EQ2 trial is now public

Just in case you didn't already know, the EQ2 trial that was previously
available only to Fileplanet paid subscribers (boo! hiss!) is now public.

Go to http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/eq2_trial/ to sign up and get
a download link.

In a novel turn, they have decided to make this trial content-limited
rather than time-limited - you can play for a full _year_ .. but only
the tutorial and the Island of Refuge (someone who plays the game want
to chime in and say how big that is?)

I guess that idea makes sense when your full product is 10 CDs. The
download for the trial is 1,755,840,312 bytes.

Cheers!
David...

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-18, David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
> Just in case you didn't already know, the EQ2 trial that was previously
> available only to Fileplanet paid subscribers (boo! hiss!) is now public.
>
> Go to http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/eq2_trial/ to sign up and get
> a download link.

How sad. Blizzard CAN'T support all their customers, and SOE
can't get enough.

This really isn't good at all.

"David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
> Just in case you didn't already know, the EQ2 trial that was previously available only to
> Fileplanet paid subscribers (boo! hiss!) is now public.
>
> Go to http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/eq2_trial/ to sign up and get a download link.
>
> In a novel turn, they have decided to make this trial content-limited rather than time-limited -
> you can play for a full _year_ .. but only the tutorial and the Island of Refuge (someone who
> plays the game want to chime in and say how big that is?)
>
> I guess that idea makes sense when your full product is 10 CDs. The download for the trial is
> 1,755,840,312 bytes.
>
> Cheers!
> David...

That's up to level 6, plus I think you can get +200% xp towards the next levels. The IoR is pretty
content rich, and doesn't really give the player a fair feel for the game which starts to kick in at
upper teens+

"James_" <no@spam.com> once tried to test me with:

> "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
>> Just in case you didn't already know, the EQ2 trial that was
>> previously available only to Fileplanet paid subscribers (boo! hiss!)
>> is now public.
>>
>> Go to http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/eq2_trial/ to sign up and
>> get a download link.
>>
>> In a novel turn, they have decided to make this trial content-limited
>> rather than time-limited - you can play for a full _year_ .. but only
>> the tutorial and the Island of Refuge (someone who plays the game
>> want to chime in and say how big that is?)
>>
>> I guess that idea makes sense when your full product is 10 CDs. The
>> download for the trial is 1,755,840,312 bytes.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> David...
>
> That's up to level 6, plus I think you can get +200% xp towards the
> next levels. The IoR is pretty content rich, and doesn't really give
> the player a fair feel for the game which starts to kick in at upper
> teens+

EVERY ONE of my friends who started EQ2 quit once they hit their high teens
or early twenties. EVERY ONE.

(ok so it's only 5 people, but still. :))

--

Knight37

shadows wrote:
> On 2005-02-18, David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
>
>>Just in case you didn't already know, the EQ2 trial that was previously
>>available only to Fileplanet paid subscribers (boo! hiss!) is now public.
>
> How sad. Blizzard CAN'T support all their customers, and SOE
> can't get enough.
>
> This really isn't good at all.

You make it sound like the fact that SOE is looking for more customers
means that they're a dismal failure, rather than merely meaning that
they're in the same situation as 99.9% of all businesses in the world.

Anyway, the only reason I went with WoW over EQ2 was that I got a chance
to try it out during the Open Beta and found it enjoyable. I'll
certainly try out this EQ2 "Trial of the Isle" and see if it too is
enjoyable.

Cheers!
David...

James_ wrote:
> "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
>> In a novel turn, they have decided to make this trial
>> content-limited rather than time-limited - you can play for a full
>> _year_ .. but only the tutorial and the Island of Refuge (someone
>> who plays the game want to chime in and say how big that is?)
>
> That's up to level 6, plus I think you can get +200% xp towards the
> next levels. The IoR is pretty content rich, and doesn't really give
> the player a fair feel for the game which starts to kick in at upper
> teens+

Roughly how long would you guess it would take a first-timer to play
through the Isle?

Cheers!
David...

David Carson wrote:
> Roughly how long would you guess it would take a first-timer to play
> through the Isle?
>
> Cheers!
> David...

To do *everything*, it would probably take better than 12 hours starting
green for the first character type, assuming you had some decent grouping
help. And then you'd have to add time to that for other characters to get
all the class-specific content. I know there's stuff there I never saw and
probably had more than 24 combined hours on the Isle with 3-4 classes.

--
chainbreaker

chainbreaker wrote:
> David Carson wrote:
>>Roughly how long would you guess it would take a first-timer to play
>>through the Isle?
>
> To do *everything*, it would probably take better than 12 hours starting
> green for the first character type, assuming you had some decent grouping
> help. And then you'd have to add time to that for other characters to get
> all the class-specific content. I know there's stuff there I never saw and
> probably had more than 24 combined hours on the Isle with 3-4 classes.

Cool, thanks. My download finished, now I need to find a gap in my busy
WoW schedule to check it out. Lucky I have a year. :)

Cheers!
David...

In article <4216574c$0$459$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, David Carson wrote:
> In a novel turn, they have decided to make this trial content-limited
> rather than time-limited - you can play for a full _year_ .. but only the
> tutorial and the Island of Refuge (someone who plays the game want to
> chime in and say how big that is?)

The Isle of Refuge is small...but it is the best small area I've seen in any
MMORPG. It will only take a few hours to complete if you do everything, and
a few minutes if you are in a hurry.

A better content-limited trial would have been tutorial + Isle + the
outskirts of Freeport and Qeynos. Basically let trial users go through to
the completion of their citizenship quest, and then they would have to buy
the game to enter the city itself and progress past level 7 (or whatever the
cutoff is for non-citizens).

--
--Tim Smith