CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I have a Compaq Presario 5330US with a 250w PSU. I've recently bought a 9500 Pro graphics card and a Vantec 420w PSU because the 9500 Pro recommends at least a 300w PSU.
The Vantec PSU arrived today and I installed it but the computer wouldn't power on.
Could this be because the old PSU had no on/off switch? It just powered on from the button on the front of the case. Are there jumpers that need to be switched? If thats the case I'm kinda screwed because Compaq apparently doesn't like giving out documentation on thier motherboards.
Also there is a switch on the Vantec for 110v/220v, which setting should that be on ?(I'm in the US if that makes any difference)
Finally, is there any way I could find out if the Vantec is defective?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
You live in the US yet you dont know if you use 110V or 230V power? *shakes head sadly*

110V man!!!
If you try 230V, kiss your PSU and probably mobtherboard nitenite!.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

svol

Champion
It could be that the PSU doesn't work because Compaq didn't use an standard ATX PSU and connector for their boards.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ATX power supplies don't have power switches, they are switched through the motherboard. I've seen Compaq power supplies use an extra connection for this.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ATX power supplies don't have power switches, they are switched through the motherboard. I've seen Compaq power supplies use an extra connection to the power supply for this. In other words, I've seen Compaq use non-standard wiring. A standard ATX power supply might be capable of such modifications that it would work on a Compaq, but I'm not the person to tell you how.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's sad how many first time builders throw the master switch and when nothing happens RMA the motherboard! Especially considering that their mistakes cost us all, with higher prices!

svol

Champion
IMO the mobo companies should do something against that... or people like that shouldn't be allowed to built their own PC. Jeez... do they think they can't make errors when they're assembling the PC or something?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've probably talked to at least 20 people in here who had already RMA'd the board before checking to see if the power button was properly connected, the master power switch was on, and the board was mounted properly. Ah, at least some companies charge restocking fees when the board passes a test.