rendered. I enjoyed the unrivaled alchemy skill. I loved the
graphical representation of spells. So what if it had weak NPCs? I loved
flying over Vivec and looking down at the city. For every one of your hates,
I have a love.

shadows wrote:
> Why?
>
> Any MMO has this kind of world. SWG does it better with honest to
> goodness players setting up museums and charging for entry.

SWG!!?? YUCK!!! I tend to shy away from MMORPGs anymore...why? I've
gotten tried of the power gamers and lamers ALWAYS screaming about
something...just play the damn game....

> Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
> with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.

No lie there. Morrowind needs a system made NOW to play well....

> The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
> real MMOs or those who like to download mods that adds a +5 sword
> to their inventory and makes little butterflies appear around
> their avatars head.

The moding in MW is actually pretty nice. You can add quite a bit of
content as well as adding some neat features. I love the GIANTS mod...

> 1000 unique NPCs? How about clones spurting out the same wav file
> as you walk by them in-game and a cardboard pop up with about 200
> meaningless words that amount to "kill foozle #72"

Agreed...

> Name me a memorable character from Morrowind and tell me why they
> are memorable.

My own ;-) Morrowind is actually a decent game, it just lacks the
amount of depth that it should have had. I wish more RPGs be more open
ended and less constricting, but at the same time have worlds that feel
alive...

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-02-10, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
>
>>MMO's make me greif. In fact the only fun is greifing. Morrowind is a
>>bit cardboard, but for it's time it was an incredible feat. Bethesda
>>has stated that they are well aware of the limitations to interaction
>>Morrowind has and seeks to go beyond it. I see the ES series as a MMO
>>without the annoying part: other players... packing servers, waiting
>>for spawns in long lines, waiting for use of the forge in long lines,
>>waiting to get wood to build useless furniture (except dropping it
>>around a player to trap them until a GM comes of course!), waiting to
>>get next to a training dummy to sit with a key depressed next to it to
>>build up your sword skill, begging for money to get leet. all this
>>paying 20$ a month for little to no new game content? Players setting
>>up museums? Oh my that's exciting. You know the people who make time
>>for that type of thing, and they ain't people you want to really
>>socialize with. Here's a nice product of the MMO's:
>>"Kanos is a peaceful guy, but we do have other members, 2 members have
>>now been kicked/asked to leave because of grefing now. Funny thing is
>>more and more people are now trying to tell I greif, now this is BS, my
>>pk score is 65 and all of them had it coming :p Well g2g now, "doing
>>sin quest" " Yeech.
> See. You Morrowind players do need to grow a brain :) No modern
> MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
> isn't possible.

?????????????????????????????

Hey Ceowulf,

'Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
there own lives'

Well as far as that statement , I'm kind of worried about that....
That's why I liked Gothic series so much, fewer NPCs, but more interesting.
I'd rather have a 100 npcs in a gameworld that are more interesting and have
better ai then a 1000 walking around just in as filler....
just my opinion though......

Still will get OBlivion, not unless reviewers trash it when it comes out......

joe

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in

> No modern
> MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
> isn't possible.

Please tell me that you were drunk, or really tired, or that someone else
forged you account when you wrote this.

--
Marcel

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-11, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:
> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in
>
>> No modern
>> MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
>> isn't possible.
>
> Please tell me that you were drunk, or really tired, or that someone else
> forged you account when you wrote this.

It's true unless you look at Lineage II or very very specific
instances of exploits that are fixed.

>And don't you think it's these very fixes: no final death, no loss of
>items, no looting, no PK'ing, 'safe' trading, invincible teleporting
>town guards, that make MMO games even more boring, more predictable and
>less of a 'game' environment than they were back in the zany UO beta
>days?

I had more fun in the UO beta and fresh post beta days than any other
time. I have vivid memory of an episode where I continuously teleport
hopped just out of range of an angry mob of 20 pks, until I was
just on the other side of a river. I was paralyzed the entire time.

C//

Nostromo wrote:

> It took me less than 10hrs after I realised the world had almost no
cohesive
> elements (like story!) to drive the player along. Some ppl like
medieval
> sandpits, but not me tx.

I worked my way through the main story. It had plenty of story and
background. It didn't drive you on rails and you had to go looking for
it, but it was there. I lost interest with the game after completing
the main storyline, but it definitely had one. I didn't bother
finishing the first add-on. I never did get the second.

There just aren't enough RPGs coming down the pike to dismiss the next
TES. I'll definitely be
playing it shortly after release.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-11, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
> shadows wrote:

>> See. You Morrowind players do need to grow a brain :) No modern
>> MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
>> isn't possible.
>
> ?????????????????????????????

Please name an MMO released in the last two years which is not
all PvP (Eve Online and Lineage II) which allows griefing.

They don't exist anymore. You can try to grief but your impact
will be minimal.

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-02-11, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>shadows wrote:
>

>>>See. You Morrowind players do need to grow a brain :) No modern
>>>MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
>>>isn't possible.
>>
>>?????????????????????????????
>

> Please name an MMO released in the last two years which is not
> all PvP (Eve Online and Lineage II) which allows griefing.

IMHO griefing isn't just PKing, it is more than that. The powergamers
can greif the noobs (and do), the spawn camping is a place where some
sort of griefing ALWAYS happens (mind control comes to mind), people
stealing, lying, and cheating...it all falls under greifing. Hell
corpse camping is worse than ever...

I mean come on...have your read the WoW forums or SWG forums lately?
It is so nice be me mobbed too....can't beat that! What about being
harassed by someone screaming into the ether about some nonsense or
another.

Greifing ANY TIME someone decides to be a pain in the ass, just to be a
pain in the ass. MMORPGs are full of it.

> They don't exist anymore. You can try to grief but your impact
> will be minimal.

WTF? Corpse camping is minimal? What about those lvl 22903857
jackasses that follow around your level -94875 character and hope you
wander into a PvP zone or just harass you by kill stealing?

What about those that create a pet and camp spawns that are FAR too low
for them and just take all the spawn point XP away from those that
actually want it?

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-11, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

> Greifing ANY TIME someone decides to be a pain in the ass, just to be a
> pain in the ass. MMORPGs are full of it.

I've been playing MMOs for the last two years. I've experienced
maybe a couple of incidents of KSing where it didn't even matter.

> WTF? Corpse camping is minimal? What about those lvl 22903857
> jackasses that follow around your level -94875 character and hope you
> wander into a PvP zone or just harass you by kill stealing?

A myth. You think they have time to do this?

> What about those that create a pet and camp spawns that are FAR too low
> for them and just take all the spawn point XP away from those that
> actually want it?

Honestly, this is rare.

nostromo

Thus spake "Crpgnut" <crpgnut@yahoo.com>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:55:32 -0600,
Anno Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>> Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:28:38
>> +0800, Anno Domini:
>>
>> >I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
>> >awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>> >
>> >I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
>> >footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
>> >than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and
>living
>> >there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
>> >cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs,
>desires
>> >and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by
>Bethesda}
>> >will be running the show here.
>> >
>> >Excited anyone?
>> >
>> >Ceo-
>>
>> Sound about as fun as MW, except with more lifeless world to traverse &
>more
>> lame 'swinging the sword at air' or 'jumping around like a dickhead' to
>> improve some numbers based on a shitty, shitty skill system. Yeah, all in
>> all mildly excited, mainly about the day/night cycle - at least we'll know
>> when to officially fall asleep at the chair. >8^D
>>
>> --
>> No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back
>in jeopardy again.
>> Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
>> I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean
>for... for ten minutes!"
>>
>> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
>
>Aha! There are several members from the Elder Trolls in the above posts.
>These are dweebs who jump in ANY and EVERY thread about TES and bash it.
>Believe it or not, children, people like games for different reasons. I
>loved Morrowind because of the massive amount of exploration in a land that
>was beautifully rendered. I enjoyed the unrivaled alchemy skill. I loved the
>graphical representation of spells. So what if it had weak NPCs? I loved
>flying over Vivec and looking down at the city. For every one of your hates,
>I have a love.

I didn't *hate* it Mr Elder Drolls - it was just boring & plain tedious
after a short while. Stick that in your fanboy shorts >;-p

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

crpgnut

Snipped old junk....

> I didn't *hate* it Mr Elder Drolls - it was just boring & plain tedious
> after a short while. Stick that in your fanboy shorts >;-p

I agree but it took me several hundred hours before I got bored. I feel
that I got my money's worth out of the game and that includes the $400
video card that I bought just so I could play it. I love exploration and I
found the history and background story very interesting. Morrowind's
biggest weakness was NPCs. I truly hope they address this in Oblivion.