KotOR2 - anti aliasing problem

Last response: in Video Games
February 11, 2005 11:57:39 PM

I've just started to play KotOR2 and have to admit that I'm finding a
little glitch very distracting. Anti-aliasing drastically improves
the visual quality of the game, but (at least on my system) it causes
some sort of glitch where the text in info screens gets a bit
distorted. Or rather, there appears to be little horizontal lines
over the text. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any
ideas on it? I've tried 2x, 4x, and 6x anti-aliasing.

I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.

-David
February 12, 2005 11:36:26 AM

"David Bilek" <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've just started to play KotOR2 and have to admit that I'm finding a
> little glitch very distracting. Anti-aliasing drastically improves
> the visual quality of the game, but (at least on my system) it causes
> some sort of glitch where the text in info screens gets a bit
> distorted. Or rather, there appears to be little horizontal lines
> over the text. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any
> ideas on it? I've tried 2x, 4x, and 6x anti-aliasing.
>
> I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.

I had a similar problem with KotOR where the text never displayed properly
because the background didn't change to black. I solved it by using the ATI
drivers to set the anti-aliasing rather than the game's options panel. If
you haven't already, try turning everything off through the game, then go to
the ATI driver panel, uncheck "application preferences", and set the AA and
everything else from there.
February 13, 2005 8:38:27 AM

On 2005-02-12, Sarah <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:
> "David Bilek" <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've just started to play KotOR2 and have to admit that I'm finding a
>> little glitch very distracting. Anti-aliasing drastically improves
>> the visual quality of the game, but (at least on my system) it causes
>> some sort of glitch where the text in info screens gets a bit
>> distorted. Or rather, there appears to be little horizontal lines
>> over the text. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any
>> ideas on it? I've tried 2x, 4x, and 6x anti-aliasing.
>>
>> I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.
>
> I had a similar problem with KotOR where the text never displayed properly
> because the background didn't change to black. I solved it by using the ATI
> drivers to set the anti-aliasing rather than the game's options panel. If
> you haven't already, try turning everything off through the game, then go to
> the ATI driver panel, uncheck "application preferences", and set the AA and
> everything else from there.

Nvidia 5900 here and it renders perfectly with 4x anti
aliasing. Sounds like an ATI issue to me.
February 13, 2005 8:38:28 AM

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
>On 2005-02-12, Sarah <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:
>> "David Bilek" <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I've just started to play KotOR2 and have to admit that I'm finding a
>>> little glitch very distracting. Anti-aliasing drastically improves
>>> the visual quality of the game, but (at least on my system) it causes
>>> some sort of glitch where the text in info screens gets a bit
>>> distorted. Or rather, there appears to be little horizontal lines
>>> over the text. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any
>>> ideas on it? I've tried 2x, 4x, and 6x anti-aliasing.
>>>
>>> I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.
>>
>> I had a similar problem with KotOR where the text never displayed properly
>> because the background didn't change to black. I solved it by using the ATI
>> drivers to set the anti-aliasing rather than the game's options panel. If
>> you haven't already, try turning everything off through the game, then go to
>> the ATI driver panel, uncheck "application preferences", and set the AA and
>> everything else from there.
>
>Nvidia 5900 here and it renders perfectly with 4x anti
>aliasing. Sounds like an ATI issue to me.

Probably.

Sarah - your workaround did the trick. Certainly I'd prefer the
graphics glitch to be fixed in the game, but in the meantime this is
perfect. Thanks.

-David
February 13, 2005 10:49:44 AM

> Sarah - your workaround did the trick. Certainly I'd prefer the
> graphics glitch to be fixed in the game, but in the meantime this is
> perfect. Thanks.

Funnily enough, I'm not experiencing the same problem in KotOR2. I've set
all of the graphics options using the game. After finishing KotOR, I had
switched my settings back to use the application's preferences since that
works with every other game I play, and thought I'd initially try KotOR2
that way. To my surprise, everything works fine. I've updated my drivers
since KotOR, though. I'm currently using catalyst version 04.12.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:07:06 PM

> I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.
>
> -David

This problem is solved by actually using a quality video card, like,
say, one made by Nvidia. When you buy garbage, expect garbage results.
Now flame away ATI goats.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:07:33 PM

> Nvidia 5900 here and it renders perfectly with 4x anti
> aliasing. Sounds like an ATI issue to me.

Exactly.
February 13, 2005 7:32:03 PM

On 2005-02-13, ThE_AnArKiRsT <AnArKiRsT@compuserve.com> wrote:
>> I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.
>>
>> -David
>
> This problem is solved by actually using a quality video card, like,
> say, one made by Nvidia. When you buy garbage, expect garbage results.
> Now flame away ATI goats.

Wow, didn't I post that EXACT flame several months ago. I even
used the term "when you buy garbage, expect garbage results" and
I believe I put the comma like that too (which doesn't look
right).

I sense a disturbance in the force.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:41:42 PM

"Sarah" <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:
>"David Bilek" <dtbilek@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> Sarah - your workaround did the trick. Certainly I'd prefer the
>> graphics glitch to be fixed in the game, but in the meantime this is
>> perfect. Thanks.
>
>Funnily enough, I'm not experiencing the same problem in KotOR2. I've set
>all of the graphics options using the game. After finishing KotOR, I had
>switched my settings back to use the application's preferences since that
>works with every other game I play, and thought I'd initially try KotOR2
>that way. To my surprise, everything works fine. I've updated my drivers
>since KotOR, though. I'm currently using catalyst version 04.12.

I'm only running 04.10. I'll update and see what happens.

-David
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:42:15 PM

ThE_AnArKiRsT <AnArKiRsT@compuserve.com> wrote:

>> I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.
>>

>This problem is solved by actually using a quality video card, like,
>say, one made by Nvidia. When you buy garbage, expect garbage results.
> Now flame away ATI goats.

Hee hee. You're funny. I like you.

-David
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:28:36 AM

Uzytkownik "ThE_AnArKiRsT" <AnArKiRsT@compuserve.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> > I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.
> >
> > -David
>
> This problem is solved by actually using a quality video card, like,
> say, one made by Nvidia. When you buy garbage, expect garbage results.
> Now flame away ATI goats.

You are an idiot, simply as that.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:37:21 AM

Mandella wrote:
> Uzytkownik "ThE_AnArKiRsT" <AnArKiRsT@compuserve.com> napisal w wiadomosci
>
>>>I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.
>>>
>>>-David
>>
>>This problem is solved by actually using a quality video card, like,
>>say, one made by Nvidia. When you buy garbage, expect garbage results.
>> Now flame away ATI goats.
>

> You are an idiot, simply as that.

Oh, I'm an idiot "simply" as that? "Simply"? And *you're* calling *me*
an idiot? STFU retard.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:38:49 AM

David Bilek wrote:
> ThE_AnArKiRsT <AnArKiRsT@compuserve.com> wrote:
>
>>>I'm running on an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT.
>>>

>>This problem is solved by actually using a quality video card, like,
>>say, one made by Nvidia. When you buy garbage, expect garbage results.
>> Now flame away ATI goats.
>

> Hee hee. You're funny. I like you.
>
> -David

I don't know a lot of pretty females named "David", so here's to hoping
you're the first!
!