Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pitch-recognition software?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 6:09:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
project.
Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
music.
Any suggestions?
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:23:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:09:58 -0500, Larry Pohjola <lpohjola@mnsi.net>
wrote:

>I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
>pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
>project.
>Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
>portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
>graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
>location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
>of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
>music.
>Any suggestions?

Have you seen G-tune?
<http://www.jhc-software.com/gtune.htm&gt;
Even the unregistered demo version lets you see frequency from 15-5500
Hz to 0.01 Hz, relationship to musical notes in several tunings and
temperaments, waveform and spectrum displays, and lots of things I
haven't even looked into. To use it for more than 10 minutes at a
time, you need to register, for GBP 20 or $35.

In addition to its musical functions, it makes a handy non-contact
tachometer for small engines and other mechanisms...

Loren
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:19:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:09:58 -0500, Larry Pohjola <lpohjola@mnsi.net> wrote:
> I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
> pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
> project.
> Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
> portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
> graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
> location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
> of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
> music.
> Any suggestions?

Sounds like a job for LabView, which has among other things a frequency
counter capability.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:42:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Larry Pohjola"
>I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
> pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
> project.
> Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
> portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
> graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
> location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
> of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
> music.
> Any suggestions?


** Why not try low tech method ?

Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
match the pitch exactly.

Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music shops.




............. Phil
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:42:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <33p1sqF438mflU1@individual.net> philallison@tpg.com.au writes:

> "Larry Pohjola"
> >I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
> > pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
> > project.

> > Original source is an old (1960's) live
> > location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
> > of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
> > music.

>
> ** Why not try low tech method ?
>
> Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
> match the pitch exactly.
>
> Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music shops.

There are a couple of problems that I see with that. It's Indian
music, and they have some pitches in their scales that aren't the same
as us Westerners. And as I interpret the question, he's looking for
the intonation accuracy (relative to the Indian scale) of a recorded
performer. In order to do that the low tech way you describe, you'd
need a musician who had a similar instrument to the one recorded, and
who know how to play that sort of music. A piano wouldn't do, in this
case.

What would be useful would be an AutoTune-like program, where you
could enter the theoretically correct pitch for every note in the
scale, and then see a graphical representaion of "cents off" vs. time
when playing the recording. Maybe AutoTune can do this.


enter

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 8:22:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

There are many "guitar tuner" style pitch detector software products, some of
which are probably freeware. They normally will detect any pitch within most
instrument's and voice's range. Try a google search on "guitar tuner software".

You should know though, that none of theses devices can detect pitch in
polyphonic music, which sounds like the application you're describing. In other
words, only a single, pure tone can be recognized as a specific pitch. Chords
or other simultaneous tones will be unrecognizable. Also, some tones with heavy
harmonic distortion or overtone content can be difficult to track.


Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:45:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Phil Allison" <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:33p1sqF438mflU1@individual.net...
>
> "Larry Pohjola"
> >I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
> > pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
> > project.
> > Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
> > portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
> > graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
> > location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
> > of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
> > music.
> > Any suggestions?
>
>
> ** Why not try low tech method ?
>
> Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
> match the pitch exactly.
>
> Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music shops.
>
>
>
>
> ............ Phil
>

Don't you think this a rather double handling / twice as inaccurate method
of achieving the wanted outcome?

The tape may be running slightly faster or slower relative to the machine it
was originally recorded on so therefore a potential for error ?

Matching the pitch to a person playing an instrument then relies on the
pitch recognition ability of the person adjusting the instrument (assume the
person playing it for the purpose of the exercise). Another possible error.

Cumulative errors just lead to greater potential inaccuracy.

As the original poster is using this for a research project, the accuracy of
the measurement will impact directly on the validity of the data collected
and therefore the credibility of the research outcome in the first place.

If it was me, I'd be going with the software option. The G-Tune software
suggested by Loren is probably worth a try if you are a struggling student
or you are just prepared to accept the limitations of the demo version.

Dean
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:45:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <41d93e62$0$8085$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au> deanus4u@_spamless_hotmail.com writes:

> The tape may be running slightly faster or slower relative to the machine it
> was originally recorded on so therefore a potential for error ?

That wouldn't affect relative pitch (intonation). But then maybe I'm
reading too much into the original poster's message and all he needs
is a pitch pipe.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:48:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Dean Usher"
> "Phil Allison"
>> "Larry Pohjola"
>> >I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
>> > pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
>> > project.
>> > Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
>> > portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
>> > graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
>> > location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
>> > of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
>> > music.
>> > Any suggestions?
>>
>>
>> ** Why not try low tech method ?
>>
>> Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
>> match the pitch exactly.
>>
>> Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music shops.
>>
>
> Don't you think this a rather double handling / twice as inaccurate method
> of achieving the wanted outcome?


** Errr - twice as inaccurate as what other ??


> The tape may be running slightly faster or slower relative to the machine
> it
> was originally recorded on so therefore a potential for error ?


** Your solution to that is ?????


>
> Matching the pitch to a person playing an instrument then relies on the
> pitch recognition ability of the person adjusting the instrument


** Nope - it relies on being ability to detect audible beats between the
extra player and the matching one on the recording, a fairly simple task
that can have as many judges as you like.


> Cumulative errors just lead to greater potential inaccuracy.


** Yawn.


> As the original poster is using this for a research project, the accuracy
> of
> the measurement will impact directly on the validity of the data collected
> and therefore the credibility of the research outcome in the first place.
>

** Yawn.


> If it was me, I'd be going with the software option.


** Got any proof it will work at all with a recorded musical ensemble ??

Maybe use a d'Arsonval amp meter for the job ??

Maybe go shove you fat head down a dunny ??



............... Phil
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:03:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Many thanks for the suggestions. I will follow them up.
FYI - the project is a comparative analysis between the theoretical
"sruti"-based intonation of North-Indian classical music, and the
actual recorded performance of a soloist. Secondarily, compare the
actual performance with "Western-music" temperament(s). The hypothesis
is that actual performance practice approximates western scale tuning
rahter than the theoretical Indian scale.
So software is the way to go.

Again many thanks.

Larry
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:30:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Phil Allison" <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:33u7f7F43htsiU1@individual.net...
>
> "Dean Usher"
> > "Phil Allison"
> >> "Larry Pohjola"
> >> >I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
> >> > pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
> >> > project.
> >> > Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
> >> > portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
> >> > graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
> >> > location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
> >> > of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
> >> > music.
> >> > Any suggestions?
> >>
> >>
> >> ** Why not try low tech method ?
> >>
> >> Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
> >> match the pitch exactly.
> >>
> >> Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music
shops.
> >>
> >
> > Don't you think this a rather double handling / twice as inaccurate
method
> > of achieving the wanted outcome?
>
>
> ** Errr - twice as inaccurate as what other ??
>
>
> > The tape may be running slightly faster or slower relative to the
machine
> > it
> > was originally recorded on so therefore a potential for error ?
>
>
> ** Your solution to that is ?????
>
>
> >
> > Matching the pitch to a person playing an instrument then relies on the
> > pitch recognition ability of the person adjusting the instrument
>
>
> ** Nope - it relies on being ability to detect audible beats between
the
> extra player and the matching one on the recording, a fairly simple task
> that can have as many judges as you like.
>
>
> > Cumulative errors just lead to greater potential inaccuracy.
>
>
> ** Yawn.
>
>
> > As the original poster is using this for a research project, the
accuracy
> > of
> > the measurement will impact directly on the validity of the data
collected
> > and therefore the credibility of the research outcome in the first
place.
> >
>
> ** Yawn.
>
>
> > If it was me, I'd be going with the software option.
>
>
> ** Got any proof it will work at all with a recorded musical ensemble ??
>
> Maybe use a d'Arsonval amp meter for the job ??
>
> Maybe go shove you fat head down a dunny ??
>
>
>
> .............. Phil
>

So RUDE. Where in my post do I abuse you? I simply asked a question which
I was hoping you might be able to answer and hence elaborate on your
original response. So why have you suddenly attacked me? Does having an
opinion different to that of yourself constitute some form of abuse?

One might have thought that 'rec.audio.pro' might imply a news group where
one might seek professional advice and read professional comment. Gauging
by your hostile and abusive response, Phil Allison, you are neither a
professional in the audio field or conduct yourself in such a manner as one
might expect from a professional person or someone who takes a professional
approach to their work.

Does anyone else care to answer the questions I have directed to Phil
Allison, or is this a news group set aside for the people who can't get a
job in the pro audio world?

Dean
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:30:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <41da7050$0$31836$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au> deanus4u@_spamless_hotmail.com writes:

> So RUDE. Where in my post do I abuse you? I simply asked a question which
> I was hoping you might be able to answer and hence elaborate on your
> original response. So why have you suddenly attacked me?

It's what Phil does. Ignore him or not. Your choice. But he won't go
away.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:38:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Larry Pohjola"
>
> FYI - the project is a comparative analysis between the theoretical
> "sruti"-based intonation of North-Indian classical music, and the
> actual recorded performance of a soloist.


** The fact it was a soloist was important info that you omitted.

Now, could we beg to know if it is single notes or chords ??

I realise that simply naming the instrument is out of the question - it
being national secret and all that.




............... Phil
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:08:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

No secret - I just saw no point on cluttering the airwaves with
unnecessary information. Soloist is playing thumris (that's the style
of piece) on a sarod (that;s the instrument. All N-Indian classical
music is rag-based - no chords per se, only a linear improvisation
around specific scale formulae.

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:38:27 +1100, "Phil Allison"
<philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>
>"Larry Pohjola"
>>
>> FYI - the project is a comparative analysis between the theoretical
>> "sruti"-based intonation of North-Indian classical music, and the
>> actual recorded performance of a soloist.
>
>
>** The fact it was a soloist was important info that you omitted.
>
>Now, could we beg to know if it is single notes or chords ??
>
>I realise that simply naming the instrument is out of the question - it
>being national secret and all that.
>
>
>
>
>.............. Phil
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:36:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:znr1104846121k@trad...
>
> In article <41da7050$0$31836$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>
deanus4u@_spamless_hotmail.com writes:
>
> > So RUDE. Where in my post do I abuse you? I simply asked a question
which
> > I was hoping you might be able to answer and hence elaborate on your
> > original response. So why have you suddenly attacked me?
>
> It's what Phil does. Ignore him or not. Your choice. But he won't go
> away.
>
>
> --
> I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
> However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
> lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
> you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
> and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo

Mike,

I kind of gathered that might have been the case. Reading through a few of
his other posts both in this NG and quite a few others confirms that. A
Google groups search reveals over 100,000 + results on Phil Allison. It's
hard to read a post by him that doesn't contain a gluttony of superlatives.

Dean
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 3:48:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Larry Pohjola" = now transmogrifying into a top poster
>
> No secret - I just saw no point on cluttering the airwaves with
> unnecessary information.


** Let those attempting to answer your question decide what is necessary
and unnecessary.

What instrument it is and the nature of the playing are crucial to choosing
a method of pitch analysis.



................ Phil



> Soloist is playing thumris (that's the style
> of piece) on a sarod (that;s the instrument. All N-Indian classical
> music is rag-based - no chords per se, only a linear improvisation
> around specific scale formulae.
>
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:38:27 +1100, "Phil Allison"
> <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Larry Pohjola"
>>>
>>> FYI - the project is a comparative analysis between the theoretical
>>> "sruti"-based intonation of North-Indian classical music, and the
>>> actual recorded performance of a soloist.
>>
>>
>>** The fact it was a soloist was important info that you omitted.
>>
>>Now, could we beg to know if it is single notes or chords ??
>>
>>I realise that simply naming the instrument is out of the question - it
>>being national secret and all that.
>>
>>
>>.............. Phil
>>>>
>
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 3:48:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <343jmsF43u6ipU1@individual.net> philallison@tpg.com.au writes:

> ** Let those attempting to answer your question decide what is necessary
> and unnecessary.

Often we don't have enough information. That's why we ask for more.

> What instrument it is and the nature of the playing are crucial to choosing
> a method of pitch analysis.

So what's your recommendation, and would it be different if it was a
violin?



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:58:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Dean Usher"


** Answer this Dean Usher:

You have not posted anything on usenet in well over three years until now.

Using your new hotmail addy -


1. Your *first ever* post on aus.hi-fi was two days ago, to me and very
smartarse.


2. Your *first ever* post here was on the same day, to me and also
smartarse.


You have ignored all other posters.

That is no accidental occurrence.

Who put you up to this ??




.............. Phil
January 8, 2005 1:01:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Checking to see what shows up
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:34:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Phil Allison" <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:343rapF44fpe6U1@individual.net...
>
> "Dean Usher"
>
>
> ** Answer this Dean Usher:
>
> You have not posted anything on usenet in well over three years until now.
>
> Using your new hotmail addy -
>
>
> 1. Your *first ever* post on aus.hi-fi was two days ago, to me and very
> smartarse.
>
>
> 2. Your *first ever* post here was on the same day, to me and also
> smartarse.
>
>
> You have ignored all other posters.
>
> That is no accidental occurrence.
>
> Who put you up to this ??
>
>
>
>
> ............. Phil
>
>

Who the hell do you think you are Phil Allison? The news group police?
I have the right to post on this news group as much as anyone else. The big
difference is
I don't find it necessary to abuse everyone, unlike you who seems to do so
on a regular basis.

Dean
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:09:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> "Dean Usher"
> "Phil Allison"
>>
>> ** Answer this Dean Usher:
>>
>> You have not posted anything on usenet in well over three years until
>> now.
>>
>> Using your new hotmail addy -
>>
>>
>> 1. Your *first ever* post on aus.hi-fi was two days ago, to me and very
>> smartarse.
>>
>>
>> 2. Your *first ever* post here was on the same day, to me and also
>> smartarse.
>>
>>
>> You have ignored all other posters.
>>
>> That is no accidental occurrence.
>>
>> Who put you up to this ??
>>
>>
>
> Who the hell do you think you are Phil Allison?
> The news group police?


** That is a question YOU need to answer.

You specifically targeted me as you were directed by someone to do.


> I have the right to post on this news group as much as anyone else.


** But no right to target someone with abuse me at another's direction.


> The big difference is I don't find it necessary to abuse everyone,


** Right - like a hit man only shoots the person he is paid to.





.............. Phil
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:09:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:48:14 +1100, "Phil Allison"
<philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>
>"Larry Pohjola" = now transmogrifying into a top poster
>>
>> No secret - I just saw no point on cluttering the airwaves with
>> unnecessary information.
>
>
>** Let those attempting to answer your question decide what is necessary
>and unnecessary.
>
> What instrument it is and the nature of the playing are crucial to choosing
>a method of pitch analysis.
>
>
>
>............... Phil

Seeing as how you are not answering his question, Phil, you don't get
to decide. You're not the usenet police, you're more like the security
guy at the mall.

--------------------------------

Here's an answer -

Autotune in graphical mode will give excellent visual results for not
only pitch, put factors such as vibrato and pitch trajectory, all of
which vary from culture to culture.

It won't work on polyphonic music.

--------------------------------




How's your difference tone theory coming, cramolin boy?


Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:25:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:42:50 +1100, "Phil Allison"
<philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>
>"Larry Pohjola"
>>I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
>> pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
>> project.
>> Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
>> portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
>> graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
>> location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
>> of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
>> music.
>> Any suggestions?
>
>
> ** Why not try low tech method ?
>
>Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
>match the pitch exactly.
>
>Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music shops.
>
>
>
>
>............ Phil
>
>
>

Try it sometime, Phil. It won't work because it's, um, a STUPID IDEA.
What would the experiment tell you? That indian tuning is non-Western?
That it would take forever?

Stop with the out-the-ass musical suggestions in RAP, Phil, you have
no experience in music other than esoteric elements of electrical
design.

----------------------------------------

There has been a lot of research in the area of tuning and the
difference in perceived scales ascending and descending, to touch on
one topic. Look up the work of Sundberg on vocal science (The Science
of the Singing Voice) and you'll find many parallels to instrumental
pitch motion, inflection and expression. All of these are universal
components of musical performance, either vocal or instrumental, and
will be readily seen graphically.

You need to see the change in pitch over time because, contrary to
common Nashville practice, perfect tuning is not perfectly acceptable.
This will be apparent when you take a line that sounds great and look
at the actual pitches only to discover that there is no stepwise
perfection in it.

You need to use software that tells pitch over time.


Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:42:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:37:03 +1100, "Phil Allison"
<philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>> "Seeing as how you are not answering his question, Phil,
>
>
> ** Wrong and irrelevant anyhow.
>

Answering a question is now irrelevant? Thanks for the heads-up. That
would explain your very presence on usenet.

For the life of me, I couldn't find an answer to his question. I saw
some conjecture from you about having yet another musician ape the
original performance and the measure the new musician with a "music
shop" tuner, but I really didn't find anything resembling a real-world
answer in your ass-hat drivel.

I was able to spot the exact post where you hijacked the thread, and
where you started the insults and snipping, but I couldn't find an
answer. I also found yet another reference to bestiality (something
you bring up often) but I couldn't find your answer.

But I'm sure it will involve a frequency shifter, somehow.

Keep posting, at least we'll know you're not breeding.





Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:04:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Phil Allison" <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:34e2tuF4b2l7uU1@individual.net...
>
> > "Dean Usher"
> > "Phil Allison"
> >>
> >> ** Answer this Dean Usher:
> >>
> >> You have not posted anything on usenet in well over three years until
> >> now.
> >>
> >> Using your new hotmail addy -
> >>
> >>
> >> 1. Your *first ever* post on aus.hi-fi was two days ago, to me and
very
> >> smartarse.
> >>
> >>
> >> 2. Your *first ever* post here was on the same day, to me and also
> >> smartarse.
> >>
> >>
> >> You have ignored all other posters.
> >>
> >> That is no accidental occurrence.
> >>
> >> Who put you up to this ??
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Who the hell do you think you are Phil Allison?
> > The news group police?
>
>
> ** That is a question YOU need to answer.
>
> You specifically targeted me as you were directed by someone to do.
>
>
> > I have the right to post on this news group as much as anyone else.
>
>
> ** But no right to target someone with abuse me at another's direction.
>
>
> > The big difference is I don't find it necessary to abuse everyone,
>
>
> ** Right - like a hit man only shoots the person he is paid to.
>
>
>
>
>
> .............. Phil
>
>

Phil,

Let us get a few things sorted.

Firstly I didn't throw the first stone, you did with your rude and abusive
reply to my post where I simply asked you a few questions in the hope that
you would clarify what you had wrote earlier in the thread. Instead of
accepting that you may possess useful information to contribute to the
discussion, you immediately go on the offensive by wrongfully assuming that
if anyone dares to question anything you write or seeks further information
that they are mounting a conspiracy against you.

Secondly I speak for myself. Unlike some people, I'm nobody's sock puppet.

If you think I'm acting on behalf of some other person you must be a bit
paranoid or something.

Dean
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:58:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

x-no archive: yes

Kurt Riemann <> wrote:

> Be consistent. It will help with your Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

No, no, no - if he'd _shave regularly_, now that'd help with his IBS. I
figure the stubble's raising hell with his colon.

--
ha
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:58:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

x-no archive: yes

Kurt Riemann <> wrote:

> You mean "snipped?" Is the spittle clogging your keyboard?

Close. He types by pressing his nose against the inside of his navel and
bumping the keys with the stubby protuberance. It's a hit or miss
proposition.

--
ha
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:58:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 04:58:44 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>x-no archive: yes
>
>Kurt Riemann <> wrote:
>
>> You mean "snipped?" Is the spittle clogging your keyboard?
>
>Close. He types by pressing his nose against the inside of his navel and
>bumping the keys with the stubby protuberance. It's a hit or miss
>proposition.

Sadly, I can picture that.




Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<Kurt Riemann = STD suffering Moose Shagger
"Phil Allison"

>>
>>"Larry Pohjola"
>>>I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
>>> pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
>>> project.
>>> Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
>>> portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
>>> graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
>>> location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
>>> of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
>>> music.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>>
>> ** Why not try low tech method ?
>>
>>Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
>>match the pitch exactly.
>>
>>Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music shops.
>>
>>
>>
>
> Try it sometime, Phil. It won't work because it's, um, a STUPID IDEA.
> What would the experiment tell you? That indian tuning is non-Western?


** Hey Moose Shagger - you did not read the thread!!!


" ** The OP's surname and the nature of his project suggests that he just
*might* know musicians of the needed persuasion - or indeed be one
himself. "




............. Phil
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:43:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:43:58 +1100, "Phil Allison"
<philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>
><Kurt Riemann = STD suffering Moose Shagger
> "Phil Allison"
>
>>>
>>>"Larry Pohjola"
>>>>I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
>>>> pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
>>>> project.
>>>> Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
>>>> portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
>>>> graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
>>>> location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
>>>> of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
>>>> music.
>>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>>
>>> ** Why not try low tech method ?
>>>
>>>Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
>>>match the pitch exactly.
>>>
>>>Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music shops.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Try it sometime, Phil. It won't work because it's, um, a STUPID IDEA.
>> What would the experiment tell you? That indian tuning is non-Western?
>
>
>** Hey Moose Shagger - you did not read the thread!!!
>
>
> " ** The OP's surname and the nature of his project suggests that he just
>*might* know musicians of the needed persuasion - or indeed be one
>himself. "

Which is why I mentioned "Indian tuning."

I said nothing about him not being able to perform the Stupid
Experiment. I said that you were an idiot. Read my other posts,
Filbert. It will explain very clearly why your idea was and remains a
STUPID IDEA.

It has a lot to do with the fact that you, Phil Allison, are not a
musician in the first place, and therefore have no basis for
conjecture in the area of musical performance.

He said "Performance Pitch" which to anyone with any experience would
understand to mean notes in complete relation to phrases. Your answer
was like recommending that someone studying accents buy children's
wooden letter blocks and look at the pretty words.

I'm curious if you have ever tried your low tech method to decipher a
16th note run and how you would be able to hear the beats in the third
note of the series if the note was 1 cent off? Just curious. Not that
this part of my post will make it into your reply or anything . . .

So to answer your question -

>>> ** Why not try low tech method ?

Here is why not try low tech method.. . . It's a waste of time and
will reveal NOTHING that the poster needs to know.





Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:44:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

x-no archive: yes

Kurt Riemann <> wrote:

> I said nothing about him not being able to perform the Stupid
> Experiment. I said that you were an idiot. Read my other posts,
> Filbert. It will explain very clearly why your idea was and remains a
> STUPID IDEA.

> It has a lot to do with the fact that you, Phil Allison, are not a
> musician in the first place, and therefore have no basis for
> conjecture in the area of musical performance.

Man, I admire your persistence and your style; but your task seems
somewhat like trying to blow smoke down a chimney.

--
ha
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:44:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 04:58:42 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>Man, I admire your persistence and your style; but your task seems
>somewhat like trying to blow smoke down a chimney.

Aw shucks. It's not ALL hard work. It can actually be a lot of fun
being Phil's RAP penpal..

You should read our Frequency Shifter exchange from October. He became
a complete sputtering mess, utterly unable do argue any point
whatsoever.

---------------------------------------------------------------

But I'm not doing it for myself.

Every time Phil goes unchallenged, a puppy dies.

We have to defend the puppies.





Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 5:35:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

x-no archive: yes

Kurt Riemann <> wrote:

> You should read our Frequency Shifter exchange from October.

I did read some of that mess; fascinating in a macbre sort of way.

> He became a complete sputtering mess, utterly unable do argue any point
> whatsoever.

No surprise there.

> But I'm not doing it for myself.

> Every time Phil goes unchallenged, a puppy dies.

> We have to defend the puppies.

Trying to keep the forum from going to the dogs, eh?

--
ha
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:53:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<Kurt Riemann> wrote in message
news:aig6u0ho32eb57l0gvmc6ipvpsf54ip0mf@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:43:58 +1100, "Phil Allison"
> <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> >
> ><Kurt Riemann = STD suffering Moose Shagger
> > "Phil Allison"
> >
> >>>
> >>>"Larry Pohjola"
> >>>>I am looking for decent (aka accurate)
> >>>> pitch-recognition/frequency-recognition software for a research
> >>>> project.
> >>>> Don't need to alter or correct pitches, just an accurate
> >>>> portrayal/record of the pitch frequencies, preferably numerical., but
> >>>> graphic may be workable. Original source is an old (1960's) live
> >>>> location tape. (no sticky-shed - hooray!) It's a research comparison
> >>>> of theoretical and actual performance pitch in North Indian classical
> >>>> music.
> >>>> Any suggestions?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> ** Why not try low tech method ?
> >>>
> >>>Get a musician to play along with the tape and tune their instrument to
> >>>match the pitch exactly.
> >>>
> >>>Then measure their instrument with a tuning meter as sold in music
shops.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >> Try it sometime, Phil. It won't work because it's, um, a STUPID IDEA.
> >> What would the experiment tell you? That indian tuning is non-Western?
> >
> >
> >** Hey Moose Shagger - you did not read the thread!!!
> >
> >
> > " ** The OP's surname and the nature of his project suggests that he
just
> >*might* know musicians of the needed persuasion - or indeed be one
> >himself. "
>
> Which is why I mentioned "Indian tuning."
>
> I said nothing about him not being able to perform the Stupid
> Experiment. I said that you were an idiot. Read my other posts,
> Filbert. It will explain very clearly why your idea was and remains a
> STUPID IDEA.
>
> It has a lot to do with the fact that you, Phil Allison, are not a
> musician in the first place, and therefore have no basis for
> conjecture in the area of musical performance.
>
> He said "Performance Pitch" which to anyone with any experience would
> understand to mean notes in complete relation to phrases. Your answer
> was like recommending that someone studying accents buy children's
> wooden letter blocks and look at the pretty words.
>
> I'm curious if you have ever tried your low tech method to decipher a
> 16th note run and how you would be able to hear the beats in the third
> note of the series if the note was 1 cent off? Just curious. Not that
> this part of my post will make it into your reply or anything . . .
>
> So to answer your question -
>
> >>> ** Why not try low tech method ?

Indeed, Phil would be keen to impliment the low tech method. From reading
posts on aus.hi-fi and aus.electronics I gather Phil is a 'would be if only
he could be' toaster tech who fixes up or rather more correctly stuffs up
people's small kitchen applicances. One gets the impression he is stretched
to his technical limit diagnosing an open circuit in a power cord using a
continuity buzzer, let alone anything more complicated.

Phil also claims to be some sort of self proclaimed audio guru and hi-fi
expert. Apparently his claim to fame is he designed a small test audio
oscillator which is marketed as a kiddy DIY assembly kit for all of AUD
$22.95, now discounted to AUD $18.00 to get rid of them.
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K254...

Phil would lead you to believe it's a bonafide piece of test equipment for
hi-fi, but with the distortion at 0.16% it hardly specs past a junior high
school kid science project.


>
> Here is why not try low tech method.. . . It's a waste of time and
> will reveal NOTHING that the poster needs to know.

Exactly the impression I got when I asked the stupid fool a few simple
questions earlier in the thread. Instead of getting any answer I got a pile
of sarcastic questions and a torrent of abuse.

>
>
>
>
>
> Kurt Riemann
>

Beats me why you guys put up with him.

Dean
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:53:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dean Usher wrote:



> Beats me why you guys put up with him.



we wuz jest a-waitin' fer ya ta come along an' kick 'im out!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:53:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Phil Allison wrote:



> http://www.deanusher.com/


Hey, I need my web site spruced up! Thanks for the link!
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:20:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<Kurt Riemann> wrote in message
news:nfe6u05f9co3sjskv71iuh5aqa5apsucg2@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:37:03 +1100, "Phil Allison"
> <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> >> "Seeing as how you are not answering his question, Phil,
> >
> >
> > ** Wrong and irrelevant anyhow.
> >
>
> Answering a question is now irrelevant? Thanks for the heads-up. That
> would explain your very presence on usenet.
>
> For the life of me, I couldn't find an answer to his question. I saw
> some conjecture from you about having yet another musician ape the
> original performance and the measure the new musician with a "music
> shop" tuner, but I really didn't find anything resembling a real-world
> answer in your ass-hat drivel.
>
> I was able to spot the exact post where you hijacked the thread, and
> where you started the insults and snipping, but I couldn't find an
> answer. I also found yet another reference to bestiality (something
> you bring up often) but I couldn't find your answer.
>
> But I'm sure it will involve a frequency shifter, somehow.
>
> Keep posting, at least we'll know you're not breeding.

Apparently there is no chance of that happenning. All the guys and gals at
aus.hi-fi, aus.electronics and aus.legal are convinced beyond any reasonable
doubt that Phil is allegedly having regular sexual relations with his blow
up doll. Some even refer to the said object as his 'Peter Walker' blow up
doll which brings a whole new perspective to the rumour.

news:33p0joF40apifU1@individual.net...

news:n4hhx2kjy5cp6u7.020120051605@127.0.0.1...

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=%22Phil+Allison%22...

>
>
>
>
>
> Kurt Riemann

Dean
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:41:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<Kurt Riemann> = anencephalic Moose Shagger from Alaska



His parents are so proud he is not a arse bandit like his brother.





.............. Phil
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:27:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:35:46 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:





>Trying to keep the forum from going to the dogs, eh?

Too late. There's always been too much bitching in here.




Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:07:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"S O'Neill"
> Phil Allison wrote:
>
>
>
>> http://www.deanusher.com/
>
>
> Hey, I need my web site spruced up! Thanks for the link!



** Lots a luck - dickhead.



.............. Phil
!