Sign in with
Your question

New computer can't connect a router

Last response: in Networking
February 2, 2013 9:37:01 PM

i got a new computer off ebay(i know not the best option).i load windows 7 onto it and try to get into internet explorer to get google chrome and it says that i need to configure a network so i try and configure one but it says that no networks are connected to it.i had vista on it before windows 7(still couldn't connect)and it said that it was a realtak router but underneath the router it says that it's netgear i don't know which one it is.i have gotten into the router using its ip.also the model for the netgear part is b90-755044-15 it work just fine for this computer although it's on windows XP do i need a driver for the mother board,router,or what.
February 2, 2013 9:47:35 PM

Realtek do not make routers - they make sound and ethernet/wireless network chipsets. Your router is the Netgear device, and that doesn't need a driver (unless it connects to USB instead of to a network adapter).

It's the Realtek wireless network adapter that needs a driver. The driver is supplied by the computer manufacturer via their website. Do not download it from the Realtek website, only from the computer manufacturer.
m
l
February 2, 2013 9:50:54 PM

phil22 said:
Realtek do not make routers - they make sound and wireless network adapters. Your router is the Netgear device.

The Realtex wireless network adapter needs a driver. The driver is supplied by the computer manufacturer via their website. Do not download it from the Realtek website, only from the computer manufacturer.

that explaines how it says realtek because it is part wireless and how am i to get from the computer manufactures website when it is custom made computer
m
l
!