Sign in with
Your question

Frequent "cannot display webpage" errors on one of my computers??

Last response: in Networking
February 2, 2013 10:25:03 PM

Hello this is my first post so please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong spot. So about a month ago I built myself a new desktop and I have been getting very frequent errors while browsing the internet saying that it could not connect to the server or that it could not display the webpage. Now I know that the problem is not with the browser because I get the errors regardless of what browser I use, whether it be chrome, firefox, or internet explorer. I also am pretty sure that it is not due to a virus, seeing that my computer is just over a month old and I also run scans with avg antivirus very frequently. One thing I have found is that when I am getting the errors if I bypass my router and just plug my pc straight into the modem using ethernet, the errors completely go away. But I am not sure if it is the router, though, because a different computer in my house is also connected to the router through ethernet and that computer never gets the errors that my new computer gets. Also, devices using wifi with the router always work fine, without ever receiving any errors. When I get these errors, they will only occur for an hour at most, and then randomly go away and return at a later time in the day. But when I do have the errors, I am often able to visit a few websites without receiving the errors. I also made sure that I have chrome listed in my firewall settings as a program to "allow". I should also note that I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. Is there some kind of firewall setting that I'm missing? Do I need to change some settings in my router? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D 
February 3, 2013 2:31:50 AM

It sounds like your wireless connection is disconnecting. What is your wireless signal strength normally? When it disconnects, view the wireless networks, and see what the signal strength is.
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:00:00 AM

Thanks alot for the reply! I just checked my network stuff and I am connected through ethernet to the router. It says that I am connected and that I have internet access, and some websites still work when I try to load them, so I think I'm connected to the internet. I'm just thinking that maybe it's a router problem since when I bypass the router and connect directly to the modem, all websites load just fine.
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:06:11 AM

Ah, sorry, I misread your first post.

Try opening a command prompt, and running ipconfig /flushdns

That should respond with a message that is was successful. Then open your internet browser, and delete your temporary internet files and cookies. See if that resolves the browsing issues.
m
l
Related resources
!