  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2005 11:34:03 PM

Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
level 7 right now.

You can see images and the "origins" of my toons here:
http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/

--

Knight37

More about : spent morning coh

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 11:36:27 PM

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:

> Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
> level 7 right now.
>
> You can see images and the "origins" of my toons here:
> http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/

That's nice. As you can see, the character is Virtuadept, not Avirtua. So
many characters, so little memory.

--

Knight37

February 12, 2005 11:54:39 PM

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:
>
> > Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
> > level 7 right now.

Yes, a game so freakin boring that it requires 30 alts

I was over this one by last august.
February 13, 2005 2:00:12 AM

Lopez wrote:

> "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> > Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:
> >
> > > Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
> > > level 7 right now.
>
> Yes, a game so freakin boring that it requires 30 alts
>
> I was over this one by last august.

While I agree that a superior game will make playing with a single
character interesting, I see nothing wrong with using alts to explore
all aspects of the gaming resources provided. That's assuming I
understand the term "alts" in the first place.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 2:00:13 AM

"RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Lopez wrote:
> >
> > "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> > > Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:

He's

> > Yes, a game so freakin boring that it requires 30 alts
> >
> > I was over this one by last august.
>
> While I agree that a superior game will make playing with a single
> character interesting, I see nothing wrong with using alts to explore
> all aspects of the gaming resources provided. That's assuming I
> understand the term "alts" in the first place.
>
> --
>
> Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.
>
> "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

what he means is that the game, while initially is very, very cool, it gets
REAL old, REAL fast, and that only by starting 29 other characters can the
game be the least bit different.
February 13, 2005 2:06:20 AM

Melketh wrote:

> "RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Lopez wrote:
> > >
> > > "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message

> He's
> > >
> > > Yes, a game so freakin boring that it requires 30 alts
> > >
> > > I was over this one by last august.
> >
> > While I agree that a superior game will make playing with a single
> > character interesting, I see nothing wrong with using alts to explore
> > all aspects of the gaming resources provided. That's assuming I
> > understand the term "alts" in the first place.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.
> >
> > "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
>
> what he means is that the game, while initially is very, very cool, it gets
> REAL old, REAL fast, and that only by starting 29 other characters can the
> game be the least bit different.

A lack of variety of gameplay is the culprit? But isn't that the case
for all online RPGs? Is it just much worse for CoH?

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 2:06:21 AM

> Melketh wrote:
> >
> > "RogerM" <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> > He's

> > > While I agree that a superior game will make playing with a single
> > > character interesting, I see nothing wrong with using alts to explore
> > > all aspects of the gaming resources provided. That's assuming I
> > > understand the term "alts" in the first place.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the
future.

> > > "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
> >
> > what he means is that the game, while initially is very, very cool, it
gets
> > REAL old, REAL fast, and that only by starting 29 other characters can
the
> > game be the least bit different.
>
> A lack of variety of gameplay is the culprit? But isn't that the case
> for all online RPGs? Is it just much worse for CoH?
>
> --
>
> Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.
>
> "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

yes, it's very, VERY repetetive.

every quest is the same. Go to building Y and kill Bad Guy Z or kill X
number of bad guys.

no loot, no real rewards.

it's fun for a while, but I did not renew my subscription after the first
month.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:17:17 AM

RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> once tried to test me with:

>> what he means is that the game, while initially is very, very cool,
>> it gets REAL old, REAL fast, and that only by starting 29 other
>> characters can the game be the least bit different.
>
> A lack of variety of gameplay is the culprit? But isn't that the case
> for all online RPGs? Is it just much worse for CoH?

I can see where CoH might have this problem worse than say EQ2 or WoW. The
reason is that a) the quests all pretty much seem to be the same thing. Go
kill X badies. Or Go into warehouse and kill everything that moves. Oh
yeah, find the "clue" that's in there too. But be sure and wipe em all out,
it's the only way to be sure. There is no "stealth" from what I can see,
although I did see a power set that is for stealth so theoretically they've
got some stealth-oriented missions too. Also the text for the missions is
insanely generic. The minions are insanely generic. The villains, so far
(which admittedly I'm way too early into the game to be a fair judge) are
insanely generic.

And b) they don't have loot. You can aquire "enhancements' to your powers
to improve them, but that just doesn't quite feel as "tangible" as finding
a new sword or finding a new necklace that can improve your character in
different ways.

And c) the characters themselves, apart from LOOKING very unique, really
are pretty much fluff. You got Generic Attack Power 001, Generic Area
Effect Power 002, etc. Sure, they are each a little bit different. But not
very much. And a Blaster speced out with power set A is IDENTICAL to
another blaster speced out the same way from what i can tell. In other
games you have variations in skills, variations in stats. In WoW you have
the talent tree to differentiate yourself from others of the same class.
Plus your stats can greatly affect your potential and you can concentrate
on different ones depending on your play style. Not to mention the loot.

On the other hand, I was immediately in love with WoW from day one. It
didn't FEEL like a grind to me. Even though essentially it is, but it still
felt "new enough" and the game was immersive enough that I felt like I was
actually playing a character and not just on some silly treadmill. And
that's the difference, for me, between WoW and other MMOGs. Even EQ never
had this much immersion for me, and it did it better than any previous game
did. And for me, BEING the character in a fantasy world, well THAT is the
whole POINT to an MMOG. The levels, the team tactics, etc etc. that's just
all icing on the cake.

But its still pretty fun, at least so far. If I were not playing WoW I
would definitely be playing CoH. I don't know if it has the "staying power"
of an EQ or whatever, but it's certainly worth a few months subscription.
And who knows, City of Villains may be completely awesome. If CoH has an RP
server I'd like to try on one of those, I think part of what I miss about
WOW is the other people who genuinely want to participate in playing a
ROLE, not just grinding for XP.

Oh yeah, one thing I wasn't sure I'd think was worthwhile but I've fallen
in love with from CoH are the Inspirations or whatever they are called.
These are little temporary buffs that you can use to enhance your abilities
for a while, or heal yourself, or replentish your "mana" (power-battery),
and even Rez yourself if you are "defeated." You have to keep using them to
get new ones so you're constantly getting new power ups all the time. It's
like a little mini-game built into the system. I wish WoW had this idea, in
some way, it's pretty neat. WoW has potions and scrolls, but those are
things you buy and things you can store up. With Inspirations it's like
they encourage you to use em because the more you do the more you get, so
you never really save them up you're just using them all the time.

--

Knight37

February 13, 2005 2:37:48 PM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:54:39 GMT, "Lopez" <lopez_1_99@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
>> Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:
>>
>> > Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
>> > level 7 right now.
>
>Yes, a game so freakin boring that it requires 30 alts
>
>I was over this one by last august.

Same here. That reminds me, if anyone wants a copy they can have it for a
tenner + postage. Either that or I stick it on eBay.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:18:05 PM

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>There is no "stealth" from what I can see, although I did see a power set
>that is for stealth so theoretically they've got some stealth-oriented
>missions too.

There are no stealth-oriented missions, no mission requires that you have
stealth to complete it. You can however, use stealth on any mission that
doesn't require that you defeat every villian in the mission. I've done
dozens of missions where I've used stealth sneak past all the villains
and do absolute minimum necessary to complete the mission successfully.

>And c) the characters themselves, apart from LOOKING very unique, really
>are pretty much fluff. You got Generic Attack Power 001, Generic Area
>Effect Power 002, etc. Sure, they are each a little bit different. But not
>very much. And a Blaster speced out with power set A is IDENTICAL to
>another blaster speced out the same way from what i can tell.

Attack powers sets tend to be similiar, what distinguishes Blasters
and Scrappers from each other isn't their primary attack powers, but
the their secondary power sets. Still Blasters are the most generic of
the archetypes, few people care what kind of Blaster you are. On the
other hand my Defender gets paged all the time by people asking what
kind of Defender she is, because the primary power set choice makes a
big difference. A Force Field Defender plays a lot differently from an
Empathy Defender or a Dark Miasma Defender.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 13 Feb 2005 00:17:17 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> once tried to test me with:
>
>>> what he means is that the game, while initially is very, very cool,
>>> it gets REAL old, REAL fast, and that only by starting 29 other
>>> characters can the game be the least bit different.
>>
>> A lack of variety of gameplay is the culprit? But isn't that the case
>> for all online RPGs? Is it just much worse for CoH?
>
>I can see where CoH might have this problem worse than say EQ2 or WoW. The
>reason is that a) the quests all pretty much seem to be the same thing. Go
>kill X badies. Or Go into warehouse and kill everything that moves. Oh
>yeah, find the "clue" that's in there too. But be sure and wipe em all out,
>it's the only way to be sure. There is no "stealth" from what I can see,
>although I did see a power set that is for stealth so theoretically they've
>got some stealth-oriented missions too. Also the text for the missions is
>insanely generic. The minions are insanely generic. The villains, so far
>(which admittedly I'm way too early into the game to be a fair judge) are
>insanely generic.

Yes, to some extent. At higher levels you get more temporary power drop, but
personally I would've liked to have some permanent ones you could acquire,
so that, for example, a scrapper could stay at range & use a ranged temp
power for that nasty melee mob.

>And b) they don't have loot. You can aquire "enhancements' to your powers
>to improve them, but that just doesn't quite feel as "tangible" as finding
>a new sword or finding a new necklace that can improve your character in
>different ways.

Yes, loot should be there, but more as an add-on than the primary draw-card.
After all, who heard of superheroes who have to spend most of their time
acquiring & improving gadgets to be more effective? (well, except for maybe
Batman ;-) Other things that 'uniqify' characters are a good thing in
general.

>And c) the characters themselves, apart from LOOKING very unique, really
>are pretty much fluff. You got Generic Attack Power 001, Generic Area
>Effect Power 002, etc. Sure, they are each a little bit different. But not
>very much. And a Blaster speced out with power set A is IDENTICAL to
>another blaster speced out the same way from what i can tell. In other
>games you have variations in skills, variations in stats. In WoW you have
>the talent tree to differentiate yourself from others of the same class.
>Plus your stats can greatly affect your potential and you can concentrate
>on different ones depending on your play style. Not to mention the loot.

They also should've made a lot more out of the different dmg types. They
could've made different mob types more fire/cold/electricity/energy/etc
resistant/vulnerable - that way different mixes of ATs would be very useful
on different missions. As a primarily ice blaster I can take on almost
anything much like an energy or fire blaster (across similar powers). It
makes almost no diff unfortunately. They even should've made villains immune
to certain dmg types, just like characters should've had (temp) powers to do
the same.

>On the other hand, I was immediately in love with WoW from day one. It
>didn't FEEL like a grind to me. Even though essentially it is, but it still
>felt "new enough" and the game was immersive enough that I felt like I was
>actually playing a character and not just on some silly treadmill. And
>that's the difference, for me, between WoW and other MMOGs. Even EQ never
>had this much immersion for me, and it did it better than any previous game
>did. And for me, BEING the character in a fantasy world, well THAT is the
>whole POINT to an MMOG. The levels, the team tactics, etc etc. that's just
>all icing on the cake.

What team tactics in WoW lol? All I ever read is there are none - you can
solo the whole thing w/o so much as batting an eyelid.

>But its still pretty fun, at least so far. If I were not playing WoW I
>would definitely be playing CoH. I don't know if it has the "staying power"
>of an EQ or whatever, but it's certainly worth a few months subscription.
>And who knows, City of Villains may be completely awesome. If CoH has an RP
>server I'd like to try on one of those, I think part of what I miss about
>WOW is the other people who genuinely want to participate in playing a
>ROLE, not just grinding for XP.

Better to look for a TCP game with mates for that (ala NWN) than a mmorpg.
Really. XP grinding on the hamster wheel of success is all you'll ever get
from 95% of the ppl on there, along with some social chit-chat. The
difference between us may be, I happen to be ok with that sort of thing ;-p

>Oh yeah, one thing I wasn't sure I'd think was worthwhile but I've fallen
>in love with from CoH are the Inspirations or whatever they are called.
>These are little temporary buffs that you can use to enhance your abilities
>for a while, or heal yourself, or replentish your "mana" (power-battery),
>and even Rez yourself if you are "defeated." You have to keep using them to
>get new ones so you're constantly getting new power ups all the time. It's
>like a little mini-game built into the system. I wish WoW had this idea, in
>some way, it's pretty neat. WoW has potions and scrolls, but those are
>things you buy and things you can store up. With Inspirations it's like
>they encourage you to use em because the more you do the more you get, so
>you never really save them up you're just using them all the time.

Yup, they crop like candy. What I would've liked to see is 2 or 3 categories
of completely different Inspirations - from the current ones that last 30
secs to ones that last a whole mission to perhaps ones that last until you
level up - just to make some of them rare & really sought after. Then at
least you'd probably see more trading going on (along with personal 'vaults'
to store them like loot). As it stands, they are just throwaway/giveaway
items.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

February 13, 2005 7:13:51 PM

Nostromo wrote:
> What team tactics in WoW lol? All I ever read is there are none - you
> can solo the whole thing w/o so much as batting an eyelid.

That's probably true, but only if you wait to do "elite" quests until your
character is a much higher level than that for which the quest is designed.

A major fault with the game is that it allows lower level characters to
"ride the coattails" of *much* higher level characters. That's probably
true of all MMORPGs, but WoW is the first one I've played long enough to see
it and see how it ruins the game.

And that's why I've quit playing it, too.

--
chainbreaker
February 13, 2005 7:13:51 PM

Nostromo wrote:

> Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 13 Feb 2005 00:17:17 GMT, Anno
> Domini:
>

> >But its still pretty fun, at least so far. If I were not playing WoW I
> >would definitely be playing CoH. I don't know if it has the "staying power"
> >of an EQ or whatever, but it's certainly worth a few months subscription.
> >And who knows, City of Villains may be completely awesome. If CoH has an RP
> >server I'd like to try on one of those, I think part of what I miss about
> >WOW is the other people who genuinely want to participate in playing a
> >ROLE, not just grinding for XP.
>
> Better to look for a TCP game with mates for that (ala NWN) than a mmorpg.

That seems to be the case, and why after getting back into NWN online,
I've been reluctant to go to the trouble and expense of trying WoW.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:22:16 PM

RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in

> A lack of variety of gameplay is the culprit? But isn't that the case
> for all online RPGs? Is it just much worse for CoH?

I don't know about other online RPGs since CoH is the only one I've played,
but compared to Freedom Force, Neverwinter Nights (+SoU +HotU), Baldur's
Gates, Icewind Dales -- yes, it *is* much worse.

--
Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

Thus spake "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com>, Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:36:57 -0600,
Anno Domini:

>yes, it's very, VERY repetetive.
>
>every quest is the same. Go to building Y and kill Bad Guy Z or kill X
>number of bad guys.
>
>no loot, no real rewards.
>
>it's fun for a while, but I did not renew my subscription after the first
>month.

Yeah, same here - I signed up last April, played for a month & a half & then
got real busy at work so didn't renew. However, I re-joined a couple months
later & took to it like crazy! It's now leveled off to 2-4 hrs per week, but
it's still worth it for my AU$20/mth I reckon. Must be time for a new alt
methinks! :)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 13, 2005 7:29:51 PM

Knight37 wrote:

> And if you want to talk PvP, which CoH doesn't even HAVE yet, that requires
> a lot of group tactics, way more than any PvE game does. I spent an evening
> the other night trying with several others to root out some nasty horde who
> were clever enough to take over the top of a tower which gave them a severe
> tactical advantage, and this was hella fun. We had to come up with plans
> and tactics that could overcome their positional advantage and some of
> their good tactics that were hard to defeat (they were fearing people who
> tried to run up the stairs so only one or two of us could get up there to
> engage them, and our ranged attackers were unable to be effective because
> we couldn't hit them from the ground and the visibility was very low to try
> and hit them within the tower itself. Also they had healers who stayed
> back away from the fighting and when one of the fighters would get low
> they'd just run back for a heal and then they were back in it, and since we
> couldn't get to their healers this gave them a major advantage).

Now THAT sounds exactly like the sort of gaming experience I'd be
looking for in a MMORPG. I've had similar (but rare) experiences in NWN,
but party versus monsters, rather than another party. It sounds great.

My greatest complaint about PvP gaming is a lack of balance, though. The
system needs some way of ensuring that roughly equal groups matchup
against each other. Slaughters get boring fast, even for the victors.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:36:53 PM

On 12 Feb 2005 20:34:03 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
>level 7 right now.
>
>You can see images and the "origins" of my toons here:
>http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/

Shee, everyone has a blog these days. I'm missing out on another great
cultural shift.

Hong "still deciding between Xbox and PS2" Ooi
--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:36:53 +1100, Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote:

>On 12 Feb 2005 20:34:03 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>
>>Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
>>level 7 right now.
>>
>>You can see images and the "origins" of my toons here:
>>http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/
>
>Shee, everyone has a blog these days. I'm missing out on another great
>cultural shift.

Maybe you're just too humble to think anyone would read your journal.

Those things seem redundant to me. I already know what I do each day - no
need to write about it. I already have enough to do without the chore of
talking about myself. Besides, that's what Usenet is for.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> once tried to test me with:

> On 12 Feb 2005 20:34:03 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>
>>Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
>>level 7 right now.
>>
>>You can see images and the "origins" of my toons here:
>>http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/
>
> Shee, everyone has a blog these days. I'm missing out on another great
> cultural shift.

Well blogging is okay, but USENET is way more social. :)

> Hong "still deciding between Xbox and PS2" Ooi

Don't forget <whisper> -Gamecube- </whisper>.

Personally XBox won the console war for me. The games I want to play are
there. Some PS2 ones, sure, but most of the "exclusive" games that I'm
intererested in are on the X. And almost any game that is multi-platform is
better on the X, for my milage anyway.

--

Knight37

February 13, 2005 8:34:45 PM

"Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> writes:

> no loot, no real rewards.

What loot and real rewards? MMORPGs don't have real "rewards". When
you get a Sooper Sword in a item-based game like WoW, and you use it
instead of the Cool Sword you already have, you do so in order to
actually have a damage output that matches your level. CoH takes care
of that extra leveling treadmill itemhunting represents by simplifying
it extremely.

A CoH hero's attack power will deal the same relative damage to an
even level mob at level 30 as it did at level 5; a WoW rogue's 0.9 DPS
dagger will be USELESS at higher levels. That's why they need the loot
and items: Because the equipment "levels" are holding back the
leveling game.

Items that traditional MMORPGs have are just fluff that pretends to be
content, but really are just there to fill out the volume so that it's
harder to see that the game itself is just as shallow as CoH.

The CoH badges are far better rewards in that regard. Now, if "unique"
equipment actually was unique (i.e. only one character could own it)
we could talk real rewards. But not when dropped by camped respawning
mobs.
February 13, 2005 8:34:46 PM

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:

> "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> writes:
>
> > no loot, no real rewards.
>
> What loot and real rewards? MMORPGs don't have real "rewards". When
> you get a Sooper Sword in a item-based game like WoW, and you use it
> instead of the Cool Sword you already have, you do so in order to
> actually have a damage output that matches your level. CoH takes care
> of that extra leveling treadmill itemhunting represents by simplifying
> it extremely.
>
> A CoH hero's attack power will deal the same relative damage to an
> even level mob at level 30 as it did at level 5; a WoW rogue's 0.9 DPS
> dagger will be USELESS at higher levels. That's why they need the loot
> and items: Because the equipment "levels" are holding back the
> leveling game.
>
> Items that traditional MMORPGs have are just fluff that pretends to be
> content, but really are just there to fill out the volume so that it's
> harder to see that the game itself is just as shallow as CoH.

I'd say that having a reason to go out and earn or steal that +9 Oobur
Butterknife of Stickiness represents some depth in itself. It sounds
like CoH merely provides the Butterknife on levelup, removing a motive
for at least one quest (however shallow IT might be).

> The CoH badges are far better rewards in that regard. Now, if "unique"
> equipment actually was unique (i.e. only one character could own it)
> we could talk real rewards. But not when dropped by camped respawning
> mobs.

Ah, yes. I LOVE the idea of truly unique items in an online RPG, and I
HATE the concept of repeatedly killing the same boss in order to garner
a rare drop. In my own (very humble) NWN module, each quest is triggered
once. There is no farming of bosses. Very little farming at all,
actually, as only nuisance creatures respawn. My module isn't design for
PW service, of course. It would be much harder to arrange in that
setting, but I think it could be done.

Unique items raise balance issues, though. Unless only the names and
appearances of said items are unique. Imagine being the only warrior on
a PvP server with the +8 Greatsword of Demon Slaying (an other players
know it), when a +5 is the best anyone else has. Actually, that could
make for some fun gaming.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 9:01:42 PM

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:

> You can see images and the "origins" of my toons here:
> http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/

I played Virtuadept again some this morning just to take some action shots.
He was actually level 6 not level 7 as I'd thought. But he is NOW level 7.
Anyway, I got some shots and have updated my COH Blog which is here:

http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/

I'm working on doing something similar for my WoW toons next.

Blogging my adventures is almost as much fun as playing! :)

--

Knight37

February 13, 2005 9:02:58 PM

Knight37 wrote:

> Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:
>
> > You can see images and the "origins" of my toons here:
> > http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/
>
> I played Virtuadept again some this morning just to take some action shots.
> He was actually level 6 not level 7 as I'd thought. But he is NOW level 7.
> Anyway, I got some shots and have updated my COH Blog which is here:
>
> http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/
>
> I'm working on doing something similar for my WoW toons next.
>
> Blogging my adventures is almost as much fun as playing! :)

I'd definitely be interested in the WoW stuff.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 10:48:11 PM

Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> once tried to test me with:
> Hong "still deciding between Xbox and PS2" Ooi

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>Don't forget <whisper> -Gamecube- </whisper>.
>
>Personally XBox won the console war for me. The games I want to play are
>there.

XBox lost war for me. There's only a couple of RPGs that are truly
exclusive to the XBox that I can't get for my PC, GameCube or PS2.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
-()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
db //
February 14, 2005 3:30:30 AM

"Lopez" <lopez_1_99@yahoo.com> writes:

> "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> > Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:
> >
> > > Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
> > > level 7 right now.
>
> Yes, a game so freakin boring that it requires 30 alts

No, a game with such brilliant character creation that it demands 30
alts. You might never play them, but creating them is tons of fun!
EVE Online is another game where character creation is a form of
entertainment of its own, and Second Life is close but was too
complicated for me.
February 14, 2005 10:20:10 AM

Thus spake "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:27:17
-0500, Anno Domini:

>Nostromo wrote:
>> What team tactics in WoW lol? All I ever read is there are none - you
>> can solo the whole thing w/o so much as batting an eyelid.
>
>That's probably true, but only if you wait to do "elite" quests until your
>character is a much higher level than that for which the quest is designed.
>
>A major fault with the game is that it allows lower level characters to
>"ride the coattails" of *much* higher level characters. That's probably
>true of all MMORPGs, but WoW is the first one I've played long enough to see
>it and see how it ruins the game.
>
>And that's why I've quit playing it, too.

Bugger. But you survived years of D2 rushing & whatnot CB...? :-/

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 14, 2005 10:20:11 AM

Nostromo wrote:
> Thus spake "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, Sun, 13 Feb 2005
> 08:27:17 -0500, Anno Domini:
>
>> Nostromo wrote:
>>> What team tactics in WoW lol? All I ever read is there are none -
>>> you
>>> can solo the whole thing w/o so much as batting an eyelid.
>>
>> That's probably true, but only if you wait to do "elite" quests
>> until your character is a much higher level than that for which the
>> quest is designed.
>>
>> A major fault with the game is that it allows lower level characters
>> to "ride the coattails" of *much* higher level characters. That's
>> probably true of all MMORPGs, but WoW is the first one I've played
>> long enough to see it and see how it ruins the game.
>>
>> And that's why I've quit playing it, too.
>
> Bugger. But you survived years of D2 rushing & whatnot CB...? :-/

Well, what I stated was a much simplified statement of the "real" problem.
It's stuff very akin to griefing and not at all similar to D2's rushing. D2
avoids the problems I'm talking about by letting you create a new game, an
option you don't have with an MMORPG.

What I'm talking about is stuff along the lines of a D2 where there is only
one Diablo to kill at a given time for everyone on Bnet. You're in NM and
have cleared the CS with your level 28ish barb and a level 29 friend after a
lot of work. Just as you're ready to run to the last seal and pop it, the
screen shakes, you hear the voice, and just as you get to big D you see him
fall and a level 90 sorc with a level 20 nec in tow snap up the drop and
exit the game.

Now you have anywhere from a 5-15 minute wait for D to spawn, and no
guarantee the same thing won't happen again.

Or . . . your level 26 is about to enter the Bloody Hills in Normal only to
find a level 65 Nec is farming the area for charms--the *only* Bloody Hills
there is--and you'll have to wait 10-15 minutes for the monsters to respawn
*or* spend 5-15 minutes traveling somewhere else to level etc. on the
offhand chance you won't run into the same BS *there*, too.

The game was a lot of fun until the munchkins got their characters maxed, or
nearly.

--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

Knight37 wrote:

> Well on Argent Dawn if I start engaging even a total stranger in RP,
they
> (usually) respond in kind. In CoH, I get blank stares, or "you're
weird",
> or whatever. That's what I'm talking about, a place where people who
do
> like RP can know where to congregate, that way we can find each other
and
> have our fun. I've also noticed that CoH doesn't have emotes? Is that
true?
> I couldn't figure out how to find them if they do. Emotes greatly
enhance
> the RP-ness of an MMOG.

I believe Virtue is the unofficial RP server. Also, you should check
out alt.games.coh. If I'm wrong about Virtue, they'll set the record
straight over there.

--
Scorcho
Liberty Server

Knight37 Feb 13, 6:58 am show options

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
From: Knight37 <knight...@email.com> - Find messages by this author
Date: 13 Feb 2005 14:58:16 GMT
Subject: Re: Spent the morning in CoH...
original | Report Abuse

Nostromo <nostr...@spamfree.net.au> once tried to test me with:

>> Yes, loot should be there, but more as an add-on than the primary
> draw-card. After all, who heard of superheroes who have to spend most

> of their time acquiring & improving gadgets to be more effective?
> (well, except for maybe Batman ;-) Other things that 'uniqify'
> characters are a good thing in general.

>You do have a point, "loot" does not really fit in the genre of
superheroes. At least, not all of them. But if it's a flaw in the
concept
then perhaps "superheroes" is a flawed concept for an MMOG.

>Because for me, "loot" is one of the major "fun factors" of any game.
In
Diablo 2, I play to find the nice new rare drops, etc. In WoW there's
more
there too, but loot is defintely a major enticement.
Knight37
---------------

Not all games should be the same just as not everyone thinks the same
way.
Not having 'loot' was one of the things I enjoyed the most out of CoH,
I'm playing EQ2 now (because my guild wanted, otherwise I would have
stayed in the very fun CoH).
Several things have been said in this thread that are mostly false:
- Characters are very similar: Can't be more false. With so many
power combinations (including the power pools, and epic power pools)
it's almost impossible to see someone with your exact group of powers,
and even if you did, the way you 'slotted' your powers will most
probably be different. You could have made your fire blast a very
damaging but erratic one, while someone else's could be weaker but more
accurate, while someone else could have made it weaker but with a
faster recast time. Also, comparing different powersets may lead you to
think powers are similar (AoE fire vs. AoE cold). Thing is, damage
wise they're similar, but each powerset has a particular secondary
effect (fire does extra damage, cold slows, electricity drains stamina,
etc)
- Quests are too simple: Just give it time, once you play to higher
levels (unless you go the boring route, just endlessly hunting without
doing missions), things get better (Oranbega, cape quest, respec trial,
etc are more varied than the low level missions)
- Emotes. There are many emotes, don't remember how you check them,
from the usual bow, smile, etc, to dance, boombox (with different
songs) and all that.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:58:04 PM

In article <Xns95FBBA0B1F95Dknight37m@130.133.1.4>, Knight37 wrote:
> And c) the characters themselves, apart from LOOKING very unique, really
> are pretty much fluff. You got Generic Attack Power 001, Generic Area
> Effect Power 002, etc. Sure, they are each a little bit different. But not
> very much. And a Blaster speced out with power set A is IDENTICAL to
> another blaster speced out the same way from what i can tell.

They do play a bit differently when you actually get high enough level
to unlock more powers and enhance the secondary effects (if any), much
less getting the Final Powers. Blasters are probably the most identical
of all the archetypes though, and spend most of the low levels cycling
attacks as fast as they can refresh without needing to worry about
tactics more than "can I get all of them in my cone effects?".

> In other
> games you have variations in skills, variations in stats. In WoW you have
> the talent tree to differentiate yourself from others of the same class.
> Plus your stats can greatly affect your potential and you can concentrate
> on different ones depending on your play style. Not to mention the loot.

The primary/secondary power sets that you choose do pretty much amount
for most of your variation in CoH, though certain power pool choices can
give you a bit more variety, especially if you choose something that's
not solo-maximized.

Any two Controllers are likely to play quite differently though, unless
they're using a min-max template - something which I would wager exists
for any class in any game.

You do get some "loot" in the form of Accolades and Temporary Powers
(some of which can be extremely potent and last for quite a number of
uses). But you're never going to have something that someone else can't
get, unless they just never bothered to do any missions.

For some people, that's a feature. Others, it's a bug. Mileage may vary.

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

My my, doesn't "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> look good in that
trenchcoat:

>>> And that's why I've quit playing it, too.
>>
>> Bugger. But you survived years of D2 rushing & whatnot CB...? :-/

>Well, what I stated was a much simplified statement of the "real" problem.
>It's stuff very akin to griefing and not at all similar to D2's rushing. D2
>avoids the problems I'm talking about by letting you create a new game, an
>option you don't have with an MMORPG.
>
>What I'm talking about is stuff along the lines of a D2 where there is only
>one Diablo to kill at a given time for everyone on Bnet. You're in NM and
>have cleared the CS with your level 28ish barb and a level 29 friend after a
>lot of work. Just as you're ready to run to the last seal and pop it, the
>screen shakes, you hear the voice, and just as you get to big D you see him
>fall and a level 90 sorc with a level 20 nec in tow snap up the drop and
>exit the game.
>
>Now you have anywhere from a 5-15 minute wait for D to spawn, and no
>guarantee the same thing won't happen again.
>
>Or . . . your level 26 is about to enter the Bloody Hills in Normal only to
>find a level 65 Nec is farming the area for charms--the *only* Bloody Hills
>there is--and you'll have to wait 10-15 minutes for the monsters to respawn
>*or* spend 5-15 minutes traveling somewhere else to level etc. on the
>offhand chance you won't run into the same BS *there*, too.
>
>The game was a lot of fun until the munchkins got their characters maxed, or
>nearly.

Hmmm. This is a shame, as you seemed to be right into the game for a while
there. I haven't really had too many of the type of problem that you
describe, although I've only been as far as level 23 with any character, and
it's probably more down to dumb luck rather than good management on my part.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:54:47 PM

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> Hmmm. This is a shame, as you seemed to be right into the game for
> a while there. I haven't really had too many of the type of
> problem that you describe, although I've only been as far as level 23
> with any character, and it's probably more down to dumb luck rather
> than good management on my part.

I'm not going to say that this kind of thing is "rampant", but I have
experienced it enough to call it "frequent"--whatever those words connotate
for everybody. And I don't have the mindset to put up with it at all. I
can take a certain amount of similarly-leveled folks jostling around for the
goods because everyone's more or less on equal terms. But throw just one
high level into the mix and things go completely to hell.

I'm back to an earlier idea I had where enemies of any kind effectively
simply don't exist for toons more than ten or so levels higher than they
are. I can't think of any other way to fix this problem, and until/unless
it's fixed, I'm out--and probably out of any MMORPG, since I'd say all of
them have about the same kind of thing going on.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
February 14, 2005 7:54:48 PM

chainbreaker wrote:

> I'm back to an earlier idea I had where enemies of any kind effectively
> simply don't exist for toons more than ten or so levels higher than they
> are. I can't think of any other way to fix this problem, and until/unless
> it's fixed, I'm out--and probably out of any MMORPG, since I'd say all of
> them have about the same kind of thing going on.

Many NWN servers solve this by having areas level-restricted. If your
level is too high (and in some cases, too low), you simply can't enter.
The server I was just adventuring on has such restrictions for the
sewers under the starting city. Levels 1-4 can go in and level up
reasonably easily. Levels 5+ can't enter at all. It's likely that the
encounter spawns can be designed only to trigger for a certain level
range, but that would require more work with the scripting.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:54:49 PM

RogerM wrote:
> chainbreaker wrote:
>>
>> I'm back to an earlier idea I had where enemies of any kind
>> effectively simply don't exist for toons more than ten or so levels
>> higher than they are. I can't think of any other way to fix this
>> problem, and until/unless it's fixed, I'm out--and probably out of
>> any MMORPG, since I'd say all of them have about the same kind of
>> thing going on.
>>

> Many NWN servers solve this by having areas level-restricted. If your
> level is too high (and in some cases, too low), you simply can't
> enter. The server I was just adventuring on has such restrictions for
> the
> sewers under the starting city. Levels 1-4 can go in and level up
> reasonably easily. Levels 5+ can't enter at all. It's likely that the
> encounter spawns can be designed only to trigger for a certain level
> range, but that would require more work with the scripting.

I thought about that, but several quests in WoW have you returning back to
starting areas when characters are *much* higher in level. I don't know why
Bliz did this, since there are always more than enough folks willing to act
like horses' asses just because they can, and these folks might not have
thought to come back to these otherwise low level areas on their own if
quests didn't send them back. Quests like that just fan the flames.
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
February 14, 2005 8:28:12 PM

chainbreaker wrote:

> RogerM wrote:
> > chainbreaker wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm back to an earlier idea I had where enemies of any kind
> >> effectively simply don't exist for toons more than ten or so levels
> >> higher than they are. I can't think of any other way to fix this
> >> problem, and until/unless it's fixed, I'm out--and probably out of
> >> any MMORPG, since I'd say all of them have about the same kind of
> >> thing going on.
> >>

> > Many NWN servers solve this by having areas level-restricted. If your
> > level is too high (and in some cases, too low), you simply can't
> > enter. The server I was just adventuring on has such restrictions for
> > the
> > sewers under the starting city. Levels 1-4 can go in and level up
> > reasonably easily. Levels 5+ can't enter at all. It's likely that the
> > encounter spawns can be designed only to trigger for a certain level
> > range, but that would require more work with the scripting.
>
> I thought about that, but several quests in WoW have you returning back to
> starting areas when characters are *much* higher in level. I don't know why
> Bliz did this, since there are always more than enough folks willing to act
> like horses' asses just because they can, and these folks might not have
> thought to come back to these otherwise low level areas on their own if
> quests didn't send them back. Quests like that just fan the flames.
> --

Yeah, that sounds like a flaw in the design all right. It's never a good
idea to give folks a reason to be jerks. Most come by it easily enough.

NWN certainly has its own flaws, but there are so many servers out there
(running different modules), that most players can find one or two that
suit their style play quite well. I just started on a new server a
couple of days ago (the one I was describing earlier), and it suits me
quite well. Not too hard, not too easy. A fair number of quests.
Upgradable equipment. I think I'll spending quite a bit of time there.

And if you can't find a server that suits you, you can always design
your own and invite a few friends online to play it. OR download one
from the net.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:02:50 PM

chainbreaker <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Well, what I stated was a much simplified statement of the "real"
> problem. It's stuff very akin to griefing and not at all similar to
> D2's rushing. D2 avoids the problems I'm talking about by letting
> you create a new game, an option you don't have with an MMORPG.

> What I'm talking about is stuff along the lines of a D2 where there
> is only one Diablo to kill at a given time for everyone on Bnet.
> You're in NM and have cleared the CS with your level 28ish barb and
> a level 29 friend after a lot of work. Just as you're ready to run
> to the last seal and pop it, the screen shakes, you hear the voice,
> and just as you get to big D you see him fall and a level 90 sorc
> with a level 20 nec in tow snap up the drop and exit the game.

> Now you have anywhere from a 5-15 minute wait for D to spawn, and no
> guarantee the same thing won't happen again.

How often does (did) this happen for you? I can recall _occasionally_
running into a situation where there was some unique non-instanced mob
that two groups were hunting simultaneously, and one group them wound
up having to wait for a respawn. I can't remember ever having to wait
out two cycles, or even having to wait once and then seeing a third
group have to wait after mine.

Maybe it's that I play on an RP server, and people there are less
interested in power-leveling, I dunno.

> Or . . . your level 26 is about to enter the Bloody Hills in Normal
> only to find a level 65 Nec is farming the area for charms--the
> *only* Bloody Hills there is--and you'll have to wait 10-15 minutes
> for the monsters to respawn *or* spend 5-15 minutes traveling
> somewhere else to level etc. on the offhand chance you won't run
> into the same BS *there*, too.

Can you give an example here? I've got a max-level character, and I
can't think of any drop item that it would be worth my time to farm
low-level mobs for. Much more efficient to kill things appropriate
for my level and use the money to buy whatever I need at the auction
house.

--
Adam Smith
Anonymous

Adam Smith wrote:
> Can you give an example here? I've got a max-level character, and I
> can't think of any drop item that it would be worth my time to farm
> low-level mobs for. Much more efficient to kill things appropriate
> for my level and use the money to buy whatever I need at the auction
> house.

I have no idea. I've run into high level (15+ higher levels than the area)
druids slaughtering ever creature in sight that could be skinned on several
occasions. Why, I don't know, since I have (had) a druid myself and found
out pretty quick that that kind of thing mostly only gets you scraps, if
anything at all.

And on 3-4 separate occasions I've been behind solo toons 20+ levels higher
killing everything in sight just because they could, I suppose.

It might just have been a particularly bad run of luck I ran into a little
over a week or so, but it, combined with what else I'd seen was enough to
keep me from playing for a week, and yesterday decided it was enough to
cancel my account. Since I paid 3 months, I suppose it's a donation to Bliz
for the remaining 1 1/2 months, but that's just the way she'll have to be.

--
chainbreaker
February 15, 2005 12:09:58 AM

Thus spake "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com>, Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:48:00
-0500, Anno Domini:

>> Bugger. But you survived years of D2 rushing & whatnot CB...? :-/
>
>Well, what I stated was a much simplified statement of the "real" problem.
>It's stuff very akin to griefing and not at all similar to D2's rushing. D2
>avoids the problems I'm talking about by letting you create a new game, an
>option you don't have with an MMORPG.
>
>What I'm talking about is stuff along the lines of a D2 where there is only
>one Diablo to kill at a given time for everyone on Bnet. You're in NM and
>have cleared the CS with your level 28ish barb and a level 29 friend after a
>lot of work. Just as you're ready to run to the last seal and pop it, the
>screen shakes, you hear the voice, and just as you get to big D you see him
>fall and a level 90 sorc with a level 20 nec in tow snap up the drop and
>exit the game.
>
>Now you have anywhere from a 5-15 minute wait for D to spawn, and no
>guarantee the same thing won't happen again.
>
>Or . . . your level 26 is about to enter the Bloody Hills in Normal only to
>find a level 65 Nec is farming the area for charms--the *only* Bloody Hills
>there is--and you'll have to wait 10-15 minutes for the monsters to respawn
>*or* spend 5-15 minutes traveling somewhere else to level etc. on the
>offhand chance you won't run into the same BS *there*, too.
>
>The game was a lot of fun until the munchkins got their characters maxed, or
>nearly.

Bugger :( . And to think, if I hadn't been so bloody busy these last few
weeks I may have fallen prey to the temptation & cashed in my $100 EB gift
voucher & I'd be cursing your name now! ;-p

Think I'll go back to my new alt defender in CoH & continue to enjoy that
mmorpg in moderation. Heavens know I need to learn it ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 15, 2005 12:09:59 AM

Nostromo wrote:
> Bugger :( . And to think, if I hadn't been so bloody busy these last
> few weeks I may have fallen prey to the temptation & cashed in my
> $100 EB gift voucher & I'd be cursing your name now! ;-p
>
> Think I'll go back to my new alt defender in CoH & continue to enjoy
> that mmorpg in moderation. Heavens know I need to learn it ;-)

Heh, some of your posts I remembered seeing a couple of weeks or so back
induced me to pick up VtM:Bloodlines when I saw it for a decent price this
weekend despite some bad press.

Got any quick starting tips and pointers? :-)

--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

On 13 Feb 2005 15:02:14 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Shee, everyone has a blog these days. I'm missing out on another great
>> cultural shift.
>
>Well blogging is okay, but USENET is way more social. :)

I'm not sure that "social" is the word I'd use to describe it....

>> Hong "still deciding between Xbox and PS2" Ooi
>
>Don't forget <whisper> -Gamecube- </whisper>.

Heavens, is that still around?

>Personally XBox won the console war for me. The games I want to play are
>there. Some PS2 ones, sure, but most of the "exclusive" games that I'm
>intererested in are on the X. And almost any game that is multi-platform is
>better on the X, for my milage anyway.

I'm leaning towards the Xbox myself, if only because Jade Empire is looking
seriously cool.

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ | -- RR
Sydney, Australia |
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:23:08 AM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 02:46:09 -0600, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:36:53 +1100, Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote:
>
>>On 12 Feb 2005 20:34:03 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Had a friggin' blast. I played Avirtua, a technology based blaster. He's
>>>level 7 right now.
>>>
>>>You can see images and the "origins" of my toons here:
>>>http://cohadventures.blogspot.com/
>>
>>Shee, everyone has a blog these days. I'm missing out on another great
>>cultural shift.
>
>Maybe you're just too humble to think anyone would read your journal.

That will be on your tombstone when you die. Or maybe my tombstone when I
die.

>Those things seem redundant to me. I already know what I do each day - no
>need to write about it. I already have enough to do without the chore of
>talking about myself.

Neurosis: it's the new black!

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ | -- RR
Sydney, Australia |
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:12:20 PM

My my, doesn't "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> look good in that
trenchcoat:

>> Hmmm. This is a shame, as you seemed to be right into the game for
>> a while there. I haven't really had too many of the type of
>> problem that you describe, although I've only been as far as level 23
>> with any character, and it's probably more down to dumb luck rather
>> than good management on my part.
>
>I'm not going to say that this kind of thing is "rampant", but I have
>experienced it enough to call it "frequent"--whatever those words connotate
>for everybody.

Fair enough. I suppose "frequent" is a relative term, and since we all tend
to have different aspects that "push our buttons", there's bound to be
variation.

I've seen a few times (but to me, very infrequent) when I'll arrive at an area
only to find that absolutely everything in sight has been slaughtered, but
that could just as easily be a good group or well specced solo player of the
right level, and sometimes a 30 and 40 something player killing things in
teens or twenty something areas, but it's been a fairly rare and non sustained
occurance for me.

>And I don't have the mindset to put up with it at all.

Understood.

Well, you'll be missed. For a while now I've been wondering why I haven't
seen Embre or Wendeth online, and now I know.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:12:21 PM

Stephen van Ham wrote:
>> And I don't have the mindset to put up with it at all.
>
> Understood.
>
> Well, you'll be missed. For a while now I've been wondering why I
> haven't seen Embre or Wendeth online, and now I know.

Appreciated. Well, I'll miss our crew and much of the game for sure, but
not enough to put up with paying for the described aggravations. I guess
becoming an old fart just shortens the fuze for a lot of things. :-)

And losing three different bosses to griefing (or maybe not, not really, but
it doesn't really matter) high levels almost in succession--on different
quests no less--*really* shortens the fuze.
--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

chainbreaker <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Adam Smith wrote:
>> Can you give an example here? I've got a max-level character, and I
>> can't think of any drop item that it would be worth my time to farm
>> low-level mobs for. Much more efficient to kill things appropriate
>> for my level and use the money to buy whatever I need at the auction
>> house.

> I have no idea. I've run into high level (15+ higher levels than the area)
> druids slaughtering ever creature in sight that could be skinned on several
> occasions. Why, I don't know, since I have (had) a druid myself and found
> out pretty quick that that kind of thing mostly only gets you scraps, if
> anything at all.

> And on 3-4 separate occasions I've been behind solo toons 20+ levels higher
> killing everything in sight just because they could, I suppose.

> It might just have been a particularly bad run of luck I ran into a little
> over a week or so, but it, combined with what else I'd seen was enough to
> keep me from playing for a week, and yesterday decided it was enough to
> cancel my account. Since I paid 3 months, I suppose it's a donation to Bliz
> for the remaining 1 1/2 months, but that's just the way she'll have to be.

Ah, okay. The skinners were probably people who took leatherworking
as a profession "late" (either by switching from something else or by
just not choosing a profession early on) so they had to come back to
the low-level area to skill up. And now that you mention that, I do
remember that when one of my characters was learning herbalism/alchemy
early on, there was a level-30 elf scouting for herbs in the same
area. But that's the only such instance I can recall. (Though
herbalism and alchemy are definitely under-represented professions. I
can certainly see that what you're describing might be a problem for
skinning or mining.)

Anyhow, like the other response to this post said, you should still
have a month or so left on your account, so if you feel like giving it
a go again you could. If you do, I really recommend a roleplay
server. Not to say that everyone will be an angel there, but I've had
mostly positive experiences dealing with other players, even in
resource-conflict situations.

--
Adam Smith
Anonymous

chainbreaker wrote:
> It might just have been a particularly bad run of luck I ran into a little
> over a week or so, but it, combined with what else I'd seen was enough to
> keep me from playing for a week, and yesterday decided it was enough to
> cancel my account. Since I paid 3 months, I suppose it's a donation to Bliz
> for the remaining 1 1/2 months, but that's just the way she'll have to be.

I'm pretty sure that your "cancelled" account is still usable until that
1 1/2 months is up (it's just further payments that have been
cancelled). So, please, take a few weeks off, and give it another chance
after that. Maybe on a different server? Because, seriously, I've
clocked well over 250 hours in WoW and I wouldn't even need a whole hand
to count the number of times that anything like that has happened to me.

Cheers!
David...
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:07:59 AM

Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> once tried to test me with:

> I'm leaning towards the Xbox myself, if only because Jade Empire is
> looking seriously cool.

Got it pre-ordered.

I'm not too happy with myself. I fell prey to a ploy. The pre-ordered Jade
Empire is a special version that comes with a new playable character that
will not exist for the post-launch version of the game.

--

Knight37

February 16, 2005 8:10:57 AM

"Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> Knight37 wrote:
>>
>> Well on Argent Dawn if I start engaging even a total stranger in RP,
> they
>> (usually) respond in kind. In CoH, I get blank stares, or "you're
> weird",
>> or whatever. That's what I'm talking about, a place where people who
> do
>> like RP can know where to congregate, that way we can find each other
> and
>> have our fun. I've also noticed that CoH doesn't have emotes? Is that
> true?
>> I couldn't figure out how to find them if they do. Emotes greatly
> enhance
>> the RP-ness of an MMOG.
>>

> I believe Virtue is the unofficial RP server. Also, you should check
> out alt.games.coh. If I'm wrong about Virtue, they'll set the record
> straight over there.
>
> --
> Scorcho
> Liberty Server
> Bark Lee lvl 30 MA/SR scrapper
> Scorcho lvl 24 Fire/Dev blaster
> Nynaeve lvl 23 Emp/Dark defender
> 8 or so lvl 2s

Hey I'm on Liberty. I'll send you a tell sometime. If I play again soon. :)

--

Knight37

February 16, 2005 8:18:55 AM

David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> once tried to test me with:

> chainbreaker wrote:
>> It might just have been a particularly bad run of luck I ran into a
>> little over a week or so, but it, combined with what else I'd seen
>> was enough to keep me from playing for a week, and yesterday decided
>> it was enough to cancel my account. Since I paid 3 months, I suppose
>> it's a donation to Bliz for the remaining 1 1/2 months, but that's
>> just the way she'll have to be.
>
> I'm pretty sure that your "cancelled" account is still usable until
> that 1 1/2 months is up (it's just further payments that have been
> cancelled). So, please, take a few weeks off, and give it another
> chance after that. Maybe on a different server? Because, seriously,
> I've clocked well over 250 hours in WoW and I wouldn't even need a
> whole hand to count the number of times that anything like that has
> happened to me.

I'm on Argent Dawn (RP) and I've had one case where someone was a complete
asshat. It happened near Dun Modr in the Wetlands, and what happened was I
was in a group and we were hunting for a named to kill him and loot his ear
for a quest. Well, this particular named spawns EITHER at Dun Modr or at a
camp site a little ways away. We'd sat in Dun Modr for quite a while and he
wasn't spawning so they sent me over to the camp to check it out. I got to
the camp, and he's there, so I tell the buds to come to me. They had almost
got to me when another group starts running up. I say "We've got him, we've
been waiting for him a while." What do they do? they pull him ASAP before
my group can get close enough to engage.

And I could have lived with that, thinking maybe they didn't pay attention,
or maybe they accidentally pulled him. But then the smug little bastard
that did it walks over after they killed the named and says "oh, so sorry".
Little prick. So I said "I'm sure you are."

Anyway I just /ignored the lot of em and put them on my permanent "no rez
for j00!" lists and went on with my virtual life. Pricks will be pricks,
and they can only ruin my fun if I let them get to me. We just went on and
did something else and then came back later.

--

Knight37

February 16, 2005 8:22:40 AM

wolfing1@yahoo.com once tried to test me with:

> - Quests are too simple: Just give it time, once you play to higher
> levels (unless you go the boring route, just endlessly hunting without
> doing missions), things get better (Oranbega, cape quest, respec trial,
> etc are more varied than the low level missions)

What's the point in making a game that's only fun once you spend hours
playing it?

I would think that the early quests would be exemplary of the whole, unless
the people writing the game are stupid.

In WoW, the early quests are interesting.

--

Knight37

February 16, 2005 6:37:02 PM

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
: In WoW, the early quests are interesting.

How many variations on the theme of "go gank 10 critters" or "fedex this
to named_dofus_00 is LandsOfBFD" or "Bring me the head of AlfredoGarcia_00"
have you seen? WoW's quests are really no more or less interesting than
those available in EQ1, CoH, Horizon's, etc.

      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!