Can anyone help me how can I connect my phone to the internet?

I don't know if this is the correct section to post this if it isn't please move this to the correct area so I can get a better respond, anyway. My phone line is connected to a cable modem, my cable modem is a SBV5120 Motorola SURFboard, I would like to replace this cable modem but the problem is no cable modem except for broadband and DSL has a power line jack. I am a cable subscriber to Optimum Tripleplay that's cable tv, phone, and internet access so I have no option to use a cable modem and I don't know what to do after I found out about this one product on Newegg called a POES5 that's I would like to know about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833150057
I would like to know if this product can be use to jack in my phone line while its connected to the new cable modem?

POE - Power Over Ethernet please help me out here :cry:
3 answers Last reply
More about connect phone internet
  1. Although that product heavily emphasizes also using Cisco telephones, I think it would also work with most any other (analog) phone.

PoE is just a technology that allows that transmission of electrical power, as well as data, through Ethernet. It's normally used for applications like VoIP, webcams, wireless access points, etc.
  2. The product you list is only to provide power to a IP phone. This assumes you already are providing power over the ethernet cable and you phone does not accept it.

I suspect you have a normal telephone connected to the cable modem. The service they offer is actually a special voice over cable thing even though they call it voice over IP. To keep the service from them you would need a cable modem with telephone jacks

To replace the service and not buy phone from them you would need a product similar to magicjack. There are many of these type devices this is just the most well known
  3. deergab said:
    I don't know if this is the correct section to post this if it isn't please move this to the correct area so I can get a better respond, anyway. My phone line is connected to a cable modem, my cable modem is a SBV5120 Motorola SURFboard, I would like to replace this cable modem but the problem is no cable modem except for broadband and DSL has a power line jack. I am a cable subscriber to Optimum Tripleplay that's cable tv, phone, and internet access so I have no option to use a cable modem and I don't know what to do after I found out about this one product on Newegg called a POES5 that's I would like to know about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833150057
    I would like to know if this product can be use to jack in my phone line while its connected to the new cable modem?

POE - Power Over Ethernet please help me out here :cry:

/boggle?

What are you trying to do exactly? I work for a cable company but I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish in your post.

That device is designed to send POWER over CAT5 cable, this is a specific use device most often seen used to power security cameras and business phones in my experience, though I am sure there are other devices that can take power over Ethernet cables. Moto emta's however are NOT one of them.

Please explain what you are tying to accomplish and maybe I can make suggestions.
Ask a new question

Read More

VPN Phones Modem Cable Networking Product