Bouncing Stereo vs Dual Mono

Last response: in Home Audio
January 3, 2005 2:51:43 AM

I don't know how to find the old thread...

Anyway, I was very careful to make sure my test was accurate this time,
and there was clearly a difference. I mix through an board and then
back into protools as a stereo track and then bounce to disk - mainly
to add a litttle limiting for checking mixes as I know there's going to
be some limiting in mastering. For this test I bounced the stere track
without limiting and hten dragged it to two mono tracks and did the
same. It sounds like two differnt mixes. I'm not sure how many other
people work this way, but it's worth A/Bing if you do.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:28:23 PM

"Mike Caffrey" <mike@monsterisland.com> wrote in message

> I don't know how to find the old thread...
>
> Anyway, I was very careful to make sure my test was accurate this time,
> and there was clearly a difference. I mix through an board and then
> back into protools as a stereo track and then bounce to disk - mainly
> to add a litttle limiting for checking mixes as I know there's going to
> be some limiting in mastering. For this test I bounced the stere track
> without limiting and hten dragged it to two mono tracks and did the
> same. It sounds like two differnt mixes. I'm not sure how many other
> people work this way, but it's worth A/Bing if you do.

What's panning law you have set up in your defaults? I wonder if that could
be making a difference (for example, maybe it's automatically &
permanently -3 for stereo tracks, but you've got it set to -5 or whatever
for non-stereo tracks). Just a wild stab, but maybe worth checking.

Neil Henderson
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:47:37 AM

Neil Henderson wrote:

> What's panning law you have set up in your defaults? I wonder if that
could
> be making a difference (for example, maybe it's automatically &
> permanently -3 for stereo tracks, but you've got it set to -5 or
whatever
> for non-stereo tracks). Just a wild stab, but maybe worth checking.
>
> Neil Henderson

Tell me more - I don't even understand your question.

I'll look in the preference tomorrow and se eif I see anthing. What
would the differnece between -3 and -5 five be or what does it mean?
!