Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

V3 Phonebook Question

Tags:
  • Motorola
Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:18:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I'm interested in getting a V3, but have heard that the phonebook
requires multiple entries for a contact with more than one number.
eg:
: John Smith - Mobile
: John Smith - Home
: John Smith - Business ...

Rather than use this, I'm after the hierarchy version as per Nokia,
Sony Ericsson (and everyone else)
eg:
: John Smith
- Mobile
- Home
- Business
In this case, you select a single name from the list and then select
the number you'd like to dial.

I've emailed Motorola on the issue, and they suggested using 'Primary
Contact' (see below for instructions ) but as I haven't made the
purchase yet I can't test it.
Can anyone tell me if this actually replicates a phone book hierarchy
or just displays a single number for each name ?

TIA,

Adam


----------
>From Motorola:

You can add additional entries under one name by doing the following:

MENU => PHONEBOOK => Scroll to an entry you wish to add numbers to =>
VIEW => EDIT => MORE => ADD NEW PHONE NUMBER



To view only one primary listing, with the multiple entries filed:



MENU => PHONEBOOK => Scroll to an entry with multiple listings => VIEW
=> MENU KEY => SET PRIMARY => Select the number you wish to be the
primary one displayed in the phone book => BACK => MENU KEY => SETUP =>
VIEW => PRIMARY CONTACTS

More about : phonebook question

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:13:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

you can enter multiple numbers and emails for each entry. the primary
contact view keeps you from having to scroll through multiple entries
for each person. Try the search feature it has been discussed
multiple times.

you can now also search the phonebook with multiple letters instead of
just the 1st letter of a name, if you know how to do software updates.


--
troyboy30
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 9:42:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

phonebook is atrocious. try searching for a name. you cannot do it.
that's right, you can only put the first letter of a name in the search,
then you need to step through name by name to find your party. not being
able to load numerous numbers per person is also soooooooooooooooo
primative. DEFINITELY test this phone first before you buy. if you cannot
test it first you may be very unhappy. also, the ear piece volume is not
loud enough to hear in many situations unless complete quiet. if you use
vibration feature, it is so light you probably will not feel it in your
pocket. the letters (not so much numerals) are difficult to read.. you need
to hold the phone on an angle and try to get a certain reflection on the
keypad to see them. in bright sunlight, the screen is almost impossible to
see. literally almost impossible. test it first. a word to the wise.


<notgotmuchspaminit@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:1120803491.461412.205120@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm interested in getting a V3, but have heard that the phonebook
> requires multiple entries for a contact with more than one number.
> eg:
> : John Smith - Mobile
> : John Smith - Home
> : John Smith - Business ...
>
> Rather than use this, I'm after the hierarchy version as per Nokia,
> Sony Ericsson (and everyone else)
> eg:
> : John Smith
> - Mobile
> - Home
> - Business
> In this case, you select a single name from the list and then select
> the number you'd like to dial.
>
> I've emailed Motorola on the issue, and they suggested using 'Primary
> Contact' (see below for instructions ) but as I haven't made the
> purchase yet I can't test it.
> Can anyone tell me if this actually replicates a phone book hierarchy
> or just displays a single number for each name ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Adam
>
>
> ----------
>>From Motorola:
>
> You can add additional entries under one name by doing the following:
>
> MENU => PHONEBOOK => Scroll to an entry you wish to add numbers to =>
> VIEW => EDIT => MORE => ADD NEW PHONE NUMBER
>
>
>
> To view only one primary listing, with the multiple entries filed:
>
>
>
> MENU => PHONEBOOK => Scroll to an entry with multiple listings => VIEW
> => MENU KEY => SET PRIMARY => Select the number you wish to be the
> primary one displayed in the phone book => BACK => MENU KEY => SETUP =>
> VIEW => PRIMARY CONTACTS
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 10:07:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

> phonebook is atrocious. try searching for a name. you cannot do it.

actually you can search the phone book by more than the 1st letter now.
All you have to do is a software update. Mine searches by the whole
name if I want just fine.


You can also add numerous numbers and emails to one phonebook entry.
If you save your numbers to the phone and not the sim card. You can
enter as many numbers and or emails as you want simply by using the
'more' selection at the end of the entry screen for the main number.

The earpeice volume can be adjusted by several different applications
such as the p2k's, motokit or good ole seem editing the gain table.
Simple stuff. Mine was just fine from the day I bought it.

Vibration is also fine.

You need to look at the numbers to know what number it is? Touch touch
phone keypads have been the same for how long? you would think most
folks know where the correct keys are at with there eyes closed. If
your in the dark the light sensor will cutt on the backlighting so
that's not a problem either.

If you can't see your screen in the sunlight you might want to try
adjusting your brightness. I can see mine fine in direct sunlight.


--
troyboy30
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:51:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

The ability to put multiple entries is there ... the architecture of the
menu system, however, is a bit awkward.

When you have an entry, you have to scroll down to the bottom and select
....more... to input additional phone numbers. Also, the display needs to be
set-up to "display primary", or the multiple entries will display
individually.

The software must have been done by the classic geek "mad scientist" who
generally doesn't care about user friendliness.

It does, however, work.

<notgotmuchspaminit@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:1120803491.461412.205120@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm interested in getting a V3, but have heard that the phonebook
> requires multiple entries for a contact with more than one number.
> eg:
> : John Smith - Mobile
> : John Smith - Home
> : John Smith - Business ...
>
> Rather than use this, I'm after the hierarchy version as per Nokia,
> Sony Ericsson (and everyone else)
> eg:
> : John Smith
> - Mobile
> - Home
> - Business
> In this case, you select a single name from the list and then select
> the number you'd like to dial.
>
> I've emailed Motorola on the issue, and they suggested using 'Primary
> Contact' (see below for instructions ) but as I haven't made the
> purchase yet I can't test it.
> Can anyone tell me if this actually replicates a phone book hierarchy
> or just displays a single number for each name ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Adam
>
>
> ----------
> >From Motorola:
>
> You can add additional entries under one name by doing the following:
>
> MENU => PHONEBOOK => Scroll to an entry you wish to add numbers to =>
> VIEW => EDIT => MORE => ADD NEW PHONE NUMBER
>
>
>
> To view only one primary listing, with the multiple entries filed:
>
>
>
> MENU => PHONEBOOK => Scroll to an entry with multiple listings => VIEW
> => MENU KEY => SET PRIMARY => Select the number you wish to be the
> primary one displayed in the phone book => BACK => MENU KEY => SETUP =>
> VIEW => PRIMARY CONTACTS
>
July 9, 2005 9:52:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

troyboy30 wrote:

> If you can't see your screen in the sunlight you might want to try
> adjusting your brightness. I can see mine fine in direct sunlight.

Thats interesting--what setting do you have yours on; because I sure as
hell cant see zip in bright sunlight either at max or min brightness.
I agree with the original poster.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:37:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

some Site 4 good Razr Modification Stuff -> http://www.motox.us/
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:24:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Troyboy,

With your responses below, except for the illicit software upgrade that
voids the warranty, I would think you are a Motorola employee. The letters
frequently Cannot be read unless you are in a darkened room with backlight
on. As far as tweaking software to get the volume higher; you also stand
the chance of damaging your phone and voiding warranty at the same time.
BTW, Moto claims no problem with volume, yet you felt the need to tweak it
to get more. Interesting. Vibration is fine? Simply not true. You can
feel it fine in your hand but in your pocket you don't notice it unless you
have it tucked in your crotch inside a pair of pantyhose.


"troyboy30" <troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
news:troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>
>> phonebook is atrocious. try searching for a name. you cannot do it.
>
> actually you can search the phone book by more than the 1st letter now.
> All you have to do is a software update. Mine searches by the whole
> name if I want just fine.
>
>
> You can also add numerous numbers and emails to one phonebook entry.
> If you save your numbers to the phone and not the sim card. You can
> enter as many numbers and or emails as you want simply by using the
> 'more' selection at the end of the entry screen for the main number.
>
> The earpeice volume can be adjusted by several different applications
> such as the p2k's, motokit or good ole seem editing the gain table.
> Simple stuff. Mine was just fine from the day I bought it.
>
> Vibration is also fine.
>
> You need to look at the numbers to know what number it is? Touch touch
> phone keypads have been the same for how long? you would think most
> folks know where the correct keys are at with there eyes closed. If
> your in the dark the light sensor will cutt on the backlighting so
> that's not a problem either.
>
> If you can't see your screen in the sunlight you might want to try
> adjusting your brightness. I can see mine fine in direct sunlight.
>
>
> --
> troyboy30
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
>
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:25:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

as far as hitting more, it does not add phone numbers to the original
record!!!! that function creates now multiple records which is so time
consuming, confusing and stupid.


"troyboy30" <troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
news:troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>
>> phonebook is atrocious. try searching for a name. you cannot do it.
>
> actually you can search the phone book by more than the 1st letter now.
> All you have to do is a software update. Mine searches by the whole
> name if I want just fine.
>
>
> You can also add numerous numbers and emails to one phonebook entry.
> If you save your numbers to the phone and not the sim card. You can
> enter as many numbers and or emails as you want simply by using the
> 'more' selection at the end of the entry screen for the main number.
>
> The earpeice volume can be adjusted by several different applications
> such as the p2k's, motokit or good ole seem editing the gain table.
> Simple stuff. Mine was just fine from the day I bought it.
>
> Vibration is also fine.
>
> You need to look at the numbers to know what number it is? Touch touch
> phone keypads have been the same for how long? you would think most
> folks know where the correct keys are at with there eyes closed. If
> your in the dark the light sensor will cutt on the backlighting so
> that's not a problem either.
>
> If you can't see your screen in the sunlight you might want to try
> adjusting your brightness. I can see mine fine in direct sunlight.
>
>
> --
> troyboy30
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:09:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I have to agree with troyboy on this one.

I've done the volume edit as well and it was simple and easy.
AS for the comment, "you don't notice it unless you have it tucked in your
crotch inside a pair of pantyhose." Do your phones see alot of that type of
action? I can feel the vibration in my pocket just fine so I'm not sure
what your problem could be, unless you're a disgusting fatbody!!

There are two lcd types used in main displays these days (transflective and
transmissive)
Transflective screens while brighter when viewed indoors are easily washed
out by bright light outdoors. Transmissive are much easier to read outdoors.
Apparently, the RAZR is transflective, but many others are as well so even
if you had another model you'd probably run into the same problem.

DX

"Jimmy Smith" <Holland@MST.com> wrote in message
news:J7Yze.45424$qm.1545@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Troyboy,
>
> With your responses below, except for the illicit software upgrade that
> voids the warranty, I would think you are a Motorola employee. The
> letters frequently Cannot be read unless you are in a darkened room with
> backlight on. As far as tweaking software to get the volume higher; you
> also stand the chance of damaging your phone and voiding warranty at the
> same time. BTW, Moto claims no problem with volume, yet you felt the need
> to tweak it to get more. Interesting. Vibration is fine? Simply not
> true. You can feel it fine in your hand but in your pocket you don't
> notice it unless you have it tucked in your crotch inside a pair of
> pantyhose.
>
>
> "troyboy30" <troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
> news:troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>>
>>> phonebook is atrocious. try searching for a name. you cannot do it.
>>
>> actually you can search the phone book by more than the 1st letter now.
>> All you have to do is a software update. Mine searches by the whole
>> name if I want just fine.
>>
>>
>> You can also add numerous numbers and emails to one phonebook entry.
>> If you save your numbers to the phone and not the sim card. You can
>> enter as many numbers and or emails as you want simply by using the
>> 'more' selection at the end of the entry screen for the main number.
>>
>> The earpeice volume can be adjusted by several different applications
>> such as the p2k's, motokit or good ole seem editing the gain table.
>> Simple stuff. Mine was just fine from the day I bought it.
>>
>> Vibration is also fine.
>>
>> You need to look at the numbers to know what number it is? Touch touch
>> phone keypads have been the same for how long? you would think most
>> folks know where the correct keys are at with there eyes closed. If
>> your in the dark the light sensor will cutt on the backlighting so
>> that's not a problem either.
>>
>> If you can't see your screen in the sunlight you might want to try
>> adjusting your brightness. I can see mine fine in direct sunlight.
>>
>>
>> --
>> troyboy30
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:10:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

That's how it is on the current motorolas so get over it, or get a new phone
and STFU!

"Jimmy Smith" <Holland@MST.com> wrote in message
news:R8Yze.45425$qm.7458@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> as far as hitting more, it does not add phone numbers to the original
> record!!!! that function creates now multiple records which is so time
> consuming, confusing and stupid.
>
>
> "troyboy30" <troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
> news:troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>>
>>> phonebook is atrocious. try searching for a name. you cannot do it.
>>
>> actually you can search the phone book by more than the 1st letter now.
>> All you have to do is a software update. Mine searches by the whole
>> name if I want just fine.
>>
>>
>> You can also add numerous numbers and emails to one phonebook entry.
>> If you save your numbers to the phone and not the sim card. You can
>> enter as many numbers and or emails as you want simply by using the
>> 'more' selection at the end of the entry screen for the main number.
>>
>> The earpeice volume can be adjusted by several different applications
>> such as the p2k's, motokit or good ole seem editing the gain table.
>> Simple stuff. Mine was just fine from the day I bought it.
>>
>> Vibration is also fine.
>>
>> You need to look at the numbers to know what number it is? Touch touch
>> phone keypads have been the same for how long? you would think most
>> folks know where the correct keys are at with there eyes closed. If
>> your in the dark the light sensor will cutt on the backlighting so
>> that's not a problem either.
>>
>> If you can't see your screen in the sunlight you might want to try
>> adjusting your brightness. I can see mine fine in direct sunlight.
>>
>>
>> --
>> troyboy30
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 4:07:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

no i am not a moto employee. sure software updates and tweaks can void
the warranty but why would you ever need to send it back. You can fix
it yourself. Mine aint far from a year old anyway. if not, restore it
to stock then send it back. you'd be suprised how little they care
about you doing updates when replacing the phone. they include a data
cable with the phone for gods sake! lol


--
troyboy30
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:52:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Destrux" <destrux.placeholder@hotmail.freelydelete.com> wrote in message
news:KPYze.138431$XQ.2649105@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> That's how it is on the current motorolas so get over it, or get a new
> phone and STFU!

Companies (unnamed) should stop hiring college students like yourself to
publicly and rudely defend their products under the guise as "goofy user" at
all costs. You are sooooooo obvious. Are they paying you overtime to post
here?


>
> "Jimmy Smith" <Holland@MST.com> wrote in message
> news:R8Yze.45425$qm.7458@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>> as far as hitting more, it does not add phone numbers to the original
>> record!!!! that function creates now multiple records which is so time
>> consuming, confusing and stupid.
>>
>>
>> "troyboy30" <troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
>> message news:troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>>>
>>>> phonebook is atrocious. try searching for a name. you cannot do it.
>>>
>>> actually you can search the phone book by more than the 1st letter now.
>>> All you have to do is a software update. Mine searches by the whole
>>> name if I want just fine.
>>>
>>>
>>> You can also add numerous numbers and emails to one phonebook entry.
>>> If you save your numbers to the phone and not the sim card. You can
>>> enter as many numbers and or emails as you want simply by using the
>>> 'more' selection at the end of the entry screen for the main number.
>>>
>>> The earpeice volume can be adjusted by several different applications
>>> such as the p2k's, motokit or good ole seem editing the gain table.
>>> Simple stuff. Mine was just fine from the day I bought it.
>>>
>>> Vibration is also fine.
>>>
>>> You need to look at the numbers to know what number it is? Touch touch
>>> phone keypads have been the same for how long? you would think most
>>> folks know where the correct keys are at with there eyes closed. If
>>> your in the dark the light sensor will cutt on the backlighting so
>>> that's not a problem either.
>>>
>>> If you can't see your screen in the sunlight you might want to try
>>> adjusting your brightness. I can see mine fine in direct sunlight.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> troyboy30
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
>>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:44:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I don't work for motorola, or any other company in the wireless industry.
Facts are facts, the sooner you get over the better you'll be my "friend"
fyi, I graduated college over 2 decades ago!

d

"Jimmy Smith" <Holland@MST.com> wrote in message
news:zBaAe.68213$du.4089@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Destrux" <destrux.placeholder@hotmail.freelydelete.com> wrote in message
> news:KPYze.138431$XQ.2649105@twister.southeast.rr.com...
>> That's how it is on the current motorolas so get over it, or get a new
>> phone and STFU!
>
> Companies (unnamed) should stop hiring college students like yourself to
> publicly and rudely defend their products under the guise as "goofy user"
> at all costs. You are sooooooo obvious. Are they paying you overtime to
> post here?
>
>
>>
>> "Jimmy Smith" <Holland@MST.com> wrote in message
>> news:R8Yze.45425$qm.7458@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>>> as far as hitting more, it does not add phone numbers to the original
>>> record!!!! that function creates now multiple records which is so time
>>> consuming, confusing and stupid.
>>>
>>>
>>> "troyboy30" <troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
>>> message news:troyboy30.1rvize@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>>>>
>>>>> phonebook is atrocious. try searching for a name. you cannot do it.
>>>>
>>>> actually you can search the phone book by more than the 1st letter now.
>>>> All you have to do is a software update. Mine searches by the whole
>>>> name if I want just fine.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> You can also add numerous numbers and emails to one phonebook entry.
>>>> If you save your numbers to the phone and not the sim card. You can
>>>> enter as many numbers and or emails as you want simply by using the
>>>> 'more' selection at the end of the entry screen for the main number.
>>>>
>>>> The earpeice volume can be adjusted by several different applications
>>>> such as the p2k's, motokit or good ole seem editing the gain table.
>>>> Simple stuff. Mine was just fine from the day I bought it.
>>>>
>>>> Vibration is also fine.
>>>>
>>>> You need to look at the numbers to know what number it is? Touch touch
>>>> phone keypads have been the same for how long? you would think most
>>>> folks know where the correct keys are at with there eyes closed. If
>>>> your in the dark the light sensor will cutt on the backlighting so
>>>> that's not a problem either.
>>>>
>>>> If you can't see your screen in the sunlight you might want to try
>>>> adjusting your brightness. I can see mine fine in direct sunlight.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> troyboy30
>>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
>>>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:57:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

talking to me? Actually I am getting paid to post here since I am on
the clock! lol

and no I'm not admitting how long it's been since I graduated college!


--
troyboy30
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t180946.html
!