Your question

Ethernet Port To Wireless Access Point

Tags:
  • Wireless Access
  • Ethernet Card
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 15, 2012 7:11:17 AM

Can anybody tell me what the item is I am looking for. It creates wireless access for multiple users, it has a ethernet port (not an ethernet cable permanently attached to it) on it to link it to your network. It has a mini usb port (or like to allow usb canle to be attached to it to power it. Can anyone recommend a good one to buy for about £20. It supports wep encryption and it can be hidden

More about : ethernet port wireless access point

December 15, 2012 8:01:04 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

I'm not aware of such a product that can receive and transmit wirelessly using only USB power of only 500mA - you would have to have an ethernet connection to receive from the MODEM or main router and even then, transmitting would require mains electricity as far as I know.

December 15, 2012 10:38:23 AM

An old friend had one, I remember it was plugged in to a usb port or could be mains powered, and it acted as an access point, and used an ethernet cable from a router or a hub...it was about the same size as a 3g wifi dongle. We haven't seen each other for over a year and lost touch since he went abroad, so I can't get in touch with him. I have searched ebay and have come up with this item

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=33...

which looks nothing like the one he had. Or there is this item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150Mbps-USB-Mini-Wifi-Wired-W...
Related resources
December 16, 2012 4:53:28 AM

Well that first one seems to do what you so long as what you want is to share a mobile phone's 3G connection. I assume you have to use USB tethering to connect the laptop before sharing with others.
December 16, 2012 6:08:44 AM

No mobile phone network involved......just using it to make a port on a router/switch into a wireless access point around a small office style network, and to only allow users with preshared key to access network via wifi on their mobile phone wifi connection and laptop connections.
!