Residential Wireless device to device mps bandwith limits

Rap286

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
What might a user expect for an upper mps or data bandwidth limit from a wireless device to a wireless device (PC to PC, Wireless Switch to PC, etc.)?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
That mostly depends on the type of traffic. The absolute best would be if you were to stream data from one machine to the other with no return traffic at all.

Wireless is a a single transmitter at a time. When you have 2 machines talking via the router you have 1 transmission to the router and a second from the router to the second pc.

So you absolute maximum would be 1/2 the connection bandwidth. If there is any overlap or if the pc must acknowledge reception of the data then you greatly cut your rates. Any overlap causes errors and you must retransmit. This can quickly cascade and you can get long delays.

This does not even consider all the issues wireless has with signal levels and encoding. If for example all your equipment cannot run the same options related to channel width or guard band length you will be reduce to the slowest common rate. Of course low signal levels and/or interference greatly reduces the rates also.

Rap286

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
My interest is one way streaming (of a static video graphic image) across a short distance with no signal interference degradation. Just duplicating PC screen's VGA feed ... and wireless VGA sending PC screen image to a near by wireless VGA receiver ... directly interconnected to VGA to HDMI.DVI-D converter ... to feed a 42 inch screen HDMI input. Simple concept but tedious, a little pricy and risky from a many device cascade interaction possibility. “no wires” between these screens is the required objective. Thanks for your input. Back to my early question ... what might the mps or data bandwidth be ... across a typical wireless pathway or will the 42 inch flawlessly display track the smaller local PC screen? Cannot use typical Windows, IT, Net, or Cloud systems. PC is dedicated and running unique industrial control software.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You could in theory get 450m and you maybe could get that in a application like yours. You would have to have the sender transmit as a broadcast and have the receiver be 100% passive and only receive. Since encryption requires 2 way communication it is likely you cannot encrypt it.

There is likely a device on the market that will do what you want but it most likely will not use 802.11 protocols. It will run on the same public frequencies but run a proprietary protocol. This is how many commercial wireless security cameras work.

Rap286

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Thanks again for your assistance. I expect you are correct about the wireless speed and I am guessing the Gefen wireless VGA to VGA TX/RX equipment I will likely try to use may be handling handshaking ... or not dealing with it ... based upon a user's application. A Gefen Wireless VGA Extender apparently allows a VGA display or projector to be conveniently located up to 100 feet away from the source. Their VGA Extender claims signal transmission through walls at resolutions of up to 1280x1024, with 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n wireless network technology.

Sounds great, but how stable and reliable are many of today's available black boxes?

My need is one way transmission and my hope is I will end up with a stable reproduction of the industrial PCs screen at a 20' line of sight 42" screen target. Stability is critical and avoiding a need to reboot a wireless link now and then is super important to me. Thanks again for your assistance.