Burning 800Mb CDs

lairdvancouver

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Perhaps I've missed the obvious, but... I cannot burn 800Mb CDs.

I have two burners,
(1) a Plextor 12x10x32 on a Win2K system (450Mhz with 128Mb), and
(2) an LG 40x12x40 (GCE-8400B) on a WinXP Pro (P4 1.7Ghz with 256Mb DDR) system
Both computers have tons of free drive space.

Started out using Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum, but that would only recognize the 800Mb CDs as 700Mb (ejects the 800Mb CD and complains "insufficient space on destination media". Purchased Nero Burning Rom 5.10, same problem! The CD I want to create will contain one 710Mb file.

Am I missing anything obvious? Is there a config setting that I should know about? I've searched through config settings for both programs and cannot find a setting that makes the difference.

If this is not the correct (or best) forum for this type of help request, please suggest another.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't have the computer with Nero running right now but under the Burn tab of New Compilation there should be something to enable overburning.

Also in Nero CD Speed, which is part of the Nero package, there is a test which among other things tests overburns. This test creates a database storing information about each disk type and how far it can be overburned. At least that's what it's supposed to do.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

lairdvancouver

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Thanks for the tips - I didn't notice the CD SPEED program before or know what it was for.

Interestingly, the CDs I bought were detected as 800Mb CDs in Blindwrite (I didn't have any 800Mb CD to duplicate though so I couldn't test it). However, in Nero's CD SPEED app, they are detected as 703 MB (data) and 807 MB (audio). What's THAT all about...? And how do I fit a file with a byte size of 743,317,504 bytes (708 MB) onto one CD?

*sigh*
Laird

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Did you try ticking the overburn option? If the discs you have are really 800 MB discs then you shouldn't have a problem. As long as your writers can write beyond 80 minutes, not all can, you should be OK. Frankly, anything beyond 80 minutes is kind of iffy. Some readers can't read this and data reliability isn't that great for some of the writers that can overburn.

Don't know why your discs are being mis-detected by Nero. (I've never owned any 80+ minutes discs). Most of the regular discs I've tried I can't overburn by more than 2 minutes, that 76 minutes for 74 minutes discs and 82 for 80. Technically overburnig is burning beyond a discs rated size but I consider anything over 80 minutes overburning as well just because of the issues.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Firstly you must enable overburn in Nero.
File->Preference->Expert Feature->Enable Overburn
Then you must type in the boxes below how lony your CD-R's are.
Then from that same preference TAB goto General and type in new Status bar settings with the RED bar being set at 90mins or 99 mins depending on what you CD-R's actaully are.
Next when you burn you can't use the wizard as it burn in Track-At-Once mode and you need Disc-At-Once Mode, so close the wizrd and create a CD without it, when you click on the burn icon make sure you change the box which says write method to Disc-at-Once.
Whoila, youre burning an iverburn cD, if your drive can handle it that is. :)

:eek: <b>This is an exceptionally bad sig!</b> :eek: