Cubase and midi

Last response: in Home Audio
December 31, 2004 4:40:53 PM

Hi,
I'm looking for help regarding my midi setup on Cubase LE installed on a
G4 powerbook. While I can play midi files fine on the computer when I
run cubase and import midi files there is no bus out recognising the
files. I can see the led signal moving as it plays but no sound. I
have the midi set to GM on the laptop and all the other settings are
default. When I try to alter settings in cubase it crashes the
programme. Any help would be much appreciated.
Pat.

More about : cubase midi

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:40:58 PM

Pat Simmonds wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for help regarding my midi setup on Cubase LE installed
on a
> G4 powerbook. While I can play midi files fine on the computer when
> run cubase and import midi files there is no bus out recognising the
> files. I can see the led signal moving as it plays but no sound. I
> have the midi set to GM on the laptop and all the other settings are
> default. When I try to alter settings in cubase it crashes the
> programme. Any help would be much appreciated.
> Pat.

I'll assume you are already set up to be listening to the Cubase
audio through your Powerbook's audio system, and the sound is turned
up. The meter you are seeing move represents MIDI information being
present, not audio. It needs to be fed to an external Midi Instrument
through a Midi interface or to an internal VST Midi Instrument.

You need to go your VST Instruments panel and make an instrument
active - I think Cubase LE includes the "USM" Instrument plugin, try
assigning that and choose the sound you want to use, like Piano. Then
you go to the Midi ins and outs assignments on your MIDI Track, and
assign the Midi output of the track to the USM VST Instrument. You can
then check your VST Mixer to see and mix the fader levels of the audio
from the instruments.

HTH.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy