Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wirless Router Only allows one Device or it crashes, Any fixes?

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Laptops
  • Devices
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
February 3, 2013 6:21:49 PM

I have a wgr614 V6 router, yes its old. I had 3 devices connected to it just fine before without any issues. But now It only allows my laptop, when I try to connect with my ipod touch or desktop, not only does it fail, the entire network crashes and my laptop loses it and its gone. It then takes about 2 minutes to come back up. So whenever I attempt to connect with another device the network crashes. so right now only my laptop is connected.

I downloaded & updated to the newest firmware, did not work.
I tried resetting the router, and made the network all over again, did NOT work.
I tried doing "wireless B only", did not work. Any ideas?


Not sure what to do?
Thanks

More about : wirless router device crashes fixes

a b D Laptop
February 3, 2013 7:24:29 PM

You tried firmware and resetting, dd-wrt is not an option, so your options are limited.

Can you make multiple wired connections, or one wired and one wireless without issues?
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 8:30:05 PM

RealBeast said:
You tried firmware and resetting, dd-wrt is not an option, so your options are limited.

Can you make multiple wired connections, or one wired and one wireless without issues?



Yes I can make multiple wired connections, but I'd like to be able to connect my ipod touch and Smart TV, and laptop all wirelessly, dont know what to try
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2013 8:49:50 PM

TV is the problem, and can even be an issue wired if you don't have a fast Internet connection. If you have a fast enough connection, then try to get the TV taken care of with a different connection than 2.4GHz wireless and leave that for everything else, unless your TV adapter can also use 5GHz, which can then be set up for that purpose.

I faced the same dilemma some time back due to TV streaming and the minimum that worked was an N router with a 40MHz wide channel that eats over 80% of the entire N radio frequency. Fortunately, I don't have any neighbors that want to use 2.4GHz for anything. I had to turn off a couple of wireless APs that caused interference and later upgraded them to 5GHz. I've done a number of installs for others where I had to go to 5GHz for enough clear bandwidth to make it work well.

Wired works well, but is often an issue of cannot get an Ethernet there, at least easily. Powerline doesn't work well at all for TVs. MOCA works well but is expensive, and the latest -- 802.11ac with a router and media bridge at 5GHz with an 80MHz wide channel works great, but is also quite expensive ($380 for the two ASUS routers needed).
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 9:05:36 PM

RealBeast said:
TV is the problem, and can even be an issue wired if you don't have a fast Internet connection. If you have a fast enough connection, then try to get the TV taken care of with a different connection than 2.4GHz wireless and leave that for everything else, unless your TV adapter can also use 5GHz, which can then be set up for that purpose.

I faced the same dilemma some time back due to TV streaming and the minimum that worked was an N router with a 40MHz wide channel that eats over 80% of the entire N radio frequency. Fortunately, I don't have any neighbors that want to use 2.4GHz for anything. I had to turn off a couple of wireless APs that caused interference and later upgraded them to 5GHz. I've done a number of installs for others where I had to go to 5GHz for enough clear bandwidth to make it work well.

Wired works well, but is often an issue of cannot get an Ethernet there, at least easily. Powerline doesn't work well at all for TVs. MOCA works well but is expensive, and the latest -- 802.11ac with a router and media bridge at 5GHz with an 80MHz wide channel works great, but is also quite expensive ($380 for the two ASUS routers needed).



Well the thing is even when I turn my TV off I still can not connect other devices like my ipod touch, and its never done this before. I just tried deleting the network from my TV and I'm still having the same issue, as soon as I bring up my ipod touch and try to connect the ipod says "failed" and then the whole network crashes. So I don't know what the heck it is, there must be some setting I can change in the router settings 192.168.1.1 that would make it work again, but I dont know what cause I never touched any of it.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
February 3, 2013 10:09:05 PM

Do you have enough addresses allotted to the DHCP server to have the number of devices that you use?

What brand and model is your router?
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 11:32:10 PM

RealBeast said:
Do you have enough addresses allotted to the DHCP server to have the number of devices that you use?

What brand and model is your router?



Yes, Im only trying to connect like 2 or 3 devices, it has never been an issue before, it just came up recently. I have a feeling I will not find a solution other than just to but a new router, but thought I'd try asking online just incase.


Its a netgear wgr614 V6
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2013 1:04:44 PM

Sorry, had a brain squeeze -- saw your router and checked it out before the dd-wrt mention.

I agree that it is probably time for a new router, although I would probably get something inexpensive with G/N wireless with a plan to upgrade to AC in a few years when prices come down and you have adapters that run AC. Whether you spend the extra for 5GHz really depends on whether your adapters handle it already or if you want to spend that much to upgrade those also.

Something like a D-Link Dir-655 on a good sale around $50 or so is a good router. I've also used a bunch of $25-35 Trendnet and TPLink 2.4GHz band N routers as APs and they have worked very well and no installs have had any issues.
m
0
l
!