Never played On-Line RPG's

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 18, 2005 5:23:45 PM

Thought I might give it a try. While I await Oblivion. 8^)

Morrowind has been my staple game for the past 2 years.

At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
hassle.

Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?

Many thanks for any and all assist.
drybones

More about : played line rpg

February 19, 2005 1:28:00 AM

On 2005-02-18, drybones <drybones@nospam.net> wrote:

> At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
> hassle.
>
> Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?

World of Warcraft is quite soloable but you do need some twitch
skills to pull the right moves at the right time for most
classes.

Bear in mind it helps to join a good guild. Usually the good ones
don't recruit publically. They're established.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:02:05 AM

"drybones" <drybones@nospam.net> wrote in news:K%tRd.975$TU4.680
@fe06.lga:

> At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
> hassle.
>
> Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?

Im closer to you than I am to many others here (comin up on 50) and I was
enjoying Star Wars galaxies for awhile. You can take part in the economy
of the world as a crafter, or a mining, or running an Inn. Leave the
harder adventuring stuff to the ones that want it letting them sell the
stuff to you.

Im also enjoying Ultima Online for the second time. But Id grab a second
hand copy and NOT go to the UO servers. They had a good thing but when it
started to slide they just piled on the "gifts" to the players totally
ruining any real-world feel it had. Instead check out the hundreds of
privately run servers. They all have different feels but you can usually
find one that feels just like the virtual world you always wanted to move
into. :)

You can really carve a piece out for yourself. I dont know why the movie
'Matrix' tried to say that humans were forced into the virtual world. The
more they get it right, the more I think it will be a voluntary move.

Gandalf Parker
-- HURRY UP! I know technology is moving fast but I refuse
to check into an old folks home that doesnt have virtual world
interfacing!
February 19, 2005 2:02:06 AM

>You can really carve a piece out for yourself. I dont know why the movie
>'Matrix' tried to say that humans were forced into the virtual world. The
>more they get it right, the more I think it will be a voluntary move.

Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial world,
utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense your body has,
and if this world were like some fantasy, would you take it?

Most people would say yes.

C//
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:06:34 AM

Courageous wrote:

>>You can really carve a piece out for yourself. I dont know why the movie
>>'Matrix' tried to say that humans were forced into the virtual world. The
>>more they get it right, the more I think it will be a voluntary move.
>

> Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial world,
> utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense your body has,
> and if this world were like some fantasy, would you take it?
>
> Most people would say yes.

I think the real question would be: "What's the difference?"
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:50:31 AM

Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in

>>You can really carve a piece out for yourself. I dont know why the
>>movie 'Matrix' tried to say that humans were forced into the virtual
>>world. The more they get it right, the more I think it will be a
>>voluntary move.
>
> Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial
> world, utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense your
> body has, and if this world were like some fantasy, would you take it?
>
> Most people would say yes.

Maybe not when they are young. Or at least they shouldnt :)
But the closer they get to a nursing home the more they wish technology
would perfect jacking-in

I dont want the Happy Clouds Nursing Home. I want Diablo VII

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:10:23 AM

Dark Age of Camelot is about as non-twitch as its ilk is (of WoW, EQ2, etc).

Avoid City of Heroes. It's a 3rd person action game more than an RPG.

Jonah Falcon

"drybones" <drybones@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Thought I might give it a try. While I await Oblivion. 8^)
>
> Morrowind has been my staple game for the past 2 years.
>
> At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
> hassle.
>
> Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?
>
> Many thanks for any and all assist.
> drybones

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:46:21 AM

"drybones" <drybones@nospam.net> once tried to test me with:

> Thought I might give it a try. While I await Oblivion. 8^)
>
> Morrowind has been my staple game for the past 2 years.
>
> At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
> hassle.

Almost all the MMOG's that I've played require you to press buttons at
certain timed intervals to do things. It's not hard but you do need to be
able to press a key when an indicator on screen warns you it's ready, to be
effective.

> Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?

World of Warcraft can be soloed but it's also a lot of fun in groups. To
get some of the better gear and some of the more interesting quests you
need to group. But you can level without grouping just fine.

--

Knight37

February 19, 2005 11:48:40 AM

>> Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial
>> world, utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense your
>> body has, and if this world were like some fantasy, would you take it?
>
>> Most people would say yes.
>
>Maybe not when they are young.

Lemme see. You're young and lusty, and someone's promising you
the time of your life in bed with jessica and ashley simpson. At
the same time. Check. Some young kid's gonna say no to that?

HA.

C//
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:49:31 AM

>I think the real question would be: "What's the difference?"

A solipsist would say "none". Such a reality /is/ a reality.

C//
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:39:16 PM

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> "drybones" <drybones@nospam.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Thought I might give it a try. While I await Oblivion. 8^)
>>
>> Morrowind has been my staple game for the past 2 years.
>>
>> At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
>> hassle.
>
> Almost all the MMOG's that I've played require you to press buttons at
> certain timed intervals to do things. It's not hard but you do need to be
> able to press a key when an indicator on screen warns you it's ready, to
> be
> effective.
>
>> Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?
>
> World of Warcraft can be soloed but it's also a lot of fun in groups. To
> get some of the better gear and some of the more interesting quests you
> need to group. But you can level without grouping just fine.

I should warn you about grouping for quests (in WoW or any other mmorpg).
If your reflexes are below par, and you don't mesh into your role
seamlessly, causing others to die because you can't respond quickly enough,
grouping may not be the most pleasant experience for you. You'll also find
that many groups rush through a quest, as if it's a waste of time to
actually read or even understand the quest objectives.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:22:26 PM

Thusly James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

>> Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial world,
>> utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense your body has,
>> and if this world were like some fantasy, would you take it?
>>
>> Most people would say yes.
>
>I think the real question would be: "What's the difference?"

Shortly followed by "...so which am I in now?"

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in

> Thusly James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:
>
>>> Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial
>>> world, utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense
>>> your body has, and if this world were like some fantasy, would you
>>> take it?
>>>
>>> Most people would say yes.
>>
>>I think the real question would be: "What's the difference?"
>
> Shortly followed by "...so which am I in now?"

You want the pessimist answer or the optimist one?
Optimist: "I am still making my choices both good and bad so this is real"
Pessimist: "Are you happy? Then it must be virtual."

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:12:02 PM

If you want to see the NEAR future of the VR world then the best read out
there at the moment is the four (large) volumes of 'OTHERLAND' by Tad
Williams.

All senses included :)

EXCELLENT!

Alan

"Courageous" <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in message

>>You can really carve a piece out for yourself. I dont know why the movie
>>'Matrix' tried to say that humans were forced into the virtual world. The
>>more they get it right, the more I think it will be a voluntary move.
>
> Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial world,
> utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense your body has,
> and if this world were like some fantasy, would you take it?
>
> Most people would say yes.
>
> C//

February 19, 2005 7:39:04 PM

Thus spake "drybones" <drybones@nospam.net>, Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:23:45
-0800, Anno Domini:

>Thought I might give it a try. While I await Oblivion. 8^)
>
>Morrowind has been my staple game for the past 2 years.
>
>At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
>hassle.
>
>Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?
>
>Many thanks for any and all assist.
>drybones

If you want a 'reflex-light' mmorpg & you've ever fancied yourself as a
SuperHero, then City of Heroes is for you (www.cityofheroes.com). It really
is a lot of fun - I'm still hard at it since last April & I'm 40 now. I know
it's not 75, but some Friday night after a hard week at work I feel like it
mate ;-)

(Fair warning: there's a couple of whiners in this group that don't like it,
for various reasons, generally none of them valid (their broken toys got
taken off them when bugs were fixed :) . The game is great solo & *fantastic*
in teams, which are easy to get into or out of if you don't like the ppl for
whatever reason. You can also form or join a SuperGroup, which is basically
like a clan or guild of like-minded ppl. You can have about 8 characters
each on 9 servers - plenty of combos to try out. Enjoy! ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

February 19, 2005 8:14:08 PM

Thus spake "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com>, Sat, 19 Feb 2005
05:10:23 GMT, Anno Domini:

>Dark Age of Camelot is about as non-twitch as its ilk is (of WoW, EQ2, etc).
>
>Avoid City of Heroes. It's a 3rd person action game more than an RPG.
>
>Jonah Falcon
>
>"drybones" <drybones@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Thought I might give it a try. While I await Oblivion. 8^)
>>
>> Morrowind has been my staple game for the past 2 years.
>>
>> At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
>> hassle.
>>
>> Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?
>>
>> Many thanks for any and all assist.
>> drybones

I warned you drybones - & it only took 29 mins LMAO!

To drybones: CoH is as *ROLEPLAYING* as playing a role gets! The mechanics
are irrelevant. It has a treadmill at certain levels (just like EQ1/2, WoW,
DaoC, etc) & it has no 'phAt l00t'. Some kids just can't get past the fact
that all the 'l00t' is very effectively built into the game mechanics & need
inventory items to shuffle around like dickheads for hours on end.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 20, 2005 1:26:17 AM

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com>, Sat, 19 Feb 2005
> 05:10:23 GMT, Anno Domini:
>
>>Dark Age of Camelot is about as non-twitch as its ilk is (of WoW, EQ2,
>>etc).
>>
>>Avoid City of Heroes. It's a 3rd person action game more than an RPG.
>>
>>Jonah Falcon
>>
>>"drybones" <drybones@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> Thought I might give it a try. While I await Oblivion. 8^)
>>>
>>> Morrowind has been my staple game for the past 2 years.
>>>
>>> At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
>>> hassle.
>>>
>>> Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for any and all assist.
>>> drybones
>>>

> I warned you drybones - & it only took 29 mins LMAO!
>
> To drybones: CoH is as *ROLEPLAYING* as playing a role gets! The mechanics
> are irrelevant. It has a treadmill at certain levels (just like EQ1/2,
> WoW,
> DaoC, etc) & it has no 'phAt l00t'. Some kids just can't get past the fact
> that all the 'l00t' is very effectively built into the game mechanics &
> need
> inventory items to shuffle around like dickheads for hours on end.

YOu didn't listen to the question, did you? It's a good RPG, yes, BUT IT
REQUIRES TWITCH REFLEXES.

Jonah Falcon
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:57:33 AM

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> once tried to test me with:

> YOu didn't listen to the question, did you? It's a good RPG, yes, BUT IT
> REQUIRES TWITCH REFLEXES.

Like how? It doesn't seem that twitchy to me. You click a button, it
performs a power. Click another button, etc. Lots of clicking, but twitch?
Plus you can even have a power on auto-fire.

But then, I'm a twitch gamer. Maybe I'm just not seeing it. It's defintely
not as "twitch" as a first person shooter.

--

Knight37

February 20, 2005 3:03:12 AM

try Runescape
www.runescape.com

It's free, its on-line and there are hours of gameplay.

"drybones" <drybones@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Thought I might give it a try. While I await Oblivion. 8^)
>
> Morrowind has been my staple game for the past 2 years.
>
> At age 75 I do not want to get into a 'eye hand ' co-ordination
> hassle.
>
> Is there a on-line RPG that I could play solo?
>
> Many thanks for any and all assist.
> drybones

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 8:09:36 PM

Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Thusly James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:
>

>>>Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial world,
>>>utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense your body has,
>>>and if this world were like some fantasy, would you take it?
>>>
>>>Most people would say yes.
>>
>>I think the real question would be: "What's the difference?"
>

> Shortly followed by "...so which am I in now?"

Followed by "OH MY BRAIN!" ;-)
February 20, 2005 10:09:09 PM

Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@email.com>, 19 Feb 2005 22:57:33 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> YOu didn't listen to the question, did you? It's a good RPG, yes, BUT IT
>> REQUIRES TWITCH REFLEXES.
>
>Like how? It doesn't seem that twitchy to me. You click a button, it
>performs a power. Click another button, etc. Lots of clicking, but twitch?
>Plus you can even have a power on auto-fire.
>
>But then, I'm a twitch gamer. Maybe I'm just not seeing it. It's defintely
>not as "twitch" as a first person shooter.

Yer talkin to Jonah here K, let me remind you...:-/

E.g., my weekly team game Tanker is all toggles & I hit the Combustion key
every 5 secs or so. Real twitch, yeah lol.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 21, 2005 3:06:16 AM

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>
> > Thusly James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> Spake Unto All:

> >>I think the real question would be: "What's the difference?"
> >

> > Shortly followed by "...so which am I in now?"
>
> Followed by "OH MY BRAIN!" ;-)

Take the blue pill.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 6:57:50 AM

>E.g., my weekly team game Tanker is all toggles & I hit the Combustion
key
>every 5 secs or so. Real twitch, yeah lol.

Try being the healer. Your team meets live and die by your reaction
times and judgement on who to heal and who not. Admittedly as a tanker
and scraper you can pretty much get on with fighting but reaction times
come more into play then other mmorpgs.

Having said that Morrowind is a hardly 'twitch' free game.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:15:54 PM

James Garvin wrote:

> Courageous wrote:
>
> > > You can really carve a piece out for yourself. I dont know why the movie
> > > 'Matrix' tried to say that humans were forced into the virtual world. The
> > > more they get it right, the more I think it will be a voluntary move.
> >

> > Uh, yeah. So, someone says, if I could immerse you in an artificial world,
> > utterly undiscernable from real, according to every sense your body has,
> > and if this world were like some fantasy, would you take it?
> >
> > Most people would say yes.
>
> I think the real question would be: "What's the difference?"

The red pill and the blue pill. I'd say only the color is diffrent.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:05:20 PM

Thusly "ChoyKw" <newsreader@newsgroup.com> Spake Unto All:

>> I think the real question would be: "What's the difference?"
>
>The red pill and the blue pill. I'd say only the color is diffrent.

And to the colorblind, not even that.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 6:02:46 PM

Rand Al'Thor wrote:
> If you want to see the NEAR future of the VR world then the best
read out
> there at the moment is the four (large) volumes of 'OTHERLAND' by Tad

> Williams.
>
> All senses included :)
>
> EXCELLENT!

Ahh.. A fellow Robert Jordan and Tad Williams fan. My healer in City
of Heroes is named Nynaeve. :)

War of the Flowers by Tad Williams was great read if you haven't got to
it yet. A single volume too, so you didn't have to wait years for
completion (the most disappointing thing about WoT is I don't think it
will ever wrap up).
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:59:08 AM

Nostromo wrote:

> It did. After about book 4. People just can't let go ;-p
>
> Highly recommended alternatives: A Song of Ice & Fire (by George R.
R.
> Martin) & Well of Echoes quartet (by Ian Irvine - fellow Aussie! :) .

Ahh. So you are recommending yet another unfinished work. ;)
February 22, 2005 9:07:42 PM

Thus spake "Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com>, 21 Feb 2005 15:02:46 -0800,
Anno Domini:

>Rand Al'Thor wrote:
>> If you want to see the NEAR future of the VR world then the best
>read out
>> there at the moment is the four (large) volumes of 'OTHERLAND' by Tad
>
>> Williams.
>>
>> All senses included :)
>>
>> EXCELLENT!
>>

>Ahh.. A fellow Robert Jordan and Tad Williams fan. My healer in City
>of Heroes is named Nynaeve. :)
>
>War of the Flowers by Tad Williams was great read if you haven't got to
>it yet. A single volume too, so you didn't have to wait years for
>completion (the most disappointing thing about WoT is I don't think it
>will ever wrap up).

It did. After about book 4. People just can't let go ;-p

Highly recommended alternatives: A Song of Ice & Fire (by George R. R.
Martin) & Well of Echoes quartet (by Ian Irvine - fellow Aussie! :) .

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

February 23, 2005 10:27:52 AM

Thus spake "Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com>, 22 Feb 2005 05:59:08 -0800,
Anno Domini:

>Nostromo wrote:
>>
>> It did. After about book 4. People just can't let go ;-p
>>
>> Highly recommended alternatives: A Song of Ice & Fire (by George R.
>R.
>> Martin) & Well of Echoes quartet (by Ian Irvine - fellow Aussie! :) .
>>

>Ahh. So you are recommending yet another unfinished work. ;)

Well, the Irvine's isn't ;-)
!