Best settings for E3000 & DPC3825 modem in bridged mode.

CaptainBlueJeans

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Looking for advice for optimal configuration settings using Linksys E3000 and DPC3825. Will be manually configuring E3000 to port PS3, WoW, Ipod, etc and also set & tweak other options. Or at least give it a valiant effort. Have been reading and soaking up alot of info about it since I've never done this before. I didn't understanding most of these terms two weeks ago. Always did Easy Key setups. So please excuse any ignorance in my questions, thanks. Does anyone have a step by step (well, not literally..but I am pretty new to this) configuration using DPC3825 in bridge mode that has was worked great for them? And would be kind enough to share the details? About 10 PC's and devices will be connectecd. I want to put my movie streaming and gaming stuff on 5Ghz N and the rest on the 2.4Ghz mixed mode.
I have a few questions about stuff I've heard conflicting answers to as well. Thing is I'm not looking to just get numbers I need and blindly put them in. I wanna know why & the meaning of it. I'll tell ya, it's been wild the last few weeks thinking of the late nights. I'll start reading about one thing and come across more stuff I don't know and head off in that direction and end up reading like 5-8 hours some nights. But it's fun and I seem to have a thirst for knowledge of computers/tech/networking. This is my first post in any blog and spur of moment, so I don't know any forum rules. If I'm breaking one by rambling on cuz of wanting to share my enthusiasm, I apologize. On to the other questions:

1. I read someone say a dual simultaneous band router won''t see the benefit of the 5Ghz band cuz the DPC3825 is only a 2.4Ghz modem. Huh? Any truth to that? Do they even make a dual band modem? It threw me for a loop.

2. Should I get two IP addresses assigned to the modem? I haven't researched that but it seems reasonable it could behoove me to have another one when configuring.

3. Lastly, what firewall to leave on, router or modem? Which ones are best to disable? I read an 'expert' say to leave the modem firewall on and disable all others including McAfee or the such on your devices.

4. Best way to take care of the problem many people seem to have of the 5Ghz SSID not showing up on the radar, in case I experience the same.

I have to get this done this weekend. Thank you to anyone who will take some time to pay some of their knowledge forward.

CaptainBlueJeans

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

I just noticed I didn't end my thread topic header with a question mark. I apologize to anyone taking a look at my message thinking I might have the answers they were looking for.