workgroup channel vs. wireless adapter channel?

By default my MN-710 USB adapter is set on channel 6. My workgroup channel
shows as channel 10. But, I do not find where to change the workgroup
channel. I don't even know why I would want to change the workgroup
channel. Or if it works, don't mess with it?

You want to change it because you're probably not getting the full signal
strength, you're only getting a "fringe" signal. Open Network Connections,
right-click the icon representing your LAN, select Properties and on the
General tab at the top you'll see "Connect using" which will show your
adapter, and under that the Configure button. You can change the channel
there.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"LoneGolfer" <LoneGolfer@DeerTrackSouth.com> wrote in message
> By default my MN-710 USB adapter is set on channel 6. My workgroup
> channel shows as channel 10. But, I do not find where to change the
> workgroup channel. I don't even know why I would want to change the
> workgroup channel. Or if it works, don't mess with it?

Maybe I wasn't making my self clearer. My wireless adapter(s) default to
channel 6. However my workgroup MSHOME defaulted to channel 10. I wanted
to know how to change the workgroup MSHOME to channel 6. I understand for
security reasons and interference problems one might want to change the
channel numbers. I know it would make sense to have them all on the same
channel. But I want the option to change the workgroup MSHOME channel as
well.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You want to change it because you're probably not getting the full signal
> strength, you're only getting a "fringe" signal. Open Network
> Connections, right-click the icon representing your LAN, select Properties
> and on the General tab at the top you'll see "Connect using" which will
> show your adapter, and under that the Configure button. You can change
> the channel there.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Associate Expert
>

> "LoneGolfer" <LoneGolfer@DeerTrackSouth.com> wrote in message
>> By default my MN-710 USB adapter is set on channel 6. My workgroup
>> channel shows as channel 10. But, I do not find where to change the
>> workgroup channel. I don't even know why I would want to change the
>> workgroup channel. Or if it works, don't mess with it?

Your base station and computers connecting wirelessly together must match
channels. Are your talking about having one Workgroup assigned on the base
station and another on one of the computers? If you're on Windows XP on the
machine with the incorrect MSHOME Workgroup, right-click My Computer, select
Properties and then go to the Computer Name tab. In the center, you'll see
Workgroup: with the listing. If that doesn't match your base station, click
the Change button. At the bottom of the page, you can type in the matching
Workgroup, then OK your way out. You still need to make sure the wireless
adapter is set to the correct channel as I described previously.