something wrong with me? bored with everything

Spork

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004

I think there is something wrong with me. Lately I have been bored with any
video game I play. Maybe I will finally try my 3000 piece new york puzz3d.

I'm still to bored of kotor 1 to even think about trying 2.
I actually made it into the bg2 expansion but then I got stuck on a
impossible battle and hung that game up months ago.

Even tried a few xbox games like halo2 and mercenaries. bored of
mercenaries after 3 hours, loaded cheats, bored again after 2 hours. Halo 2
actually drew me in for about 2 weeks with the live mode.

WoW is about the only thing I can play in very small doses. I havent treid
gothic 2 (do i need to play 1?) or vampire bloodlines. maybe they will save
the day? I am tired of paying 16 dollars a month to play alone in WoW.

Some games I have played and enjoyed are
Fallout 1&2
Planescape Torment
Xcom
Starcraft
Warcraft3
Silent hill series
resident evil series
super mario bros 3 (a long time ago)
maybe a few others i cant think of at the moment

All good things come to a end sometime.

"Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> once tried to test me with:

> I think there is something wrong with me.

Your name is Spork. Obviously there's something wrong. ;P

> Lately I have been bored
> with any video game I play. Maybe I will finally try my 3000 piece
> new york puzz3d.

Find a girlfriend.

> I'm still to bored of kotor 1 to even think about trying 2.
> I actually made it into the bg2 expansion but then I got stuck on a
> impossible battle and hung that game up months ago.
>
> Even tried a few xbox games like halo2 and mercenaries. bored of
> mercenaries after 3 hours, loaded cheats, bored again after 2 hours.
> Halo 2 actually drew me in for about 2 weeks with the live mode.
>
> WoW is about the only thing I can play in very small doses. I havent
> treid gothic 2 (do i need to play 1?) or vampire bloodlines. maybe
> they will save the day? I am tired of paying 16 dollars a month to
> play alone in WoW.

If you're playing alone in WoW then you're not playing right. What server
are you on?

I tried Bloodlines, it seemed really cool at first but it ends up getting
kind of repetitive and combat-oriented, while at the first it was just
really sweet. I'm too early into Gothic 2 to have an opinion but Gothic 1
was superb.

> Some games I have played and enjoyed are
> Fallout 1&2

Excellent.

> Planescape Torment

2nd Best RPG evar!

> Xcom

Overrated.

> Starcraft

Superb!!

> Warcraft3

Okay. Probably would like it better now that I've played WoW.

> Silent hill series

Eh. First one creeped me out but it got old after a while.

> resident evil series

Again, kind of eh at this point. Codename: Veronica was pretty nice tho on
the DC.

> super mario bros 3 (a long time ago)

That IS old. Tried any new Marios? Or better yet, Jak and Daxter? If you
like platformers you can't really top Jak.

> maybe a few others i cant think of at the moment

Half-life 2 is pretty sweet.

If you like old-school RPGs it's hard to beat Wizardry 8.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on the consoles is a really fun game especially
if you have another person to play through it in coop mode with.

I'm enjoying City of Heroes but really WoW is better.

But to me it sounds like you should just quit gaming for a few months and
find some other hobby, then when you feel refreshed come back.

--

Knight37

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> WoW is about the only thing I can play in very small
> doses. I havent treid gothic 2 (do i need to play 1?) or
> vampire bloodlines. maybe they will save the day? I am
> tired of paying 16 dollars a month to play alone in WoW.

I really like VtM: Bloodlines, but as it is quite repetitive, my advice is
to stay away if you get bored easily. Gothic 2 might be worth a try, though.

You might want to consider Arcanum and/or KotOR 1 and 2 as well.

Getting older maybe ? Blasé ?

Or maybe the flurry of *me too* games of the recent years. Games are now
as expensive as movies, so the suits have moved in, risk control is the
motto of the day. Expect more and more overpaid franchise, less and less
originality.
There is also a law of diminishing returns, the *wow* effect in getting
herder to get, most "easy" problems (graphics, sound, ...) to solve in games
are now solved, only left are decent AI, better feedback, good scenario, not
things you can expect any breakthrough in the next 10 years.

*If* you are willing to get into difficult games, try Combat Mission, it
is a 3D WWII wargame. I've been playing it for more than 5 years now...
still not bored (I only play human opponents).

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:46:37 GMT, "Hermann" <hr_hesse@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> WoW is about the only thing I can play in very small
>> doses. I havent treid gothic 2 (do i need to play 1?) or
>> vampire bloodlines. maybe they will save the day? I am
>> tired of paying 16 dollars a month to play alone in WoW.
>
>I really like VtM: Bloodlines, but as it is quite repetitive, my advice is
>to stay away if you get bored easily. Gothic 2 might be worth a try, though.
>
>You might want to consider Arcanum and/or KotOR 1 and 2 as well.

I gave up on KOTOR 1 after about 20 hours purely because it had turned
into dungeon seige....all I did was click on stuff and watch my guys
annihilate it.

20 hours to realise I shouldn't have spent even 1.

j.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-13, Spork <asdf@ewr.com> wrote:

> Some games I have played and enjoyed are
> Fallout 1&2
> Planescape Torment

KOTOR2 is closed to PST. I'd give it a try. What bore you about
the first one? The KOTOR series get interesting half way through
the game. There's a lot of build up.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-14, hammerstein <jcoomber@nildTWATFILTERram.co.uk> wrote:

> I gave up on KOTOR 1 after about 20 hours purely because it had turned
> into dungeon seige....all I did was click on stuff and watch my guys
> annihilate it.
>
> 20 hours to realise I shouldn't have spent even 1.

There's no point in playing the KOTOR series if you want
challenging combat. In both games your character is strong in the
force. The story for both is quite good though.

In KOTOR2 things get a bit challenging when you are forced to
play solo as one of your party members.

> I gave up on KOTOR 1 after about 20 hours purely because it had
turned
> into dungeon seige....all I did was click on stuff and watch my guys
> annihilate it.
>
> 20 hours to realise I shouldn't have spent even 1.

I got bored with the game but finished it anyway. The problem I had
with KOTOR are the class. They're all almost the same. It all came
down to chopping down your opponents with a lightsaber no matter what
class you try to roleplay. Disarming traps and unlocking doors should
give some experience points to thieves don't you think?

shadows wrote:

> In KOTOR2 things get a bit challenging when you are forced to
> play solo as one of your party members.

That made it cool though. Specifically the (spoiler)..... part when you
are stuck on the Levithan. You have to choose one NPC to take control
of, and they're all different, start in different locations and have
different capabilities. Forcing you to play as a character other than
your own was rather effective.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-14, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> shadows wrote:
>>
>> In KOTOR2 things get a bit challenging when you are forced to
>> play solo as one of your party members.
>>

> That made it cool though. Specifically the (spoiler)..... part when you
> are stuck on the Levithan. You have to choose one NPC to take control
> of, and they're all different, start in different locations and have
> different capabilities. Forcing you to play as a character other than
> your own was rather effective.

I'm talking about KOTOR2. It has a LOT more of this. And I do
mean a lot more.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:02:05 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>There's no point in playing the KOTOR series if you want
>challenging combat. In both games your character is strong in the
>force. The story for both is quite good though.

My comment was probably a bit harsh, as I did enjoy myslf for those 20
hours, regardless of not completing it. I do enjoy the tactical combat
aspect of the game, but I like a good plot too....it's just that when
combat got boring, all that was left was a mediocre plot (IMO) and a
mildly funny robot.

>In KOTOR2 things get a bit challenging when you are forced to
>play solo as one of your party members.

I'm going to save my pennies for Gran Turismo 4 I think.

j.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-15, Champion <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I gave up on KOTOR 1 after about 20 hours purely because it had
> turned
>> into dungeon seige....all I did was click on stuff and watch my guys
>> annihilate it.
>>
>> 20 hours to realise I shouldn't have spent even 1.
>
> I got bored with the game but finished it anyway. The problem I had
> with KOTOR are the class. They're all almost the same. It all came
> down to chopping down your opponents with a lightsaber no matter what
> class you try to roleplay. Disarming traps and unlocking doors should
> give some experience points to thieves don't you think?

You're a Jedi not a thief.

The game isn't some silly hack'n'slash. It has a good story and
deep characters. It's supposed to be a ROLE playing game
foremostly.

Spork wrote:
> Some games I have played and enjoyed are
> Fallout 1&2
> Planescape Torment
> Xcom
> Starcraft
> Warcraft3
> Silent hill series
> resident evil series
> super mario bros 3 (a long time ago)
> maybe a few others i cant think of at the moment

Sounds to me like you are in the mood for some more strategy games. Try
Rome Total War, Hearts of Iron II, and Sid Meier's Pirates! as top new
releases. Head over to the strategy newsgroup for some more options.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-16, hammerstein <jcoomber@nildTWATFILTERram.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:50:24 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
> wrote:

>>You brought up Gran Turismo as a better game. That's like saying
>>it's better to play Tetris. There is no comparison.
>
> I'll compare what I want to thanks. And for the record, I didn't
> compare GT to KOTOR, you did that for me.
>
>>The KOTOR series isn't about action. Seriously. It's all about
>>the story.
>
> Yup, I agree. The only thing I would disagree on is that the KOTOR
> story was anything other than the standard amnesiac learning about his
> past story (or story number 5 as they call it in hollywood). I'd
> figured it out long before the revelation, and I was under the
> impression that 90% of the rest of you had too.

KOTOR is about how our actions define who we are and not our
past. It's not excessively deep (save a few moments), but it's
still a better story than most of the hack'n'slash CRPGs out
there.

In fact if I remember correctly it was Locke who once defined a
person as memory. Without the memory of a specific person you
cannot be that person. According to Locke then if you lost your
memory and were on death row you ought to be set free since
you're no longer the person who was sentenced to death.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:21:04 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>KOTOR is about how our actions define who we are and not our
>past. It's not excessively deep (save a few moments), but it's
>still a better story than most of the hack'n'slash CRPGs out
>there.

It's drama, suspense and execution that make a good plot into a good
story. That's why the weak plot in HalfLife seemed so bloody good - it
was expertly executed. Grim Fandango is probably the finest example of
good story-telling in a game IMO. RPGs are somewhat hindered on the
drama front, because as a player we want full control of the action
(this is kind of what Ceowulf was complaining about). It's supposed to
be us _playing_ the role, not guiding it. KOTOR has a couple of these
moments, but I agree, for the most part the story was solid if lacking
a little in execution at times.

>In fact if I remember correctly it was Locke who once defined a
>person as memory. Without the memory of a specific person you
>cannot be that person. According to Locke then if you lost your
>memory and were on death row you ought to be set free since
>you're no longer the person who was sentenced to death.

While that makes logical sense, there are many cases where adopted
children, when they meet thier biological parents for the first time
discover that they share mannersisms, beliefs and even dress sense and
colour preference. Nature vs. Nurture is the subject heading I do
believe, and while it's not laboratory proof, there are enough
startling coincidences to make me feel that the person in the
situation Locke descibes, while having no memory of those actions,
will have a somewhat predisposed genetic leaning towards repeating
them.

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:34:07 GMT, "Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote:

>Silent hill series

And you were'nt bored? I bought SH3 and found it one of the most
boring games I have ever played - too many damned doors to open.

Spork

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004

actually i have only played 1&2 and liked them both. never tried 3 or 4 yet

On 2005-02-17, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:

> Ok, I didnt know that, I didnt have the stamina to play through again though
> I've kinda been trying to push myself to do so.
>
> But you have to admit, the part where Malak is kept alive by the scripting
> and running through doors and so on is utterly frustrating. The fact that he
> is taunting you about how powerful he is as he runs like a girl was enough
> to make me grind my teeth :p

Oh that. That only happened once. It was when he captured
Bastilla too. Personally I loved that encounter. The music made
it very worthwhile.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:59:53 GMT, shadows wrote:

> On 2005-02-17, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I didnt know that, I didnt have the stamina to play through again though
>> I've kinda been trying to push myself to do so.
>>
>> But you have to admit, the part where Malak is kept alive by the scripting
>> and running through doors and so on is utterly frustrating. The fact that he
>> is taunting you about how powerful he is as he runs like a girl was enough
>> to make me grind my teeth :p
>
> Oh that. That only happened once. It was when he captured
> Bastilla too. Personally I loved that encounter. The music made
> it very worthwhile.

The chase music from Benny Hill?
--
RJB
2/17/2005 10:59:21 AM

I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix.
--Dan Quayle

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-17, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm assuming that you could use Force Drain on the captured Jedi?
> WOuldn't that make the battle just as difficult as you'd spend huge
> amounts of time casting this "spell" and you would eventually run out
> of Force points?

By the time I reached Malak force points were never an issue.

In any case I didn't beat Malak at his own game. A better way to
do it is to throw lightsabre at all the corpses, and then cast
Knight Speed and run around throwing thermal detonators at Malak.

One of the villian fights in KOTOR2 is eons better than this
though. KOTOR2 Spoiler below:

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

Darth Scion in KOTOR2 is your exact opposite. His hunger for
power makes him unable to let go of the Force and he becomes a
tormented slave to the Force. When you confront him at the Sith
Academy on Malachor V you find out to your own dismay that he is
immortal. You cannot kill him.

There in lies the irony. Even though Darth Scion cannot be killed
he can still be defeated. Even though YOU can be destroyed you
stand undefeated. What happens is that you and him lock into a
perpetual battle where you defeat him constantly and stand your
ground. Through dialogue you eventually convince him that you are
stronger than him and will always be because you do not need the
Force to make you immortal where he does.

Scion: "There is no life without the Force... the force is a
blade without it I am defenseless."

Eventually you either humiliate him to the point where he lets go
of the force and commits suicide or you get him to redeem himself
where he lets go of the force and also expires.

A most cool battle.

Spork wrote:

> actually i have only played 1&2 and liked them both. never tried 3 or 4 yet
>
> "Chris Pound" <Chris@invalid.noemail> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:34:07 GMT, "Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Silent hill series
> >
> > And you were'nt bored? I bought SH3 and found it one of the most
> > boring games I have ever played - too many damned doors to open.

I like 1 & 2 but 3 turns me off by introducing the invulnerable ghosts in the
very early stage of the game where candles are so rare (actually I only found 1
b4 I'm finally fed-up and wipe the game off my PC and threw the disk out of my
window)

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-17, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> How does that jibe with the scripted events in the story though, where
> your memory isn't allowed to be used.
>
> Oh look it's a bunch of Dark Jedi, the last bunch attacked us, what do
> you bet these will too, lets attack them first.
> Oh wait, you can't.
>
> The script forces you to walk into range of them so they can yap at you
> and then initiate combat so that they get first strike.

You know how many people would complain about missing events
because they didn't know they should talk first?

> That kind of forced scripting is what ruins KotOR, since you aren't
> allowed to make certain choices no matter how in-character they are.

You are allowed to make enough.

"Champion" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I gave up on KOTOR 1 after about 20 hours purely because it had
> turned
>> into dungeon seige....all I did was click on stuff and watch my guys
>> annihilate it.
>>
>> 20 hours to realise I shouldn't have spent even 1.
>
> I got bored with the game but finished it anyway. The problem I had
> with KOTOR are the class. They're all almost the same. It all came
> down to chopping down your opponents with a lightsaber no matter what
> class you try to roleplay.

Nothing that says you have to use a lightsaber (though it is a very nice way
to go.)

I've gone through the game without any lightsabers or Jedi powers at all.

I've gone through as pure spellcasters (no weapons in hand), Han-Solo-style
blaster teams, scoundrel-consuler teamups (consulars loaded up with
paralyzing spells, scoundrels loaded up with 2-handed/flurry/speed dealing
out massive sneak attack damage.) So there's plenty of variety here if you
stoke the imagination a bit.

But it's true the technical skills were woefully underexploited in this
game. No matter what alignment, in-your-face combat is mandatory for too
much of the game not to be proficient in it.