malikimkr

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
My setup:

Win98
Athlon XP2000+
Corsair XMS2700
Gigabyte GA7-VRX

Here is the situation. I had 256MB of Corsair XMS2700 in my computer. All the memory settings were set to their fastest and I've never had a problem for 8 months now. I decided to add another 256 XMS module. The first one I got caused random reboots shortly after I turned the computer on. I relaxed the memory settings to the lowest speeds and still had problems. The replacement module seems to work fine, as long as I have the memory settings set to their lowest.

One thing I noticed with both modules, when I would set the memory settings to their fastest (the same settings I had on my old module) the computer would boot into windows and I would immediately get a registry error and would have to restart. Once I relaxed the settings, that quit happening.

I've tried all the different configurations for the settings, I've tried all the combinations of slots with and without my old stick of memory and nothing seems to fix the problem.

Shouldn’t I be able to turn the settings up on the memory as long as I don’t overclock?

And also, why would it give me registry errors when I turn the settings of the memory up?

Thanks in advance!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Download and run the program MEMTEST86. It is very helpful in detecting memory problems.

Test one stick, then the other, then both.

On rare occasions people have troubles running two sticks of ram due to timing problems.
The usual solution is to swapthe ram about in the 3 slots... but it seems you ahve allready done this.

Also, are you running the ram at 133Mhz or 166Mhz. If its at 166 i suggest you go back to 133 andsee if its more stable. Fortunately you wont loose much performance this way.

If absolutely nothing works, you may have to bite the bullet and just get one stick of 512mb.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

malikimkr

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Thanks for the help. I'll try the memtest86 this weekend. I'm running at 133 right now. I did try to run at 166 and everything seemed to work ok. Just disappointed that I spent top dollar for memory and can't run it at full speed.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Also something I've noticed with Corsair ram is that if the voltage is low you will get errors. Most overclockers tend to give Corsair Ram a .10 bump in voltage by default.

I had problems running over 166FSB with agressive timings with my PC3200 until I gave it a slight voltage increase. Now its stable at 192FSB at the most agressive timings.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.