Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
I'm a big time backup fan :-D No more data loss for me. If the heads crash on one of my harddrives, or lightning fries my computer, I'll be protected.

Anyhow, getting to my question.

Is it safe to allow programs to run in the background, and or actively use your computer (like go on the internet, or even play a game) while writing to an RW disc using packet writing software?

I personally use Nero's InCD program. I know if you are writing on a regular CD-R disc, the laser is supposed to remain in contact with disc at all times, otherwise you get a broken CD/bad burn. Even with buffer underrun protection, that cache will eventually empty out and if you harddrive is still busy, that would seem to me you'd be out of luck (and most buffer underrun caches are 2 to 8MB, with write speeds over 5MB per second, that would mean the cache could empty within 2 seconds)

However, is it different with RW discs and packet writing? That the laser doesn't need to remain in constant contact? Also, if you were doing something really CPU intensive like a game, could that possibly cause data corruption during the writing process?

I would appreciate any help, as Nero tech support will only be as specific as to tell me, don't have programs running in the background during the formatting process (they won't say anything about regular writing on an InCD disc that has already been mounted).

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

I don't take any chances while I'm burning my backup disks, but I don't mess with the RW disks, even though I have quite a few of them, it just takes too long, with the formatting first, and all that time consuming lower burn rate, with such good 50 pack deals on CDR disks out there, and the burn rate much higher, its just not worth it to me, time wise, to mess with the RW function.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you value your data don't use packet writing, especially not for sequential backups. Use the same disc enough times and it will eventually be corrupted.

Use CDRs. They are dependable, faster, and should last longer. Plus they don't accidentally get overwritten.

Just write your backups on CDR and store them away. You'll always have them. Peace of mind. One person's suggestion.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
The problem is, everytime I need to make an update, I have to make changes. Once you've used a CD-R up to it's maximum capacity, you can't edit it at all. So what do I do, go out every month or so and buy a spindle of 100 CD-Rs, 700MB? I mean in my personal opinion, I am not worried as much about the waste of money, as I am the waste of plastic and metal. I mean, think about it. Things like 3D Studio Max are stored on CDs. This program can go for $5,000 People treat CDs like they have no value at all. The earth is falling apart due to pollution and CD-Rs can't be recycled. Doesn't it seem like a waste of resources?

So if I am working on a text document, say writing a big long paged thing on my PC, and every night before I go to bed, after being exhausted from all of the typing, I want to back up my work - I mean that would be making an update to a CD-R everyday. They get burned up so fast, then wind up in the trash can because the info is outdated.

And that's the thing, I am not working on little .dat file or anything. When you have proggies that are easily 50MB, that can fill up a 700MB CD awfully fast.

Take this example. Let's say I go to Nvidia's website and download the Detonator 40's for my video card. Next week I go back and they have a new version out, it has went from 41.09 to 42.01 So I have to burn this in new. Those driver packs are like 15MB a piece. Plus using multi session and tracks on CD-Rs makes things hard to keep track of, even if I label them by date.

I have heard people in the past say RW disc are not as reliable as CD-Rs. Ah poohy, what am I to do???..... :-(

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
try a flash card, the largest comes at 1Gig. no hard drive crash, no need to format like a cdrw, pretty fast, can write and rewrite it as much as you want, great for transporting/temp-storing files, no scratches, not creating more garbage, do I have to keep listing? :D

yeah it cost a little, but might worth it for some

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I see your point. I didn't realize you would have enough data that you would use 100 CDRs every one or two months. That would be a lot of discs.

I hope you rotate your CDRWs often enough and have enough rotations. Believe me. One day, one will go bad and I hope it's not critical when it happens.

I suggest a compromise. Backup on CDRWs most of the time but backup to CDR occasionally. Also, each time you backup to CDRW do it at least twice, to two different CDRWs (at least two). This will give you at least one reserve copy, just in case the primary does get corrupted you'll still have the most recent backup. Rotate often.

Anyway, good news for the future. Mt Rainier is coming and should be more reliable than software-only packet writing.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>