Video Game Making.

I was thinking of making a computer game but I've only got a few things
down with it. Is anybody here interested in helping?

Does anybody here have their own game they wish to make which they
would enjoy help making?

Your game looks good so far. I was just wondering, exactly what about
the game are you focusing on? I can probably guess it's the story.
Also, what kind of input are you accepting?

> I was thinking of making a computer game but I've only got a few things
> down with it. Is anybody here interested in helping?
>
> Does anybody here have their own game they wish to make which they
> would enjoy help making?

As a matter of fact, I do. I've been working on my own project in several
stages for about 8 years now. I'm building an online forum for fellow
gamers to discuss and contribute ideas to it. It had a brief run of success
before it petered out, mainly because I wasn't able to attract new members.
It's currently undergoing a redesign, mainly to add a draw to be of interest
for people to join. Right now, it's just the forum, though I plan to add
more stuff in the coming months. If you want to take a look, it's at
www.trendyhippo.com. It's not been active for a while, but you can see the
content that's been posted so far. I plan to make an official annoucement
here and other places when it's fully ready-for-press, but feel free to take
a look now. (Previously when I posted about this here, the forums were all
members-only, so you had to register in order to see anything. Now, they're
open to the public, though you still have to register in order to post.)

As for the game itself, I'm nowhere near going into full production at this
time. This is sort of a magnum opus for me, I plan to work on many smaller
projects before diving fully into this one, as it is a HUGE undertaking.
But I'm quite serious about my intent to produce this game in the future.
It may take years before I'm ready to start actual production, but
conceptual stuff is constantly in development, and I'm always looking for
more people to get involved in this. For now, have a look, and I'll let
everyone know when it's ready to go fully public.

Why is that thing on the left so dark and vibrating?

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote:
>> I was thinking of making a computer game but I've only got a few things
>> down with it. Is anybody here interested in helping?
>>
>> Does anybody here have their own game they wish to make which they
>> would enjoy help making?
>
>As a matter of fact, I do. I've been working on my own project in several
>stages for about 8 years now. I'm building an online forum for fellow
>gamers to discuss and contribute ideas to it. It had a brief run of success
>before it petered out, mainly because I wasn't able to attract new members.
>It's currently undergoing a redesign, mainly to add a draw to be of interest
>for people to join. Right now, it's just the forum, though I plan to add
>more stuff in the coming months. If you want to take a look, it's at
>www.trendyhippo.com. It's not been active for a while, but you can see the
>content that's been posted so far. I plan to make an official annoucement
>here and other places when it's fully ready-for-press, but feel free to take
>a look now. (Previously when I posted about this here, the forums were all
>members-only, so you had to register in order to see anything. Now, they're
>open to the public, though you still have to register in order to post.)
>
>As for the game itself, I'm nowhere near going into full production at this
>time. This is sort of a magnum opus for me, I plan to work on many smaller
>projects before diving fully into this one, as it is a HUGE undertaking.
>But I'm quite serious about my intent to produce this game in the future.
>It may take years before I'm ready to start actual production, but
>conceptual stuff is constantly in development, and I'm always looking for
>more people to get involved in this. For now, have a look, and I'll let
>everyone know when it's ready to go fully public.

> Why is that thing on the left so dark and vibrating?

No idea, doesn't do that here. What browser are you using? It's been
tested in IE, Firefox, and Slimbrowser. Not sure what would happen in
something else, and not about to install AOL just to find out. (Netscape is
pretty much dead by now, isn't it?) Anyhow, I'm not the webmaster, but I'll
let him know if there's any sort of problem...

That looks good. I plan on makiong a FPS, an RTS, and an RPG. I don't
know which project I'll do first though.

I'm not planning on programming the games myself, merely designing
them. I will hire people for the music, graphics, and programming once
I get the cash. I will, of course, design the key components of the
games I make, with the help, of course, of anybody willing to lend a
hand.

Starblade Riven Darksquall wrote:

> I'm not planning on programming the games myself, merely designing
> them. I will hire people for the music, graphics, and programming once
> I get the cash. I will, of course, design the key components of the
> games I make, with the help, of course, of anybody willing to lend a
> hand.

Why don't you open source the game under GPL and go from there?

Starblade Riven Darksquall wrote:

> That looks good. I plan on makiong a FPS, an RTS, and an RPG. I don't
> know which project I'll do first though.

It'd be best start off with Tetris or Break-out kinda game unless you have
years of programming experiance, or you have a very good and powerful
"Drag-and-drop" game making tools like RPG Maker 2000.

Many game-dev wannabes failed missarably because they wanna start their first
project as "The next Doom 3" or "The next Half Lif 2" while they don't even
know how to start Direct-Draw programming.

I've never thought of that. How exactly would an open source video game
work?

Starblade Riven Darksquall wrote:
> I've never thought of that. How exactly would an open source video game
> work?

You create a project. Post it on sourceforge (or its ilk) and ask for
help. Provide what information you can on the project and try to garner
support.

You are kind of protected via copywrite and GPL...kinda...but for what
you want to do, I think that should be fine (IMHO).

Does that answer your question?

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote:
>> Why is that thing on the left so dark and vibrating?
>
>No idea, doesn't do that here. What browser are you using? It's been
>tested in IE, Firefox, and Slimbrowser. Not sure what would happen in
>something else, and not about to install AOL just to find out. (Netscape is
>pretty much dead by now, isn't it?) Anyhow, I'm not the webmaster, but I'll
>let him know if there's any sort of problem...

I think my fan was too close to the monitor :p

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-22, Starblade Riven Darksquall <Starblade13@Yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've never thought of that. How exactly would an open source video game
> work?

You start by putting together a reasonably complete version which
has some promise, then you go to a site like sourceforge,
register it, put it up on freshmeat, and start churning out
version after version every week or so. Then you hope and pray
people join the mailing list and help you out.

You actually need something done though. There's no point
licensing vaporware.

shadows wrote:

> On 2005-02-22, Starblade Riven Darksquall <Starblade13@Yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I've never thought of that. How exactly would an open source video game
>>work?
>>

> You start by putting together a reasonably complete version which
> has some promise, then you go to a site like sourceforge,
> register it, put it up on freshmeat, and start churning out
> version after version every week or so. Then you hope and pray
> people join the mailing list and help you out.

The community is pretty good...esp if he is a noob...they'll get him on
his feet.

> You actually need something done though. There's no point
> licensing vaporware.

Why not there is plenty of it floating around ;-)

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-02-22, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
> shadows wrote:
>
>> On 2005-02-22, Starblade Riven Darksquall <Starblade13@Yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I've never thought of that. How exactly would an open source video game
>>>work?
>>>

>> You start by putting together a reasonably complete version which
>> has some promise, then you go to a site like sourceforge,
>> register it, put it up on freshmeat, and start churning out
>> version after version every week or so. Then you hope and pray
>> people join the mailing list and help you out.
>
> The community is pretty good...esp if he is a noob...they'll get him on
> his feet.

What are you going on about now? No one is going to help him get
anything done. It's a meritocracy. Not a free labour market. It's
also chock full of elitists and over critical achievers.

Best of luck to the OP, but you James really need to get back on
your meds and stop talking about stuff you don't
understand.

You're getting very close to my killfile.

ChoyKw wrote:

> Yeah, go ahead and killfile James, for the group's sake.
> The group will be more peaceful and neat and tidy everafter...:D

hey...I uh...ya...you're right! ;-)

James Garvin wrote:

> ChoyKw wrote:
>
> > Yeah, go ahead and killfile James, for the group's sake.
> > The group will be more peaceful and neat and tidy everafter...:D
>
> hey...I uh...ya...you're right! ;-)

Just in case you got me wrong, what I actually mean is after he killfiled you,
we will be free from his meaningless bashing on your posts, so the group is now
back to its peace and tranquility. Yay! :-D

ChoyKw wrote:

> James Garvin wrote:
>

>>ChoyKw wrote:
>>

>>>Yeah, go ahead and killfile James, for the group's sake.
>>>The group will be more peaceful and neat and tidy everafter...:D
>>
>>hey...I uh...ya...you're right! ;-)
>

> Just in case you got me wrong, what I actually mean is after he killfiled you,
> we will be free from his meaningless bashing on your posts, so the group is now
> back to its peace and tranquility. Yay! :-D

I know...I was just playing on both of us :) Shadows would be fun if
he could tone it down a little...

Well, will I make money from the game or not? How long will it take for
me to get it created? Will it be created to my specifications?

Starblade Riven Darksquall wrote:

> Well, will I make money from the game or not? How long will it take for
> me to get it created? Will it be created to my specifications?

You could make it payware or freeware. You control the development of
the game, milestones, and development cycles.

How long will it take to create the game? I don't know...It really
depends on so much there is no way to tell. I would guess no less than
a year and no more than 400 years, but I could be off. ;-)