Networking issues

thebobby1979

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hi i am wondering if someone can answer this problem you see i get an ip address for a laptop sub-net and gateway address but when i try to access the internet i can't then when i am on my network it just want connect and it's saying unidentified network and i connected to my router wirelessly and i still can't connect but the strangest thing happened at school is that it connected to my schools network without any problems but when i try to connect it at home it doesn't,t work could someone tell me another way of fixing this wireless problem thank you?

Are you putting in the password for your home network ? If your netweork at home is saying unidentified network then your router is not broadcasting it's SSID. You need to go into your routers settings and enable the option to broadcast the routers SSID.

thebobby1979

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I have checked that settings and it is broadcasting the ssid could it be the incription on the wireless signal. do you have any other ideas is what to do to fix this problem any other setting that might need to be adjusted?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
When you connect via cable does it work? If there is an issue with the wireless signal being broadcasted by the router then connecting via cable should work fine!
If you connect via cable and you have the same issue then there is something wrong with your router configuration. In this case you will need to do a factory reset and re-configure the router. Doing so is not a difficult task but if it is not something you are capable of you can call your ISP for assistance, they will help you!

When you connect to your schools wireless are you entering a wireless password ? You stated that when you went into the routers settings that it was broadcasting it's SSID and yet you can't see the router and it says unidentified network which means that the router is not actually broadcasting the SSID. Since you have a laptop and it's easily moved around I would connect to the router with a cat 6 cable and see what happens with that connection.
Was your laptop ever run with the homegroup wireless network setup ? Did you ever join the homegroup that is in your home ?