Network bridge - Windows 8 - wired and wireless

quantaloup

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hello,

Ok, so here is my setup :

- Desktop PC connected through ethernet to my DSL modem/router. Network "ABC" (internet). The desktop is ALSO connected to network "XYZ" (no internet - home network only).

- Hi-fi amp connected through ethernet to network "XYZ" to a regular router. I have to have a wired connection to the amp.

-Android phones connected to XYZ.

- Laptop connected to ABC (for internet access)

My goal is to be able to use DLNA to stream my music collection (stored on dekstop PC) to my amp, which I achieve to do if I only log my desktop to network XYZ. I've tried crerating a network bridge (Win 8 pro). Now, I thought this would work perfectly, but laptop won't connect to network ABC (modem returns an error, says Windows).

Also, I'm using a Thomson TG585 modem/router... I noticed that the lights seems to freeze and I can't access the modem firmware through its ip, even if the ethernet light is green.

More info : I had to manually assign the DNS adress on the desktop computer, but managed to connected to ABC from my lapop without touching DNS.

All in all, my networks seems to work in bits and pieces, and behaves eratically. Not sure what to do.

I'm on the verge of buying another modem/router, but I'm not sure if this would really help to fix my problem.

Any help would be appreciated... :cry:

quantaloup

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Hello!

I don't think they are static IPs. At least, I have not set this up, and never did in the past. Not sure how to do this, I guess I can find the information somewhere on the interwebs. Is this a necessary part? Would this be the source of windows confusion?

I didn't not assign a gateway - not sure what is it and what it does! :S

quantaloup

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Also, this rather complex setup is necessary just because my amp's connection needs to be wired. perhaps simply buying a bridge and using only 1 network might be a lot easier...

quantaloup

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Ok, I'll find out how to do this and test it.

Thanks.

quantaloup

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

The second router is not on the same floor and has to connect wirelessly to the network.

quantaloup

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

XYZ is a D-Link DIR615, if I remember correctly.

However, the ABC modem/router was a Thomson TG585 and seemed defective. I could not log into the firmware for more than 30 seconds. Tried to assign static IPs, didn't help.

So, I went andbought a new modem/router (Netgear, only one I could find!). Everything works smoothly now. Ive bridged the two networks (ABC + XYZ) in Windows 8.

Only (slight) problem is that when I connect to network XYZ, the internet does not work. Any simple way to make this work?

Thanks!