Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Neverwinter Nights Patches

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:10:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Hi

Assuming that I have just installed Neverwinter Nights and the two
addons : Which patches do I have to install ? Do I just have to
download the 1.65 patch for Hordes of the Underdark, considering that
it is the latest addon or do I also have to download the 1.65 updates
for Shadows and the original ? (I prefer to do this manually - I do
not trust auto-update routines to maintain my privacy)

Bye
Stefan
February 21, 2005 9:10:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Stefan Malte Schumacher" <s.schumacher@netcologne.de> wrote in message
news:gpkpe2-ejg.ln1@drachenhorst.fantasy.net...
>
> Hi
>
> Assuming that I have just installed Neverwinter Nights and the two
> addons : Which patches do I have to install ? Do I just have to
> download the 1.65 patch for Hordes of the Underdark, considering that
> it is the latest addon or do I also have to download the 1.65 updates
> for Shadows and the original ? (I prefer to do this manually - I do
> not trust auto-update routines to maintain my privacy)
>
> Bye
> Stefan

Stefan, you just need the Horde patch. It contains all the fixes from the
other patches.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:10:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:

> Hi
>
> Assuming that I have just installed Neverwinter Nights and the two
> addons : Which patches do I have to install ? Do I just have to
> download the 1.65 patch for Hordes of the Underdark, considering that
> it is the latest addon or do I also have to download the 1.65 updates
> for Shadows and the original ? (I prefer to do this manually - I do
> not trust auto-update routines to maintain my privacy)

Do the auto-update. You get that plus some other content to go along
with that.

The question is:
Do you have SOU and HotU?
Related resources
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:10:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Stefan Malte Schumacher" <s.schumacher@netcologne.de> wrote in message
news:gpkpe2-ejg.ln1@drachenhorst.fantasy.net...
>
> Hi
>
> Assuming that I have just installed Neverwinter Nights and the two
> addons : Which patches do I have to install ? Do I just have to
> download the 1.65 patch for Hordes of the Underdark, considering that
> it is the latest addon or do I also have to download the 1.65 updates
> for Shadows and the original ? (I prefer to do this manually - I do
> not trust auto-update routines to maintain my privacy)
>
> Bye
> Stefan
>

don't be so paranoid and just use the auto-update. they don't install a spy
program on your machine, they don't take system or personal information or
anything else, they check your version and patch it. period.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:10:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Melketh wrote:

> "Stefan Malte Schumacher" <s.schumacher@netcologne.de> wrote in message
> news:gpkpe2-ejg.ln1@drachenhorst.fantasy.net...
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Assuming that I have just installed Neverwinter Nights and the two
>>addons : Which patches do I have to install ? Do I just have to
>>download the 1.65 patch for Hordes of the Underdark, considering that
>>it is the latest addon or do I also have to download the 1.65 updates
>>for Shadows and the original ? (I prefer to do this manually - I do
>>not trust auto-update routines to maintain my privacy)
>>
>>Bye
>>Stefan
>>
>
>
> don't be so paranoid and just use the auto-update. they don't install a spy
> program on your machine, they don't take system or personal information or
> anything else, they check your version and patch it. period.

Plus you get some extra content with the update. You get Witches Wake
and the Bioware News Letters you may have missed. Plus you get some
other stuff that is pretty cool (like various updates on the splash
screen and some other goodies)
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:04:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

>
> Stefan, you just need the Horde patch. It contains all the fixes
from the
> other patches.



Hmm, are you 100 % sure on this ? Just compare the filesizes :

Original 1.65 Update : 86 MB
Shadows 1.65 Update : 81,3 Mb
Hordes 1.65 Update : 66,3 Mb

Bye
Stefan
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:04:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:
>>Stefan, you just need the Horde patch. It contains all the fixes
>
> from the
>
>>other patches.
>
>
>
>
> Hmm, are you 100 % sure on this ? Just compare the filesizes :
>
> Original 1.65 Update : 86 MB
> Shadows 1.65 Update : 81,3 Mb
> Hordes 1.65 Update : 66,3 Mb

If you have installed HotU that is the only patch you need. HotU
patches some of the previous bugs and that is why the patch is smaller.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 3:21:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

James Garvin wrote:
> Melketh wrote:
>
>> "Stefan Malte Schumacher" <s.schumacher@netcologne.de> wrote in message
>> news:gpkpe2-ejg.ln1@drachenhorst.fantasy.net...
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Assuming that I have just installed Neverwinter Nights and the two
>>> addons : Which patches do I have to install ? Do I just have to
>>> download the 1.65 patch for Hordes of the Underdark, considering that
>>> it is the latest addon or do I also have to download the 1.65 updates
>>> for Shadows and the original ? (I prefer to do this manually - I do
>>> not trust auto-update routines to maintain my privacy)
>>>
>>> Bye
>>> Stefan
>>>
>>
>>
>> don't be so paranoid and just use the auto-update. they don't install
>> a spy
>> program on your machine, they don't take system or personal
>> information or
>> anything else, they check your version and patch it. period.
>
>
> Plus you get some extra content with the update. You get Witches Wake
> and the Bioware News Letters you may have missed. Plus you get some
> other stuff that is pretty cool (like various updates on the splash
> screen and some other goodies)

I agree. Auto-update all the way (expecially since the downloads are
much smaller too).

I really don't understand all this paranoia about automatic downloading
in games. Perhaps sp,e people should be less ignorrant and learn a bit
more about how things works.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:37:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> I really don't understand all this paranoia about automatic downloading
> in games. Perhaps sp,e people should be less ignorrant and learn a bit
> more about how things works.

How are you supposed to learn more about "how things work" when the
Update-Routine as part of Neverwinter Nights is proprietary,
closed-source software ? Considering the way big business disrespects
people's privacy I don't think its paranoia to be careful with giving
out information - its just plain common sense. I have never used the
"Register"-function of any games and I would never buy stuff like
Half-Life 2. Besides, classical patches are easier to re-apply after a
new-installation and can be archived and distributed. Neverwinter
Nights still has the option to download patches but just assume I want
to play Half-Life 2 in 10 years. Steam will have been closed down and where
do I get my updates then ?

Bye
Stefan
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:37:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:

>>I really don't understand all this paranoia about automatic downloading
>>in games. Perhaps sp,e people should be less ignorrant and learn a bit
>>more about how things works.
>
>
> How are you supposed to learn more about "how things work" when the
> Update-Routine as part of Neverwinter Nights is proprietary,
> closed-source software ? Considering the way big business disrespects
> people's privacy I don't think its paranoia to be careful with giving
> out information - its just plain common sense. I have never used the
> "Register"-function of any games and I would never buy stuff like
> Half-Life 2. Besides, classical patches are easier to re-apply after a
> new-installation and can be archived and distributed. Neverwinter
> Nights still has the option to download patches but just assume I want
> to play Half-Life 2 in 10 years. Steam will have been closed down and where
> do I get my updates then ?

Huh? Where will you get your NWN patches? Anyway, it only makes sense
to dl the patches from the update function. It patches your game AND
gives you content, without giving away any information...what more could
you want?
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:34:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 03:37:08 -0000, s.schumacher@netcologne.de (Stefan
Malte Schumacher) wrote:

>
>> I really don't understand all this paranoia about automatic downloading
>> in games. Perhaps sp,e people should be less ignorrant and learn a bit
>> more about how things works.
>
>How are you supposed to learn more about "how things work" when the
>Update-Routine as part of Neverwinter Nights is proprietary,
>closed-source software ? Considering the way big business disrespects
>people's privacy I don't think its paranoia to be careful with giving
>out information - its just plain common sense. I have never used the
>"Register"-function of any games and I would never buy stuff like
>Half-Life 2. Besides, classical patches are easier to re-apply after a
>new-installation and can be archived and distributed. Neverwinter
>Nights still has the option to download patches but just assume I want
>to play Half-Life 2 in 10 years. Steam will have been closed down and where
>do I get my updates then ?
>

( With Steam closed down, you won't ever be able to re-install and
play HL2 anyway, so the non-existence of updates becomes totally
academic........ )

The NWN 1.65 patches are available on www.3dgamers.com. However,
the accompanying documentation is extremely confusing as to which
patches to load, if say, you have the Neverwinter Nights Platinum
Pack... which only goes to 1.62, regardless of the packaging
statement "All patches and updates".

If anybody knows EXACTLY which of the <<stand-alone>> patches
(as per www.3dgamers.com, or as per Bioware's website..) needs to
be loaded to bring the PLATINUM pack fully up-to-date ( excluding
the "extra bells and whistles" content ), I'm sure that would be
very useful information for those not comfortable with auto-update
( or with dial-up bandwidth at home but able to downloaded the
patches to CD-R at work, or at friend's house ) .

The Platinum pack (CD or DVD) is the version of Neverwinter Nights
now most commonly available. However, Bioware's patch documentation
does not clearly delineate the patch(es) needed to fully update it.

The Bioware patch documentation is currently a very confusing cut
and paste mess. It may be OK for those having separately bought
the original and the 2 add-ons... but for those with Gold
or Platinum packs wishing to install them and then update,
without using auto-update.... not clear at all..

John Lewis


>Bye
>Stefan
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:34:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

John Lewis wrote:

> The Bioware patch documentation is currently a very confusing cut
> and paste mess. It may be OK for those having separately bought
> the original and the 2 add-ons... but for those with Gold
> or Platinum packs wishing to install them and then update,
> without using auto-update.... not clear at all..

Uh doesn't Gold come with NWN and SOU and Platinum come with NWN, SOU,
and HotU? I think it is pretty easy to figure out what patch you need
if you have installed the games????

If you installed ONLY NWN, get the NWN patch.
If you installed ONLY NWN and SOU, get the SOU patch
If you installed ALL THREE (NWN, SOU, and HotU) get the HotU patch.

I'm not sure what is confusing.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:56:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

James Garvin wrote:
> John Lewis wrote:
>
>> The Bioware patch documentation is currently a very confusing cut and
>> paste mess. It may be OK for those having separately bought
>> the original and the 2 add-ons... but for those with Gold or Platinum
>> packs wishing to install them and then update,
>> without using auto-update.... not clear at all..
>
>
> Uh doesn't Gold come with NWN and SOU and Platinum come with NWN, SOU,
> and HotU? I think it is pretty easy to figure out what patch you need
> if you have installed the games????
>
> If you installed ONLY NWN, get the NWN patch.
> If you installed ONLY NWN and SOU, get the SOU patch
> If you installed ALL THREE (NWN, SOU, and HotU) get the HotU patch.
>
> I'm not sure what is confusing.

Curious fact: the Platinum version (IIRC) is actually installed with
verion 1.63, which is interesting since there ISN'T a patch for 1.63
(i.e. 1.63 is unique to the Platinum pack!) This can occasionally
confuse the updater in my experience, as it won't be able to find the
patch to get from 1.63 to 1.65, although it does jump through several
ftp sites and eventually finds the right one.

BioWare's patches can be a little confusing when you check the
filenames, but if you're smart you can actually work out the ftp site
the updater logs into, and you can manually download the appropriate
patch file, dump it into your NWN folder and run the updater even when
not connected to the net. The updater will find the patch file and start
installing it. Very useful IF you know what to get.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:56:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:56:06 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>James Garvin wrote:
>> John Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> The Bioware patch documentation is currently a very confusing cut and
>>> paste mess. It may be OK for those having separately bought
>>> the original and the 2 add-ons... but for those with Gold or Platinum
>>> packs wishing to install them and then update,
>>> without using auto-update.... not clear at all..
>>
>>
>> Uh doesn't Gold come with NWN and SOU and Platinum come with NWN, SOU,
>> and HotU? I think it is pretty easy to figure out what patch you need
>> if you have installed the games????
>>
>> If you installed ONLY NWN, get the NWN patch.
>> If you installed ONLY NWN and SOU, get the SOU patch
>> If you installed ALL THREE (NWN, SOU, and HotU) get the HotU patch.
>>
>> I'm not sure what is confusing
>
>Curious fact: the Platinum version (IIRC) is actually installed with
>verion 1.63, which is interesting since there ISN'T a patch for 1.63
>(i.e. 1.63 is unique to the Platinum pack!) This can occasionally
>confuse the updater in my experience, as it won't be able to find the
>patch to get from 1.63 to 1.65, although it does jump through several
>ftp sites and eventually finds the right one.
>
>BioWare's patches can be a little confusing when you check the
>filenames,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>but if you're smart you can actually work out the ftp site
>the updater logs into, and you can manually download the appropriate
>patch file, dump it into your NWN folder and run the updater even when
>not connected to the net. The updater will find the patch file and start
>installing it. Very useful IF you know what to get.


Seems very useful advice....tell me all about it..... step-by-step....
I'm not smart............

John Lewis
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 3:09:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

John Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:56:06 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>
>>James Garvin wrote:
>>
>>>John Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>The Bioware patch documentation is currently a very confusing cut and
>>>>paste mess. It may be OK for those having separately bought
>>>>the original and the 2 add-ons... but for those with Gold or Platinum
>>>>packs wishing to install them and then update,
>>>>without using auto-update.... not clear at all..
>>>
>>>
>>>Uh doesn't Gold come with NWN and SOU and Platinum come with NWN, SOU,
>>>and HotU? I think it is pretty easy to figure out what patch you need
>>>if you have installed the games????
>>>
>>>If you installed ONLY NWN, get the NWN patch.
>>>If you installed ONLY NWN and SOU, get the SOU patch
>>>If you installed ALL THREE (NWN, SOU, and HotU) get the HotU patch.
>>>
>>>I'm not sure what is confusing
>>
>>Curious fact: the Platinum version (IIRC) is actually installed with
>>verion 1.63, which is interesting since there ISN'T a patch for 1.63
>>(i.e. 1.63 is unique to the Platinum pack!) This can occasionally
>>confuse the updater in my experience, as it won't be able to find the
>>patch to get from 1.63 to 1.65, although it does jump through several
>>ftp sites and eventually finds the right one.
>>
>>BioWare's patches can be a little confusing when you check the
>>filenames,
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>but if you're smart you can actually work out the ftp site
>>the updater logs into, and you can manually download the appropriate
>>patch file, dump it into your NWN folder and run the updater even when
>>not connected to the net. The updater will find the patch file and start
>>installing it. Very useful IF you know what to get.
>
>
>
> Seems very useful advice....tell me all about it..... step-by-step....
> I'm not smart............
>
> John Lewis
>

Well, since I don't play NWN this is going to be a little tricky, so try
to follow carefully:

If you run the updater program when you're NOT connected to the net, it
will fail obviously. I'm not sure the level of detail that is displayed
in the updater when it fails, but I know that if you hold down the
alt/shift/ctrl key (not sure which one, try in that order) at the same
time as you click the update button in the updater program, you'll get
more verbose regarding what the program is doing.

You'll hopefully see an FTP server displayed which the program is trying
to connect to. Copy the FTP address into a web browser (or better yet, a
proper FTP client), connect to the net and connect to the server.
Navigate through the folders to where the neverwinter nights patches are
stored for your language (explore around a little).

Now comes the confusing part: you need to download the zip file that
matches your installation. I'll assume you have NWN, SoU and HotU all
installed to make things easier. First, check what version of the game
is installed (run the updater again and check the FULL version number at
the top). Now, find the same version number in the list of files in the
FTP server. You'll find several probably. You then need to find those
that have the number 12 in them as well (incidating expansion packs 1
and 2 are already installed). Download the file that contains these
requirements, dump the zip file (do NOT unpack) into your
NWN/NeverwinterNights folder where the rest of your installation resides.

Disconnect from the net, run the updater, and there you go. Whew!
!