I use Bose with Linux and it sounds great.

Last response: in Home Audio
January 2, 2005 9:12:05 PM

I don't understand why BOSE and Linux gets a bad RAP in this and other
groups?
I've been using BOSE gear for years and have been very happy with it
excepting the foam rot on my 802's which BOSE fixed for free.
I run a Linux based studio around Ardour/Audacity/jack using VST plugins
and everything works well.
I am currently using a set of 802's as my mains.
A set of 901's as my playback system.
A Lifestyle kit as my "what does it sound like on consumer gear" kit and I
have had no troubles translating great mixes to bigger studios.

In fact the comments I get are along the lines of very nuetral sound that
can easily be worked with.
I'm running an old Alesis 1622 board with dbx 266's and some BBE gear.
I tried an RNC but didn't like the way it colored the sound so I went back
to the 266's.
The entire studio is wired up with Monster cable and I am using an old
Yang and Chung piano as a focal point for my acoustic artists.

Honestly I can't understand why people hate BOSE because my clients are
always praising how great my mixes sound on the Bose system.
In fact just last night a trio was telling me they had never heard their
tracking sound like that before!
If that isn't a plug what is?

My Linux system just keeps on ticking and when these Protools snobs come
around I show them my Linux/Alesis/Yamaha Pro-02 systems and they just
can't believe it and have said as much.

So why does BOSE and Linux get such a bad hit around here?

Heather Canfield
January 2, 2005 10:33:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.advocacy (More info?)

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:12:05 -0500, Heather Canfield wrote:

> I don't understand why BOSE and Linux gets a bad RAP in this and other
> groups?
> I've been using BOSE gear for years and have been very happy with it
> excepting the foam rot on my 802's which BOSE fixed for free.
> I run a Linux based studio around Ardour/Audacity/jack using VST plugins
> and everything works well.
> I am currently using a set of 802's as my mains.
> A set of 901's as my playback system.
> A Lifestyle kit as my "what does it sound like on consumer gear" kit and I
> have had no troubles translating great mixes to bigger studios.
>
> In fact the comments I get are along the lines of very nuetral sound that
> can easily be worked with.
> I'm running an old Alesis 1622 board with dbx 266's and some BBE gear.
> I tried an RNC but didn't like the way it colored the sound so I went back
> to the 266's.
> The entire studio is wired up with Monster cable and I am using an old
> Yang and Chung piano as a focal point for my acoustic artists.
>
> Honestly I can't understand why people hate BOSE because my clients are
> always praising how great my mixes sound on the Bose system.
> In fact just last night a trio was telling me they had never heard their
> tracking sound like that before!
> If that isn't a plug what is?
>
> My Linux system just keeps on ticking and when these Protools snobs come
> around I show them my Linux/Alesis/Yamaha Pro-02 systems and they just
> can't believe it and have said as much.
>
> So why does BOSE and Linux get such a bad hit around here?
>
> Heather Canfield

Ya' killing me Heather.
I haven't laughed this hard all holiday season!
Keep it up!
Great troll!!!
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 11:29:20 PM

Heather Canfield <bose_gurl@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Honestly I can't understand why people hate BOSE because my clients are
>always praising how great my mixes sound on the Bose system.
>In fact just last night a trio was telling me they had never heard their
>tracking sound like that before!
>If that isn't a plug what is?

Monitors aren't supposed to make things sound good, remember?
Monitors that make -everything- sound good make it impossible to mix
anything and know when something sounds bad.

Please try trolling elsewhere. The fact that you have not posted and you
are using the same IP address as the last troll is probably a bad sign.
--scott

January 3, 2005 12:05:04 AM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:29:20 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Monitors aren't supposed to make things sound good, remember?

The Bose will certainly fit that criteria :)

> Monitors that make -everything- sound good make it impossible to mix

Bose makes nothing sound good!

> anything and know when something sounds bad.
>
> Please try trolling elsewhere. The fact that you have not posted and you
> are using the same IP address as the last troll is probably a bad sign.
> --scott

I don't see an ip address in that post?
Where is it located so I can filter it out in the future,
TIA,
January 3, 2005 12:33:28 AM

"flatfish+++" <flatfish@linuxmail.org> wrote in message

> I don't see an ip address in that post?
> Where is it located so I can filter it out in the future,
> TIA,

Just look at the headers, flatfish.

Jim
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:26:42 AM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:12:05 -0500, Heather Canfield wrote:

<snip>
> So why does BOSE and Linux get such a bad hit around here?
>
> Heather Canfield

Great troll!

Next time, I'd love to read a little about four track cassette tape being
higher fidelity than digital, and your AKG C1000 sounding better
than a U87. It would have been nice if the mixer was a Behringer Eurodesk
too.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:26:43 AM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:26:42 +0000, philicorda wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:12:05 -0500, Heather Canfield wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> So why does BOSE and Linux get such a bad hit around here?
>>
>> Heather Canfield
>
> Great troll!
>
> Next time, I'd love to read a little about four track cassette tape being
> higher fidelity than digital, and your AKG C1000 sounding better
> than a U87. It would have been nice if the mixer was a Behringer Eurodesk
> too.

I'm not trolling, I am dead serious. You sound like a Protools snob.
BTW I've been trying to get to www.agnula.org all day and it seems to be
down?
Heather Canfield.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 4:45:52 AM

On 2005-01-02, Heather Canfield <bose_gurl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been using BOSE gear for years and have been very happy with it
> [...] I run a Linux based studio around Ardour/Audacity/jack using VST
> plugins and everything works well. I am currently using a set of
> 802's as my mains. [...] I'm running an old Alesis 1622 board with dbx
> 266's and some BBE gear. I tried an RNC but didn't like the way it
> colored the sound so I went back to the 266's. The entire studio is
> wired up with Monster cable

Trop gros, passera pas.

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/&gt;
Todos, todos me miran mal

<bose_gurl@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I don't understand why BOSE and Linux gets a bad RAP in this and other
>groups?
>I've been using BOSE gear for years and have been very happy with it
>I'm running an old Alesis 1622 board with dbx 266's and some BBE gear.
>I tried an RNC but didn't like the way it colored the sound so I went back
>to the 266's.
If you like the dbx266, but not the RNC, you'll LOVE the Alesis 3630.
Mike T.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 6:29:19 AM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 03:29:18 +0000, Mike T. wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:12:05 -0500, Heather Canfield
> <bose_gurl@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't understand why BOSE and Linux gets a bad RAP in this and other
>>groups?
>>I've been using BOSE gear for years and have been very happy with it
>>I'm running an old Alesis 1622 board with dbx 266's and some BBE gear.
>>I tried an RNC but didn't like the way it colored the sound so I went back
>>to the 266's.
> If you like the dbx266, but not the RNC, you'll LOVE the Alesis 3630.
> Mike T.

Does it have +4 inputs?
Heather
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:58:31 AM

Ah--but you haven't heard Bose and Linux at their best until you've
recorded an AKG C 1000 microphone through the ART Tube MP, and then
routed the signal through Behringer electronics.

--best regards

P.S.: Bose is a person's last name, not an acronym; there's no reason
to write it in ALL CAPS.

P.P.S.: I like the years when April 1st comes a little early, as it
seems to have in your messages.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 12:54:49 PM

Heather Canfield <bose_gurl@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 03:29:18 +0000, Mike T. wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:12:05 -0500, Heather Canfield
>> <bose_gurl@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't understand why BOSE and Linux gets a bad RAP in this and other
>>>groups?
>>>I've been using BOSE gear for years and have been very happy with it
>>>I'm running an old Alesis 1622 board with dbx 266's and some BBE gear.
>>>I tried an RNC but didn't like the way it colored the sound so I went back
>>>to the 266's.
>> If you like the dbx266, but not the RNC, you'll LOVE the Alesis 3630.
>
>Does it have +4 inputs?

Doesn't matter, it won't track no matter WHAT level you feed it.
--scott
January 3, 2005 3:04:23 PM

Heather Canfield wrote:
> I'm not trolling, I am dead serious.

Then post one of your mixes somewhere for us to judge. I've never been able
to make a decent mix on an alesis 1622.
(i did on behringer, though)
--
Bm
Anonymous

In article <ACDN532B62C14@acadiane.org> AntwoordInDeNieuwsgroep@ReplyInNewsgroup.invalid writes:

> Then post one of your mixes somewhere for us to judge. I've never been able
> to make a decent mix on an alesis 1622.

What? There's still a working Alesis 1622 somewhere? I'll bet Alesis
would trade you a lot of new stuff for that.

January 3, 2005 6:42:18 PM

So you didn't realise that BOSE stands for Bring Other Sound Equipment?
Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 7:07:17 PM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:44:17 -0500, Heather Canfield
<bose_gurl@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 03:29:18 +0000, Mike T. wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:12:05 -0500, Heather Canfield
>> <bose_gurl@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't understand why BOSE and Linux gets a bad RAP in this and other
>>>groups?
>>>I've been using BOSE gear for years and have been very happy with it
>>>I'm running an old Alesis 1622 board with dbx 266's and some BBE gear.
>>>I tried an RNC but didn't like the way it colored the sound so I went back
>>>to the 266's.
>> If you like the dbx266, but not the RNC, you'll LOVE the Alesis 3630.
>> Mike T.
>
>Does it have +4 inputs?
>Heather

Yes, but it clips at about +12
Mike T.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:05:25 PM

"David Satz" <DSatz@msn.com> wrote in message
> Ah--but you haven't heard Bose and Linux at their best until you've
> recorded an AKG C 1000 microphone through the ART Tube MP, and then
> routed the signal through Behringer electronics.
>
> --best regards
>
> P.S.: Bose is a person's last name, not an acronym; there's no reason
> to write it in ALL CAPS.
>
> P.P.S.: I like the years when April 1st comes a little early, as it
> seems to have in your messages.

Linux-sourced sound only sounds good through a Bose when it was recorded
with a C1000 and went through a 3630 at some stage.

geoff
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:41:53 PM

Heather Canfield wrote:

> I don't understand why BOSE and Linux gets a bad RAP
> in this and other groups?

It could be due to the obvius incompetence of those that appear to be
paid for marketing it. Just what is your background in sound recording?

> My Linux system just keeps on ticking and when these Protools
> snobs come around I show them my Linux/Alesis/Yamaha Pro-02
> systems and they just can't believe it and have said as much.

I believe they said that they could not believe it, but I do not believe
that you actually understood what they meant.

> So why does BOSE and Linux get such a bad hit around here?

I don't think either is getting a bad hit, but I do think that people
are promoting them for tasks they are unsuited for. Bose has properties
that can be useful in specific applications and the same applies to
Linux.

> Heather Canfield

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

January 9, 2005 12:39:09 PM

Oh yeah baby...just spent the day at Rock Beach in White Rock, with that
yucky SSL 4000G, their stinky Radars, a pair of abysmal Dynaudio's, a rack
full of piss poor Grace, Avalon, and GML. I was wondering from the moment I
walked in, where is that Bose gear? Ah well...next time, I'm recording with
you!!

!