Fostex D-series ADAT sync problem w. Sonorus StudI/O

Last response: in Home Audio
January 3, 2005 1:30:00 AM

Hello,

I have a Fostex D108 and a Fostex D90 connected to a Sonorus StudI/O card in
Win98 system. I want to record the 16 audio tracks to the PC simultaneously,
for later editing.

The Fostexes run in sync using MTC (yes, i know that has nothing to do with
the adat clock), their ADAT OUTs are connected to the 2
adat ins of the Sonorus board.

When i set the Sonorus' clock to slave to ADAT A, i get good sound on the
first 8 tracks and clicks and pops on the second 8 tracks.
When i set it to slave to ADAT B, i get clicks and pops in the first 8
tracks and good sound on the second.
When i set it to internal clock i get clicks and pops in all the 16 tracks.

The D108 and D90 do not have separate word clock outputs (the StudI/O has an
optional back plate for word clock inputs, which i don't own) and i have not
found another way to sync them.
How can i solve this problem?

Does anybody know if the company Sonorus (http://www.sonorus.com) is still
alive? Their site hasn't been updated for long and they don't make new
drivers for this board anymore.

Regards,

Theo Fokkema
rocktech.nl
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:30:01 AM

Hi Theo,

I've never used Sonorus but I've worked with Fostex D series recorders a
fair bit. ( although I've mainly worked with the D824 and D2424LV which both
have word clock I/O )

On my D machines there are settings in the menu for asynchronous or
synchronous. Have you tried different combinations of these?

What is the source of your MTC? One or the other Fostex machines? If
possible try having Sonorus generate the MTC and feed both D machines with
it ( preferably through a midi patch bay instead of daisy chaining ) and
also make them slave to Sonorus' ADAT clock.

One thing you could always do if you need to get it done right away is to
record 8 channels digital and the other 8 analog ( interface permitting ).
Or I guess you could do two passes, one for each machine.

Sorry for all the guesses. A couple good places to ask about Fostex D
series machines are :
posts )
the Fostex section on HomeRecording but it seems to be down at the moment :
http://homerecording.com/bbs/
and Fostex' new user forum ( which I've only recently noticed ) -
http://www.fostex.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=forum&f=...

Best of luck!

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

"Badmuts" <AntwoordInDeNieuwsgroep@ReplyInNewsgroup.invalid> wrote in
message news:ACDN518B60BF8@acadiane.org...
> Hello,
>
> I have a Fostex D108 and a Fostex D90 connected to a Sonorus StudI/O card
in
> Win98 system. I want to record the 16 audio tracks to the PC
simultaneously,
> for later editing.
>
> The Fostexes run in sync using MTC (yes, i know that has nothing to do
with
> the adat clock), their ADAT OUTs are connected to the 2
> adat ins of the Sonorus board.
>
> When i set the Sonorus' clock to slave to ADAT A, i get good sound on the
> first 8 tracks and clicks and pops on the second 8 tracks.
> When i set it to slave to ADAT B, i get clicks and pops in the first 8
> tracks and good sound on the second.
> When i set it to internal clock i get clicks and pops in all the 16
tracks.

> The D108 and D90 do not have separate word clock outputs (the StudI/O has
an
> optional back plate for word clock inputs, which i don't own) and i have
not
> found another way to sync them.
> How can i solve this problem?
>
> Does anybody know if the company Sonorus (http://www.sonorus.com) is still
> alive? Their site hasn't been updated for long and they don't make new
> drivers for this board anymore.
>

> Regards,
>
> Theo Fokkema
> rocktech.nl

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:52:33 AM

Badmuts wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Fostex D108 and a Fostex D90 connected to a Sonorus StudI/O card in
> Win98 system. I want to record the 16 audio tracks to the PC simultaneously,
> for later editing.
>
> The Fostexes run in sync using MTC (yes, i know that has nothing to do with
> the adat clock), their ADAT OUTs are connected to the 2
> adat ins of the Sonorus board.
>
> When i set the Sonorus' clock to slave to ADAT A, i get good sound on the
> first 8 tracks and clicks and pops on the second 8 tracks.
> When i set it to slave to ADAT B, i get clicks and pops in the first 8
> tracks and good sound on the second.
> When i set it to internal clock i get clicks and pops in all the 16 tracks.
>
> The D108 and D90 do not have separate word clock outputs (the StudI/O has an
> optional back plate for word clock inputs, which i don't own) and i have not
> found another way to sync them.
> How can i solve this problem?
>
> Does anybody know if the company Sonorus (http://www.sonorus.com) is still
> alive? Their site hasn't been updated for long and they don't make new
> drivers for this board anymore.
>

> Regards,
>
> Theo Fokkema
> rocktech.nl

I guess I'm on a roll with ADAT lightpipe talk, so here goes another:

Page 122 on:
http://www.fostex.com/support/pdf/fostex/d108/d108_owne...

Page 111, 136 on:
http://www.fostex.com/support/pdf/fostex/d90/d90_owners...

Connect ADAT outputs of Sonorus StudI/O card back to Fostex ADAT inputs.
Set Sonorus to internal clock. Set both Fostex clocks to slave off of
ADAT input. Now the two should be in sync with each other.

An alternate way, but not as good, is this:

Connect output of one Fostex to the other Fostex input with ADAT
lightpipe cable with a $10 Toslink optical Y-splitter. Keep Toslink
cables short, because you lose optical signal strength by using the
splitter. Slave one Fostex clock off the other. Now the two should be
in sync with each other.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:08:29 AM

Hi,

> When i set the Sonorus' clock to slave to ADAT A, i get good sound on the
> first 8 tracks and clicks and pops on the second 8 tracks.
> When i set it to slave to ADAT B, i get clicks and pops in the first 8
> tracks and good sound on the second.
> When i set it to internal clock i get clicks and pops in all the 16 tracks.

That's all quite obvious... ;-)

> The D108 and D90 do not have separate word clock outputs (the StudI/O has an
> optional back plate for word clock inputs, which i don't own) and i have not
> found another way to sync them.
> How can i solve this problem?

Set the StudI/O to internal clock, connect the card's ADAT outputs to
the tape machines' inputs also and sync them to the external ADAT
signal... Without Wordclock, that's the only way to get all three
devices in sync.

> Does anybody know if the company Sonorus (http://www.sonorus.com) is still
> alive? Their site hasn't been updated for long and they don't make new
> drivers for this board anymore.

No, I believe the company is quite dead... I've been using te same card
for live recordings for years (Now I mostly use a laptop, less
haulage...). I found it quite reliable and stable.

Daniel
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:52:06 PM

Daniel, John, Garth,

Thanks for your advice, i suppose i will be able to solve the problem this
way. Unfortunately I don't have access to the equipment until wednesday.

There is a slight problem: something is stuck in the adat in of the D108 and
the previous owner tried to get it out using glue... (!)
That didn't work (the toslink connector is now a mess...), so effectively
the optical input is unusable. If i don't want to go through replacing the
Toslink connector (are these for sale as spare part?), would the following
approach work:

- connect adat out of d108 to adat in of sonorus board and have sonorus'
clock slave to d108
- connect adat out of d90 to adat in of sonorus (just like it already was)
- connect adat out of sonorus board to adat in of d90 and have d90's clock
slave to adat

I think this forms a kind of daisy-chain, but could it work? Or should i go
about replacing the toslink?

Bm
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:23:17 PM

Badmuts wrote:
> Daniel, John, Garth,
>
> Thanks for your advice, i suppose i will be able to solve the problem this
> way. Unfortunately I don't have access to the equipment until wednesday.
>
> There is a slight problem: something is stuck in the adat in of the D108 and
> the previous owner tried to get it out using glue... (!)
> That didn't work (the toslink connector is now a mess...), so effectively
> the optical input is unusable. If i don't want to go through replacing the
> Toslink connector (are these for sale as spare part?), would the following
> approach work:
>
> - connect adat out of d108 to adat in of sonorus board and have sonorus'
> clock slave to d108
> - connect adat out of d90 to adat in of sonorus (just like it already was)
> - connect adat out of sonorus board to adat in of d90 and have d90's clock
> slave to adat
>
> I think this forms a kind of daisy-chain, but could it work? Or should i go
> about replacing the toslink?

That should work, too. Give that a try.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:31:31 AM

I got it working!

Thanks people!

Bm
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:31:32 AM

"Badmuts" <AntwoordInDeNieuwsgroep@ReplyInNewsgroup.invalid> wrote in
message news:ACDN567B69078@acadiane.org...
> I got it working!
>
> Thanks people!
>
> Bm

Good news!!

So, which technique worked for you? ( posting it here will help save time
for others in the future )

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:34:01 PM

John L Rice wrote:
> So, which technique worked for you? ( posting it here will help save
> time for others in the future )

You're right... i did another posting here but somehow it didn't make it to
the newsgroup.
Anyway, here's what i did:
Since my D108's ADAT IN is broken (physical problems with the Toslink
connector) i set it up this way:
D108 adat out to sonorus adat in 1
Sonorus clock slaves to its adat in 1
D90 connected to adat in 2 and adat out 2 of the sonorus
D90 slaves to its ADAT in, so slaves to the Sonorus.

It is a daisy chain, but it works the way it should. I'd probably get in
trouble if the setup was bigger, but for the coming project this will
definitely do.

--
Bm
Anonymous

"Badmuts" <AntwoordInDeNieuwsgroep@ReplyInNewsgroup.invalid> wrote in
message news:ACDN582B6B84B@acadiane.org...
> John L Rice wrote:
> > So, which technique worked for you? ( posting it here will help save
> > time for others in the future )
>
> You're right... i did another posting here but somehow it didn't make it
> the newsgroup.
> Anyway, here's what i did:
> Since my D108's ADAT IN is broken (physical problems with the Toslink
> connector) i set it up this way:
> D108 adat out to sonorus adat in 1
> Sonorus clock slaves to its adat in 1
> D90 connected to adat in 2 and adat out 2 of the sonorus
> D90 slaves to its ADAT in, so slaves to the Sonorus.
>
> It is a daisy chain, but it works the way it should. I'd probably get in
> trouble if the setup was bigger, but for the coming project this will
> definitely do.
>
> --
> Bm

Thanks! ;-)