Closed Solved

Windows

Hi, I am trying to find out if I can add my Sharp AL-1540 to my home network. I have been using the sharp as a stand alone unit, but now want to use it as a network printer/scanner. I am running Windows7 64 bit with a linksys router. Is there any hope for me?
Thanks
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows
  1. Yes; there is hope for you.

Do you already have a Homegroup on your network?

Set up a home network in Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/start-here-to-set-up-a-home-network-in-windows-7
  2. if it works as a standalone printer then it should work as a network printer

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing

then try adding a network printer on your other pcs

or if they are all windows 7 try a homegroup
  3. Thanks guys, I will look into doing that. At the same time I might have mislead you a bit. When I said stand alone I meant, not hooked up to a computer. I use the Sharp as a photocopier only. So I also need to find drivers, and I do not know where to look. I tried Sharp, and they do not have anything for the AL-1540
    Hope I have made my issue clearer.
    Mike
  4. this model I think does not have the ability to work without a PC. You could try buying a print server and plugging it in to that. But to be honest you can but a full network ready printer these days for the same cost.
  5. Best answer
    If you don't want to share it from a PC, you need to get a USB to eithernet print server, which run about $30+. That will only get you basic printing functions though, not scanning.

To use network scanning you need to get a model with built-in network capability.

I don't think you can share a scanner over the network like a local printer either, so if you share that system off a PC, you don't need to get a print server, but you won't be able to scan to it either way.
  6. Thanks everyone for the help
    Mike
  7. Best answer selected by 333mike.
  8. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Sharp Network Printer Windows 7