KOTOR2: Initial impressons (no spoilers)

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

I played it yesterday until about 4 AM. I think I started around
9 or 10 pm. I won't mention quests, planets, or NPCs.

New Interface
-------------

The only notable feature I've seen is the ability to setup two
sets of weapons and toggle between them. This lets you switch
between melee and ranged easily.

Characters
----------

The characters, at least during the first few hours of gameplay,
felt deep and real. The voice acting is top notch, and the
dialogue options are well written.

You also get to influence your party members this time and the
game tells you if you lose or gain influence. Thus far influence
does seem to affect how characters react to you and what dialogue
options become available. Also the higher the influence you have
on your party members the more they will be inclined to lean
toward your side of the force.

One of the characters you meet early on has some excellent
philsophical dialogue on the Force. I can see the PST influence
there.

Combat
-------

They've adeed force "forms" but I haven't gotten there yet. Other
than that it's the same system and I'm fine with it.

Story
-----

I'm not too sure about this yet. I won't give anything away so
all I will say is that the story feels a bit contrived. I felt
more of a connection with the first game because of the "karate
kid" like scene when you receive your jedi training. I haven't
encountered theatrics like that yet.

Overall
-------

I'm going to binge over the weekend and finish it. It looks like
a winner.

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:35:10 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>I'm going to binge over the weekend and finish it. It looks like
>a winner.

Compared to what? Wasn't the *last* RPG released for teh PC... KOTOR
1?

Nice competition there, eh?

And aren't you the guy who said Vampire was the same as Baldur's Gate
2 and Fallout? Have you managed to pull your head out of your ass yet
or are you just flapping your lips again?

Thrasher wrote:

> One good thing about KOTOR 2 so far... it isn't made by Bioware so my
> Bioware boycott is not in effect.

Bioware boycott?

"Thrasher" <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:35:10 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm going to binge over the weekend and finish it. It looks like
> >a winner.
>
> Compared to what? Wasn't the *last* RPG released for teh PC... KOTOR
> 1?
>
> Nice competition there, eh?
>
> And aren't you the guy who said Vampire was the same as Baldur's Gate
> 2 and Fallout? Have you managed to pull your head out of your ass yet
> or are you just flapping your lips again?

Why do you spew so much hate and vitriol over something as trivial as
computer RPGs?

> OK, now my first impressions after a few hours. First, the bad:
>
> 1) The game makes excessive use of scripting and linear design. Forced
> solo mode with the main character and the robot, in the first few
> minutes of the game, for example... to accomplish a sequential list of
> tasks. Tedious. I hope it gets better. I'm still in the "bonus"
> mission... why is it a bonus mission, when it's required, btw?

There is no required bonus mission in the prologue. As for why it's a
forced solo mode blah blah blah ... it's a prologue ie training level.

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:59:12 GMT, "Tom Meyer" <fake@email.address>
wrote:

>Why do you spew so much hate and vitriol over something as trivial as
>computer RPGs?

Hate and vitriol? So much drama!!

I don't hate shadows, I merely dislike him. And after some of the
insults people have thrown my way in this newsgroup, I hardly think
there was anything particularly offensive about MY comments.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-11, Tom Meyer <fake@email.address> wrote:
> "Thrasher" <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:35:10 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm going to binge over the weekend and finish it. It looks like
>> >a winner.
>>
>> Compared to what? Wasn't the *last* RPG released for teh PC... KOTOR
>> 1?
>>
>> Nice competition there, eh?
>>
>> And aren't you the guy who said Vampire was the same as Baldur's Gate
>> 2 and Fallout? Have you managed to pull your head out of your ass yet
>> or are you just flapping your lips again?
>
> Why do you spew so much hate and vitriol over something as trivial as
> computer RPGs?

Because he has no life?

Seriously, Thrasher gets racist, angry, and downright hostile
when it comes to games. Not just CRPGs. He needs a life. Not a
new game.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-11, Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 2) Bugs. Game crashes to desktop. A lot. What's the deal? And no, it
> isn't my system, I've played dozens of games on this system and not
> had any desktop crashing.

Only one CTD so far but the README isn't very encouraging :|

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Thrasher wrote:
>
> > One good thing about KOTOR 2 so far... it isn't made by Bioware so my
> > Bioware boycott is not in effect.
>
> Bioware boycott?

Maybe its cause Bioware = Ray Muzyka = Jap sounding name?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:35:10 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:
<SNIP>

>Combat
>-------
>
>They've adeed force "forms" but I haven't gotten there yet. Other
>than that it's the same system and I'm fine with it.

Are force forms similar to what the comics introduced with Nomi
Sunrider's ability to create creatures out of the Force?

Lynley

shadows wrote:

> I played it yesterday until about 4 AM. I think I started around
> 9 or 10 pm. I won't mention quests, planets, or NPCs.

I take it by the newsgroup you posted this in, that this game is an RPG
like KOTOR 1 and not a FPS like the Jedi academy series ?

--
DalienX

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-11, DalienX <somewhere@earth.com> wrote:
> shadows wrote:
>
>> I played it yesterday until about 4 AM. I think I started around
>> 9 or 10 pm. I won't mention quests, planets, or NPCs.
>>

> I take it by the newsgroup you posted this in, that this game is an RPG
> like KOTOR 1 and not a FPS like the Jedi academy series ?

Outstanding. Did you deduce that with your amazing detective
talents? I take it a trivial google search could have answered
this question?

MAIA

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:01:18 GMT, Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:43:52 +0700, "Ragemaster Randy"
><vivasawadee@yahoo.comski> wrote:
>
>>Maybe its cause Bioware = Ray Muzyka = Jap sounding name?

He-he, it is obviously Eastern European with a bit of creative
spelling. Muzyka = Music.

>No, it's because Bioware started making PC games as an afterthought.
>They sold out the market they started in.

Shrug. People like to try new things once in a while. And they are
still doing PC only games, too.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:22:57 GMT, Thrasher <spectre911@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>OK, now my first impressions after a few hours. First, the bad:

>1) The game makes excessive use of scripting and linear design. Forced
>solo mode with the main character and the robot, in the first few
>minutes of the game, for example... to accomplish a sequential list of
>tasks. Tedious. I hope it gets better. I'm still in the "bonus"
>mission... why is it a bonus mission, when it's required, btw?

Its not, go to the cockpit and you can skip to the main story.

[snip]

> I don't hate shadows, I merely dislike him.

What do you like, Thrasher ?

-Mickmils

And WHO do you like, come to think of all those hate
posts from you...

-Mickmils

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:59:12 GMT, "Tom Meyer" <fake@email.address>
> wrote:
>
> >Why do you spew so much hate and vitriol over something as trivial as
> >computer RPGs?
>
> Hate and vitriol? So much drama!!

I hope you're not seriously calling me dramatic, that from the guy who posts
rants about offensive asiatic jedi names.

> I don't hate shadows, I merely dislike him. And after some of the
> insults people have thrown my way in this newsgroup, I hardly think
> there was anything particularly offensive about MY comments.

I was asking in general why you always get so worked up over something as
minor as computer rpgs.