Sign in with
Your question

How do I find the secuirty code for my wireless router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 16, 2012 4:27:12 PM

I am in the final stages of setting up my wireless router. It is asking for my "Security Code" I have entered the SSID, the pass phrase, the PIN off the router and it keeps saying the they don't match. What are they asking for when they ask for the "Security Code"?
a b 8 Security
December 16, 2012 4:54:22 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

The pass-phrase won't get you in because it#s what's used to generate the security key. Everything you need to know is in our our Sticky Post on how to find your password - also known as the wireless security key - by looking at the settings in your router. Here's a link to it:-

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38111-43-find-change-...
m
l
a b 8 Security
December 16, 2012 6:55:36 PM

When you set up your router part of the process is to generate a security key that is to be used to access the wireless part of the network. Since the wireless signal can travel a good distance someone like a neighbor can pick up the signal and access your wireless network if it's not protected by a security key. In the routers internal settings under the wireless tab and the wireless security you can find the security key. The security key is a passphrase that you make up and put into the WPA utility to generate a passphrase that is needed to access the wireless network. If you connect to the router by ethernet cable then you do not need the passphrase/security key .
m
l
!