murdoK

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
i have a system that i am upgrading to a HT chip adn gigabyte mobo w/ raid. i have 2 seagate 80 gig drives and i was wondering hwo to setup the RAID 0. will i have to reformat both drives? will i still be able to setup partions like i have now (30, 30, 20, 80)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you'll have to reformat. Once you have your RAID array set up, you can treat the whole array as a single disk when you use partitioning software such as FDISK.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

voidedwarrenty

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
If you don't need 160gig of raw space I suggest using one 80gig on RAID0 and the other on RAID1. RAID1 is mirroring, it mirrors the contents (actively) of the HDD on RAID0. I am going to setup RAID 0 and 1, for data security, Its not for everyone, but I sure like the sound of it!

murdoK

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
yeah i need that 160 gigs... its goin to be a pain backing up that stuff... i might jsut buy a 120 gig or so and use it.. then return it:).. but thanks for the input guys

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In order to have a RAID0 and a RAID 1 cluster you would need 4 drives!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

vegandago

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
crashman, couldn't you do raid 0+1 if you formatted each drive into two 40gig partitions???

"There is no dark or light side, only power and those too weak to seek it."

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Oh man, it has been known for a while that the Seagate Barracuda IVs weren't necessarily the best performers in RAID0. I found this <A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=80" target="_new">link</A> with a cool explanation from Seagate Product Support as to why their drives might have poor performance in RAID0. I don't know about the Barracuda Vs though...