The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Last response: in Video Games
February 11, 2005 1:28:38 AM

I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
awaiting this spectacular looking game?

I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs, desires
and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by Bethesda}
will be running the show here.

Excited anyone?

Ceo-

More about : elder scrolls oblivion

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:28:39 AM

Thusly "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> Spake Unto All:

>I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
>awaiting this spectacular looking game?

Most likely, yes.

>Excited anyone?

Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:28:39 AM

>>Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?

>Yep - excited, but patient.

And sceptical it will look like that and run at a decent framerate on
any PC most people have.
Related resources
February 11, 2005 1:28:39 AM

On 2005-02-10, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
> awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>
> I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
> footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
> than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
> there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
> cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs, desires
> and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by Bethesda}
> will be running the show here.
>
> Excited anyone?

Why?

Any MMO has this kind of world. SWG does it better with honest to
goodness players setting up museums and charging for entry.

Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.

The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
real MMOs or those who like to download mods that adds a +5 sword
to their inventory and makes little butterflies appear around
their avatars head.

1000 unique NPCs? How about clones spurting out the same wav file
as you walk by them in-game and a cardboard pop up with about 200
meaningless words that amount to "kill foozle #72"

Have you seen the Morrowind chit chat thread? It's not that they
need a life. They need a brain beyond "i downloaded mod
that gives me a three story home." How wonderfully shallow.

Name me a memorable character from Morrowind and tell me why they
are memorable.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:28:39 AM

Damn I'm not an AOL'er but I have to give Crpgnut a "ME TOO" post.

Killer Apps drive hardware sales and thus hardware development. We
wouldn't be in the wonderful world of 3D with farcry, HL2, Doom 3
without the driving force of applications needing better hardware for
the past 8 years.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:28:39 AM

MMO's make me greif. In fact the only fun is greifing. Morrowind is a
bit cardboard, but for it's time it was an incredible feat. Bethesda
has stated that they are well aware of the limitations to interaction
Morrowind has and seeks to go beyond it. I see the ES series as a MMO
without the annoying part: other players... packing servers, waiting
for spawns in long lines, waiting for use of the forge in long lines,
waiting to get wood to build useless furniture (except dropping it
around a player to trap them until a GM comes of course!), waiting to
get next to a training dummy to sit with a key depressed next to it to
build up your sword skill, begging for money to get leet. all this
paying 20$ a month for little to no new game content? Players setting
up museums? Oh my that's exciting. You know the people who make time
for that type of thing, and they ain't people you want to really
socialize with. Here's a nice product of the MMO's:

"Kanos is a peaceful guy, but we do have other members, 2 members have
now been kicked/asked to leave because of grefing now. Funny thing is
more and more people are now trying to tell I greif, now this is BS, my
pk score is 65 and all of them had it coming :p  Well g2g now, "doing
sin quest" " Yeech.

As for the Morrowind mods, there aren't many that stretch what's
already done in the game. The firemoth keep is cool, the guy who
designed all the custom heads prettied up the game amazingly and I did
a series of ambushes for some friends that made life a lot more
dangerous (granted they were very Doom-esque).

A memorable character? That dude that falls from the sky near the
first town. So awesome. The last living dwarf is great too. I don't
remember too many people I've PK'ed, except that a lot of them typed in
"Why???" a lot. Funny!

What I hope ES IV does is integrate the living cities of games like
GTA. You can interact with the world as sort of a toy for awhile, then
delve into the quests and mission strings.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:28:40 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:20:00 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> Spake Unto All:
>
>>I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
>>awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>
>Most likely, yes.
>
>>Excited anyone?
>
>Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?

Yep - excited, but patient.

And what's with all the carrots ?
February 11, 2005 1:28:40 AM

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?
>
> >Yep - excited, but patient.
>
> And sceptical it will look like that and run at a decent framerate on
> any PC most people have.

Bethesda even admits that they're developing the game for a cutting edge
system. That's cutting edge at the release date, not cutting edge today!
Bethesda is basically a modern day Origin. Origin built the best games they
could envision technically and expected you to upgrade your computer to play
their games. Bethesda does the same. I upgraded my system to play Morrowind
and I'll upgrade to play Oblivion. I haven't been disappointed yet.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:28:40 AM

>The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
>real MMOs...

I regard it is patently absurd that you equate a massively /multiplayer/
experience with a single player game, and then make this ridiculous
assertion that you are acquainted with all the values, desires, and
motivations of all human game players.

C//
February 11, 2005 3:16:20 AM

On 2005-02-10, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
> MMO's make me greif. In fact the only fun is greifing. Morrowind is a
> bit cardboard, but for it's time it was an incredible feat. Bethesda
> has stated that they are well aware of the limitations to interaction
> Morrowind has and seeks to go beyond it. I see the ES series as a MMO
> without the annoying part: other players... packing servers, waiting
> for spawns in long lines, waiting for use of the forge in long lines,
> waiting to get wood to build useless furniture (except dropping it
> around a player to trap them until a GM comes of course!), waiting to
> get next to a training dummy to sit with a key depressed next to it to
> build up your sword skill, begging for money to get leet. all this
> paying 20$ a month for little to no new game content? Players setting
> up museums? Oh my that's exciting. You know the people who make time
> for that type of thing, and they ain't people you want to really
> socialize with. Here's a nice product of the MMO's:
>
> "Kanos is a peaceful guy, but we do have other members, 2 members have
> now been kicked/asked to leave because of grefing now. Funny thing is
> more and more people are now trying to tell I greif, now this is BS, my
> pk score is 65 and all of them had it coming :p  Well g2g now, "doing
> sin quest" " Yeech.

See. You Morrowind players do need to grow a brain :)  No modern
MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
isn't possible.

> What I hope ES IV does is integrate the living cities of games like
> GTA. You can interact with the world as sort of a toy for awhile, then
> delve into the quests and mission strings.

Nail. Hammer. Head. It's a toy. Not a game.
February 11, 2005 3:16:59 AM

On 2005-02-10, Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote:

>>The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
>>real MMOs...
>
> I regard it is patently absurd that you equate a massively /multiplayer/
> experience with a single player game, and then make this ridiculous
> assertion that you are acquainted with all the values, desires, and
> motivations of all human game players.

Actually all Human and Orc game players. I'm not *that* absurd.
February 11, 2005 10:35:05 AM

Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:28:38
+0800, Anno Domini:

>I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
>awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>
>I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
>footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
>than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
>there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
>cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs, desires
>and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by Bethesda}
>will be running the show here.
>
>Excited anyone?
>
>Ceo-

Sound about as fun as MW, except with more lifeless world to traverse & more
lame 'swinging the sword at air' or 'jumping around like a dickhead' to
improve some numbers based on a shitty, shitty skill system. Yeah, all in
all mildly excited, mainly about the day/night cycle - at least we'll know
when to officially fall asleep at the chair. >8^D

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

February 11, 2005 10:35:06 AM

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
news:o 5hn01l5h2lua77bulp29spadc49vd3mtm@4ax.com...
> Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:28:38
> +0800, Anno Domini:
>
> >I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
> >awaiting this spectacular looking game?
> >
> >I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
> >footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
> >than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and
living
> >there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
> >cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs,
desires
> >and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by
Bethesda}
> >will be running the show here.
> >
> >Excited anyone?
> >
> >Ceo-
>
> Sound about as fun as MW, except with more lifeless world to traverse &
more
> lame 'swinging the sword at air' or 'jumping around like a dickhead' to
> improve some numbers based on a shitty, shitty skill system. Yeah, all in
> all mildly excited, mainly about the day/night cycle - at least we'll know
> when to officially fall asleep at the chair. >8^D
>
> --
> No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back
in jeopardy again.
> Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
> I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean
for... for ten minutes!"

> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.

Aha! There are several members from the Elder Trolls in the above posts.
These are dweebs who jump in ANY and EVERY thread about TES and bash it.
Believe it or not, children, people like games for different reasons. I
loved Morrowind because of the massive amount of exploration in a land that
was beautifully rendered. I enjoyed the unrivaled alchemy skill. I loved the
graphical representation of spells. So what if it had weak NPCs? I loved
flying over Vivec and looking down at the city. For every one of your hates,
I have a love.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:32:24 PM

shadows wrote:
> Why?
>
> Any MMO has this kind of world. SWG does it better with honest to
> goodness players setting up museums and charging for entry.

SWG!!?? YUCK!!! I tend to shy away from MMORPGs anymore...why? I've
gotten tried of the power gamers and lamers ALWAYS screaming about
something...just play the damn game....

> Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
> with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.

No lie there. Morrowind needs a system made NOW to play well....

> The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
> real MMOs or those who like to download mods that adds a +5 sword
> to their inventory and makes little butterflies appear around
> their avatars head.

The moding in MW is actually pretty nice. You can add quite a bit of
content as well as adding some neat features. I love the GIANTS mod...

> 1000 unique NPCs? How about clones spurting out the same wav file
> as you walk by them in-game and a cardboard pop up with about 200
> meaningless words that amount to "kill foozle #72"

Agreed...

> Name me a memorable character from Morrowind and tell me why they
> are memorable.

My own ;-) Morrowind is actually a decent game, it just lacks the
amount of depth that it should have had. I wish more RPGs be more open
ended and less constricting, but at the same time have worlds that feel
alive...
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:50:50 PM

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-02-10, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
>
>>MMO's make me greif. In fact the only fun is greifing. Morrowind is a
>>bit cardboard, but for it's time it was an incredible feat. Bethesda
>>has stated that they are well aware of the limitations to interaction
>>Morrowind has and seeks to go beyond it. I see the ES series as a MMO
>>without the annoying part: other players... packing servers, waiting
>>for spawns in long lines, waiting for use of the forge in long lines,
>>waiting to get wood to build useless furniture (except dropping it
>>around a player to trap them until a GM comes of course!), waiting to
>>get next to a training dummy to sit with a key depressed next to it to
>>build up your sword skill, begging for money to get leet. all this
>>paying 20$ a month for little to no new game content? Players setting
>>up museums? Oh my that's exciting. You know the people who make time
>>for that type of thing, and they ain't people you want to really
>>socialize with. Here's a nice product of the MMO's:
>>"Kanos is a peaceful guy, but we do have other members, 2 members have
>>now been kicked/asked to leave because of grefing now. Funny thing is
>>more and more people are now trying to tell I greif, now this is BS, my
>>pk score is 65 and all of them had it coming :p  Well g2g now, "doing
>>sin quest" " Yeech.
> See. You Morrowind players do need to grow a brain :)  No modern
> MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
> isn't possible.

?????????????????????????????
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:45:19 PM

Hey Ceowulf,

'Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
there own lives'

Well as far as that statement , I'm kind of worried about that....
That's why I liked Gothic series so much, fewer NPCs, but more interesting.
I'd rather have a 100 npcs in a gameworld that are more interesting and have
better ai then a 1000 walking around just in as filler....
just my opinion though......

Still will get OBlivion, not unless reviewers trash it when it comes out......

joe

"Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote in message news:420b71f9$0$1441$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
> awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>
> I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
> footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
> than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
> there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
> cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs, desires
> and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by Bethesda}
> will be running the show here.
>
> Excited anyone?
>
> Ceo-

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 4:55:29 PM

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in

> No modern
> MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
> isn't possible.

Please tell me that you were drunk, or really tired, or that someone else
forged you account when you wrote this.

--
Marcel
February 11, 2005 5:35:26 PM

On 2005-02-11, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:
> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in
>
>> No modern
>> MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
>> isn't possible.
>
> Please tell me that you were drunk, or really tired, or that someone else
> forged you account when you wrote this.

It's true unless you look at Lineage II or very very specific
instances of exploits that are fixed.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:35:27 PM

>And don't you think it's these very fixes: no final death, no loss of
>items, no looting, no PK'ing, 'safe' trading, invincible teleporting
>town guards, that make MMO games even more boring, more predictable and
>less of a 'game' environment than they were back in the zany UO beta
>days?

I had more fun in the UO beta and fresh post beta days than any other
time. I have vivid memory of an episode where I continuously teleport
hopped just out of range of an angry mob of 20 pks, until I was
just on the other side of a river. I was paralyzed the entire time.

C//
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:18:32 PM

Nostromo wrote:

> It took me less than 10hrs after I realised the world had almost no
cohesive
> elements (like story!) to drive the player along. Some ppl like
medieval
> sandpits, but not me tx.

I worked my way through the main story. It had plenty of story and
background. It didn't drive you on rails and you had to go looking for
it, but it was there. I lost interest with the game after completing
the main storyline, but it definitely had one. I didn't bother
finishing the first add-on. I never did get the second.

There just aren't enough RPGs coming down the pike to dismiss the next
TES. I'll definitely be
playing it shortly after release.
February 11, 2005 8:22:22 PM

On 2005-02-11, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
> shadows wrote:

>> See. You Morrowind players do need to grow a brain :)  No modern
>> MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
>> isn't possible.
>
> ?????????????????????????????

Please name an MMO released in the last two years which is not
all PvP (Eve Online and Lineage II) which allows griefing.

They don't exist anymore. You can try to grief but your impact
will be minimal.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:22:23 PM

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-02-11, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>shadows wrote:
>

>>>See. You Morrowind players do need to grow a brain :)  No modern
>>>MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
>>>isn't possible.
>>
>>?????????????????????????????
>

> Please name an MMO released in the last two years which is not
> all PvP (Eve Online and Lineage II) which allows griefing.

IMHO griefing isn't just PKing, it is more than that. The powergamers
can greif the noobs (and do), the spawn camping is a place where some
sort of griefing ALWAYS happens (mind control comes to mind), people
stealing, lying, and cheating...it all falls under greifing. Hell
corpse camping is worse than ever...

I mean come on...have your read the WoW forums or SWG forums lately?
It is so nice be me mobbed too....can't beat that! What about being
harassed by someone screaming into the ether about some nonsense or
another.

Greifing ANY TIME someone decides to be a pain in the ass, just to be a
pain in the ass. MMORPGs are full of it.

> They don't exist anymore. You can try to grief but your impact
> will be minimal.

WTF? Corpse camping is minimal? What about those lvl 22903857
jackasses that follow around your level -94875 character and hope you
wander into a PvP zone or just harass you by kill stealing?

What about those that create a pet and camp spawns that are FAR too low
for them and just take all the spawn point XP away from those that
actually want it?
February 11, 2005 10:11:57 PM

On 2005-02-11, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

> Greifing ANY TIME someone decides to be a pain in the ass, just to be a
> pain in the ass. MMORPGs are full of it.

I've been playing MMOs for the last two years. I've experienced
maybe a couple of incidents of KSing where it didn't even matter.

> WTF? Corpse camping is minimal? What about those lvl 22903857
> jackasses that follow around your level -94875 character and hope you
> wander into a PvP zone or just harass you by kill stealing?

A myth. You think they have time to do this?

> What about those that create a pet and camp spawns that are FAR too low
> for them and just take all the spawn point XP away from those that
> actually want it?

Honestly, this is rare.
February 11, 2005 10:53:33 PM

Thus spake "Crpgnut" <crpgnut@yahoo.com>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:55:32 -0600,
Anno Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>news:o 5hn01l5h2lua77bulp29spadc49vd3mtm@4ax.com...
>> Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:28:38
>> +0800, Anno Domini:
>>
>> >I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group eagerly
>> >awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>> >
>> >I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
>> >footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much larger
>> >than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and
>living
>> >there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be living day and night
>> >cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's, with their own jobs,
>desires
>> >and intentions. Something called Radiant AI {developed in house by
>Bethesda}
>> >will be running the show here.
>> >
>> >Excited anyone?
>> >
>> >Ceo-
>>
>> Sound about as fun as MW, except with more lifeless world to traverse &
>more
>> lame 'swinging the sword at air' or 'jumping around like a dickhead' to
>> improve some numbers based on a shitty, shitty skill system. Yeah, all in
>> all mildly excited, mainly about the day/night cycle - at least we'll know
>> when to officially fall asleep at the chair. >8^D
>>
>> --
>> No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back
>in jeopardy again.
>> Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
>> I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean
>for... for ten minutes!"
>>
>> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
>
>Aha! There are several members from the Elder Trolls in the above posts.
>These are dweebs who jump in ANY and EVERY thread about TES and bash it.
>Believe it or not, children, people like games for different reasons. I
>loved Morrowind because of the massive amount of exploration in a land that
>was beautifully rendered. I enjoyed the unrivaled alchemy skill. I loved the
>graphical representation of spells. So what if it had weak NPCs? I loved
>flying over Vivec and looking down at the city. For every one of your hates,
>I have a love.

I didn't *hate* it Mr Elder Drolls - it was just boring & plain tedious
after a short while. Stick that in your fanboy shorts >;-p

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 11, 2005 10:53:34 PM

Snipped old junk....

> I didn't *hate* it Mr Elder Drolls - it was just boring & plain tedious
> after a short while. Stick that in your fanboy shorts >;-p

I agree but it took me several hundred hours before I got bored. I feel
that I got my money's worth out of the game and that includes the $400
video card that I bought just so I could play it. I love exploration and I
found the history and background story very interesting. Morrowind's
biggest weakness was NPCs. I truly hope they address this in Oblivion.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:07:07 PM

On 10 Feb 2005 08:28:09 -0800, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
wrote:

>>>Sure. But it's still a year off, isn't it?
>
>>Yep - excited, but patient.
>
>And sceptical it will look like that and run at a decent framerate on
>any PC most people have.

I plan to upgrade a few months before it appears, depending on
recommended specs.

Hell, I may finally be able to play Morrowind at max resolyion and
detail now I've upgraded my mobo and graphics card...

And what's with all the carrots ?
February 12, 2005 1:07:14 PM

Thus spake "Crpgnut" <crpgnut@yahoo.com>, Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:15:10 -0600,
Anno Domini:

>Snipped old junk....
>
>> I didn't *hate* it Mr Elder Drolls - it was just boring & plain tedious
>> after a short while. Stick that in your fanboy shorts >;-p
>
>I agree but it took me several hundred hours before I got bored. I feel

It took me less than 10hrs after I realised the world had almost no cohesive
elements (like story!) to drive the player along. Some ppl like medieval
sandpits, but not me tx.

>that I got my money's worth out of the game and that includes the $400
>video card that I bought just so I could play it. I love exploration and I
>found the history and background story very interesting. Morrowind's
>biggest weakness was NPCs. I truly hope they address this in Oblivion.

MW had plenty more weaknesses than that, but once someone becomes a ES
fanboy/fanatic, they justify the system & world to themselves no matter
what. Same as Ultima (bring on the flames! >;-). And it's not just my D&D
origins, as I've enjoyed many excellent rpgs based in totally non-D&D
settings & systems (e.g. Fallout1/2). TES are just flawed in so many ways
(staring with its lead designer lol!) that I just haven't got the energy to
go there any more...*huge Shrek sigh*...

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 12, 2005 1:16:59 PM

shadows wrote:
> On 2005-02-11, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
>> WOW has corpse camping GALORE. And the mind control? ha! Let alone all
>>the verbal cons and tricks that experienced (read bored) players try to
>>do to others that have no in-game fix.
>
> Corpse camping? Here's a clue. You don't have to do PvP on any of
> the servers except the PvP ones.

But if you go to a PvE server, watch out for people mind controlling
mobs you're fighting to get your PvP flag turned on; or shadowmelding in
front of postboxes in the hope that you'll accidentally right-click on
them; or using whatever exploits they were using in cross-faction duels
that is causing Blizzard to totally remove the feature..

Griefing is a state of mind, an attitude, not some particular act which
can be stopped by game changes. As long as there are players who get
their enjoyment out of messing with other peoples' enjoyment, there will
be something they find to do to mess with you.

Having said that, I don't think it's a particularly serious problem. But
that's not because "the game mechanics are setup so griefing
isn't possible" (what a ridiculous statement), it's because the griefers
are actually a very small minority amongst the 600,000 players.

Cheers!
David...
February 12, 2005 1:17:00 PM

On 2005-02-11, David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

> Having said that, I don't think it's a particularly serious problem. But
> that's not because "the game mechanics are setup so griefing
> isn't possible" (what a ridiculous statement), it's because the griefers
> are actually a very small minority amongst the 600,000 players.

They are though. People will find loopholes which are closed in
the next patch as you describe.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:17:00 PM

David Carson wrote:

> But if you go to a PvE server, watch out for people mind controlling
> mobs you're fighting to get your PvP flag turned on; or shadowmelding in
> front of postboxes in the hope that you'll accidentally right-click on
> them; or using whatever exploits they were using in cross-faction duels
> that is causing Blizzard to totally remove the feature..

Agreed...

> Griefing is a state of mind, an attitude, not some particular act which
> can be stopped by game changes. As long as there are players who get
> their enjoyment out of messing with other peoples' enjoyment, there will
> be something they find to do to mess with you.

Agreed....and it seems like those same greifers play every MMORPG ;-)

> Having said that, I don't think it's a particularly serious problem. But
> that's not because "the game mechanics are setup so griefing
> isn't possible" (what a ridiculous statement), it's because the griefers
> are actually a very small minority amongst the 600,000 players.

No, but it only takes a few to ruin the fun for many...
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:17:01 PM

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-02-11, David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
>

>>Having said that, I don't think it's a particularly serious problem. But
>>that's not because "the game mechanics are setup so griefing
>>isn't possible" (what a ridiculous statement), it's because the griefers
>>are actually a very small minority amongst the 600,000 players.
>

> They are though. People will find loopholes which are closed in
> the next patch as you describe.

The problem is there are ALWAYS loopholes and the greifers ALWAY take
advantage of them...
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:17:43 PM

Thusly James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

>Agreed....and it seems like those same greifers play every MMORPG ;-)

OK, I took it as long as I could, I can't take it no more: GRIEFERS.

Grief, griefing, griefers. As in "causing others grief".

Sorry, I know I'm being anal, but "greif" just hurts my eyes.

--
The US employs divide-and-conquer against EU
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-02/10/content_25...

The US is no longer our ally: Federalize NOW!
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 4:15:27 PM

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> 1000 unique NPCs? How about clones spurting out the same wav file
>> as you walk by them in-game and a cardboard pop up with about 200
>> meaningless words that amount to "kill foozle #72"
>
> Agreed...

This has been a point in case for Bethesda. Its still a learning curve for
them too. With each new incarnation of TES they improve on it. The reason
for only ~1000 NPC's is because they are giving them all personality. They
are going to be unique, when you think about it 1000 people for a world the
size of Morrowind isnt very much... and Oblivion is going to be larger. What
makes them fill the space is that they are mobile as well, they wont just be
sitting around in one location.

And hopefully, with luck, Oblivion wont be the last, they will continue to
improve upon their formula, and one day, we will have a truely living,
breathing world which provides true Frontier:Elite style single player
gaming goodness :)

And MMO's dont count, I've played them all except EQ2, and I think they are
all rather poor in comparison to the early UO days.

Ceo-
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 4:24:37 PM

"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message

> 'Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
> there own lives'
>
> Well as far as that statement , I'm kind of worried about that....
> That's why I liked Gothic series so much, fewer NPCs, but more
> interesting.
> I'd rather have a 100 npcs in a gameworld that are more interesting and
> have
> better ai then a 1000 walking around just in as filler....
> just my opinion though......
>
> Still will get OBlivion, not unless reviewers trash it when it comes
> out......

Morrowind had many more than 1000 NPC's, true the vast majority were
cardboard NPC's {guards etc}.

Its "claimed" that Oblivion will have far less, with this new AI running
them all. Its agreed that the game is going to be _very_ CPU intensive not
to mention graphically.

I know its too early to get excited {though I am still checking the TES site
once a week :) } but these are the only games I've got to look forward too
now days. No one else makes CRPG's worth a grain now that the Infinity
series is dead (Gothic 3 might be a blast too hopefully).

And dont forget all you Bethesda nay sayers... they have the Fallout license
now, you would do well to wish them good fortunes and success with this
game. Because its almost garunteed that any new successful technology they
produce for the TES games will be incorporate into any forthcoming version
of Fallout!

Ceo-
February 12, 2005 8:34:41 PM

Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:24:37
+0800, Anno Domini:

>"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>
>> 'Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all unique and living
>> there own lives'
>>
>> Well as far as that statement , I'm kind of worried about that....
>> That's why I liked Gothic series so much, fewer NPCs, but more
>> interesting.
>> I'd rather have a 100 npcs in a gameworld that are more interesting and
>> have
>> better ai then a 1000 walking around just in as filler....
>> just my opinion though......
>>
>> Still will get OBlivion, not unless reviewers trash it when it comes
>> out......
>
>Morrowind had many more than 1000 NPC's, true the vast majority were
>cardboard NPC's {guards etc}.
>
>Its "claimed" that Oblivion will have far less, with this new AI running
>them all. Its agreed that the game is going to be _very_ CPU intensive not
>to mention graphically.
>
>I know its too early to get excited {though I am still checking the TES site
>once a week :) } but these are the only games I've got to look forward too
>now days. No one else makes CRPG's worth a grain now that the Infinity
>series is dead (Gothic 3 might be a blast too hopefully).
>
>And dont forget all you Bethesda nay sayers... they have the Fallout license
>now, you would do well to wish them good fortunes and success with this
>game. Because its almost garunteed that any new successful technology they
>produce for the TES games will be incorporate into any forthcoming version
>of Fallout!

You don't have to twist it around after sticking it in ffs!

Pathesda can only do one thing with the Fallout franchise, and it's another
type of 'sticking it in' & then breaking it off...*huge Shrek sigh*

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 12, 2005 8:34:42 PM

Nostromo wrote:

> You don't have to twist it around after sticking it in ffs!
>
> Pathesda can only do one thing with the Fallout franchise, and it's another
> type of 'sticking it in' & then breaking it off...*huge Shrek sigh*

I donno. They may actually have something to run with*. Since the
original universe was so rich, they can only build on it. Plus, they
are making Call of Cthulu.

If CoC is bad, then maybe FO3 will be...but we'll have to wait and see.

*Bethesda: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make FO3 first person. Also,
please try to keep with the flavor of the universe. FO was dark, FO2
wasn't as dark, but did leave us with a feeling that the world hadn't
really changed even with all that did.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 8:34:42 PM

> Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:24:37
> +0800, Anno Domini:

>>And dont forget all you Bethesda nay sayers... they have the Fallout
>>license
>>now, you would do well to wish them good fortunes and success with this
>>game. Because its almost garunteed that any new successful technology they
>>produce for the TES games will be incorporate into any forthcoming version
>>of Fallout!
>
> You don't have to twist it around after sticking it in ffs!
>
> Pathesda can only do one thing with the Fallout franchise, and it's
> another
> type of 'sticking it in' & then breaking it off...*huge Shrek sigh*

lol, Nos your such a negative bastard :)

Chant with me... Fallout 3 WILL be good, Fallout 3 WILL be good... ;)

Ceo-
February 12, 2005 9:40:24 PM

Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:40:19
+0800, Anno Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>> Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:24:37
>> +0800, Anno Domini:
>
>>>And dont forget all you Bethesda nay sayers... they have the Fallout
>>>license
>>>now, you would do well to wish them good fortunes and success with this
>>>game. Because its almost garunteed that any new successful technology they
>>>produce for the TES games will be incorporate into any forthcoming version
>>>of Fallout!
>>
>> You don't have to twist it around after sticking it in ffs!
>>
>> Pathesda can only do one thing with the Fallout franchise, and it's
>> another
>> type of 'sticking it in' & then breaking it off...*huge Shrek sigh*
>
>lol, Nos your such a negative bastard :)
>
>Chant with me... Fallout 3 WILL be good, Fallout 3 WILL be good... ;)

ARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!@##@%%$^&^**&*() *whimper*
February 12, 2005 10:45:12 PM

On 2005-02-12, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>> ?????????????????????????????
>>
>>Please name an MMO released in the last two years which is not
>>all PvP (Eve Online and Lineage II) which allows griefing.
>>
>>They don't exist anymore. You can try to grief but your impact
>>will be minimal.
>
> Training mobs, teleporting mobs into stores etc.
> Both of those have and do happen in COH.
>
> Sure the impact is minimal, but it's still griefing.
>
> Any and likely every online game has griefing in one form or another.

So we shouldn't play MMOs because of some minimal griefing and
stick to Morrowind. That's the argument that was presented which
is ludicrous.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 11:09:15 PM

"Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> once tried to test me with:

> I was wondering if there was a large portion of this news group
> eagerly awaiting this spectacular looking game?
>
> I've never really seen graphics like what they are showing as in game
> footage... blows Doom3 and Half Life 2 away, AND the world is much
> larger than the Morrowind world with over 1000 NPC's who are all
> unique and living there own lives. This time the NPC's are going to be
> living day and night cycles just like those in the best of Ultima's,
> with their own jobs, desires and intentions. Something called Radiant
> AI {developed in house by Bethesda} will be running the show here.
>
> Excited anyone?

If it truely has 1000 unique NPCs that are actually worth talking to I
might be interested.

Morrowind was just "eh" for me. And it had a broken game system. I hope
they fix that some.

--

Knight37

February 12, 2005 11:09:16 PM

>Morrowind was just "eh" for me. And it had a broken game system. I hope
>they fix that some.

DF and MW both were the same for me: lots of promise, kind of dry in
execution. Perhaps whatever it was that makes me consider Planescape: Torment
the best game of all time made DF and MW seem kind of hollow to me...

C//
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:17:47 PM

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message

> Why?
>
> Any MMO has this kind of world. SWG does it better with honest to
> goodness players setting up museums and charging for entry.

Some people don't like paying monthly to play their games.

> Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
> with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.

Funny I played through the entire game and didn't encounter a single bug. My
FPS ranged from 40 to 260(mode). Methinks the weak link is your Nvidia FX
video card, which don't perfrom too well with D3D games such as MW.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:30:10 PM

"Courageous" <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in message

> DF and MW both were the same for me: lots of promise, kind of dry in
> execution. Perhaps whatever it was that makes me consider Planescape:
> Torment
> the best game of all time made DF and MW seem kind of hollow to me...

To be fair I think every game created except for perhaps Baldurs Gate 2 is
hollow in comparison to Planescape: Torment. In terms of material and depth
there is no par.

Ceo-
February 13, 2005 7:22:12 PM

On 2005-02-13, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:
> "Courageous" <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in message
>
>> DF and MW both were the same for me: lots of promise, kind of dry in
>> execution. Perhaps whatever it was that makes me consider Planescape:
>> Torment
>> the best game of all time made DF and MW seem kind of hollow to me...
>
> To be fair I think every game created except for perhaps Baldurs Gate 2 is
> hollow in comparison to Planescape: Torment. In terms of material and depth
> there is no par.

Try KOTOR2. There are things in that game I've never seen done
before in any RPG.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:22:13 PM

>Try KOTOR2. There are things in that game I've never seen done
>before in any RPG.

The reviews for K2 were kind of blah, saying that it wasn't
much above and beyond K1. You have a contrarian view. Why?

(I played K1, and thought it was okay, but was going to skip
K2).

C//
February 13, 2005 7:23:40 PM

On 2005-02-13, Andrew Chew <andrew@nospam.alumni.nus.edu.sg> wrote:

> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
>
>> Why?
>>
>> Any MMO has this kind of world. SWG does it better with honest to
>> goodness players setting up museums and charging for entry.
>>

> Some people don't like paying monthly to play their games.

That's a different argument which has been discussed in depth in
other threads.

>> Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
>> with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.
>
> Funny I played through the entire game and didn't encounter a single bug. My
> FPS ranged from 40 to 260(mode). Methinks the weak link is your Nvidia FX
> video card, which don't perfrom too well with D3D games such as MW.

Actually I had an Nvidia Geforce Ti 4200 when I played
Morrowind. I haven't tried it with the new Nvidia Geforce 5900
which, incidently, is a very good card. KOTOR2 runs without a
single frame being dropped.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 11:56:20 PM

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>On 2005-02-12, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
>> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>>>Please name an MMO released in the last two years which is not
>>>all PvP (Eve Online and Lineage II) which allows griefing.
>>>
>>>They don't exist anymore. You can try to grief but your impact
>>>will be minimal.
>>
>> Training mobs, teleporting mobs into stores etc.
>> Both of those have and do happen in COH.
>>
>> Sure the impact is minimal, but it's still griefing.
>>
>> Any and likely every online game has griefing in one form or another.
>
>So we shouldn't play MMOs because of some minimal griefing and
>stick to Morrowind. That's the argument that was presented which
>is ludicrous.

Not quite.

YOU jumped in saying that the only people who would like Morrowind
haven't played an MMO and/or are users of god-mode mods.

"The only people who like Morrowind are those that haven't tried
real MMOs or those who like to download mods that adds a +5 sword
to their inventory and makes little butterflies appear around
their avatars head."

Then you went farther out on the thin branch with "No modern
MMO allows griefing. The game mechanics are setup so griefing
isn't possible."

You've been given examples of griefing that exist in most MMORPGs and
have nothing to do with PvP.

Now you're trying to duck out and claim that this was suddenly about
MMORPGs and people playing Morrowind instead to avoid griefing.

You brought MMORPGs into this, the discussion wasn't about them.

Xocyll
February 14, 2005 12:11:50 AM

In article <1108257463.40686.0@despina.uk.clara.net>,
andrew@nospam.alumni.nus.edu.sg says...

> > Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
> > with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.
>
> Funny I played through the entire game and didn't encounter a single bug. My
> FPS ranged from 40 to 260(mode). Methinks the weak link is your Nvidia FX
> video card, which don't perfrom too well with D3D games such as MW.

No bug? This is majorly weird. *Everybody* on alt.games.morrowind
reports encountering the memory leak bug, and the slowdown and C2D that
goes with it. For me, that is the single major turnoff of Morrowind.

In Daggerfall you kept falling through the scenery. Put one foot wrong
when crossing a threshold in a dungeon and you'd go sailing off through
the walls ... it happened to me countless times.

Arena is mostly remembered for its integer overflow exploits, as well as
random crashes.

Nevertheless I have really enjoyed playing Arena and now still play
Morrowind. FPS are totally immaterial to a game like this, who gives a
flying fig.

But it would be nice if the programming were a little less shoddy.
(Yes, I regard variable overflows and memory leaks as shoddy programming
- that sort of thing is elemental practices stuff and just shouldn't
happen).

-Peter
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:11:51 AM

"Peter Huebner" <no.one@this.address> wrote in message
> In article <1108257463.40686.0@despina.uk.clara.net>,
> andrew@nospam.alumni.nus.edu.sg says...
>>
>> > Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
>> > with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.
>>
>> Funny I played through the entire game and didn't encounter a single bug.
>> My
>> FPS ranged from 40 to 260(mode). Methinks the weak link is your Nvidia FX
>> video card, which don't perfrom too well with D3D games such as MW.
>>

> No bug? This is majorly weird. *Everybody* on alt.games.morrowind
> reports encountering the memory leak bug, and the slowdown and C2D that
> goes with it. For me, that is the single major turnoff of Morrowind.

I played Morrowind 2x through and didn't experience any slowdowns or C2Ds..
Fps can be an issue even for rpgs. Too low and the game stutters.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:11:51 AM

Thusly Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> Spake Unto All:

>andrew@nospam.alumni.nus.edu.sg says...
>>
>> > Bethesda already proved numerous times to release a buggy product
>> > with no game balance and low FPS due to bad programming.
>>
>> Funny I played through the entire game and didn't encounter a single bug. My
>> FPS ranged from 40 to 260(mode). Methinks the weak link is your Nvidia FX
>> video card, which don't perfrom too well with D3D games such as MW.
>>

>No bug? This is majorly weird. *Everybody* on alt.games.morrowind
>reports encountering the memory leak bug, and the slowdown and C2D that
>goes with it.

I think Andrew is misremembering. I really, truly, a _lot_ doubt you
could play through morrowind and not encounter _any_ CTD's, graphics
glitches, corrupted savegames, quest characters which'd fallen through
the map, getting stuck on scenery, slowdowns, or other bugs.

However, AFAIK none of them were showstoppers.

--

!