DNS lookup failed

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Searched the forums, couldn't find anything, links to past threads are welcome though.

So at times my computer will not browse the internet (attempting with google chrome and it says DNS lookup failed)

I had torrents going and it's still going at good speed, then disabled it and checked if internet came back, it didn't.

before the thing went down, I opened a livestream and was still watching it, that didn't stop when the DNS thing happened.

I checked the router GUI and it showed my computer is still connected to the router.

I scanned the computer for viruses and that came back clean

I plugged a USB wifi adapter to the computer, and it still didn't work (the adapter works on other machines

I don't have the problem right now but I'm wondering if anyone has a theory on what might be wrong, and how it might be fixed

thanks in advance

EDIT: tried using 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 as DNS server, that didn't work

EDIT: also tried pinging yahoo (98.138.253.109), that timed out, pinging router (192.168.1.254) timed out as well. pinging localhost (127.0.0.1) still works

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You may have a issue with your ISP DNS service. Try to use one of the public DNS servers like 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.2. From a command prompt you can test with a command called NSLOOKUP. It will attempt to use your DNS servers by default but you can key in other ones. If the public ones work you can change your settings in your router while you yell at your ISP to fix their stuff. Torrent will work because it uses IP address and not names.