Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows not seeing my usb 3.0 drive upon boot

Last response: in Windows 7
June 3, 2012 2:27:58 PM

Hi.

I didn't really know if this is the correct forum to ask, but my usb 3.0 drive (Western Digital) is not being seen upon boot into Windows 7 on my homebuilt system. If I plug it into the usb 3.0 port after it is booted, Windows will see it and initialize it, etc, but not if it's alreay plugged in when I first turn on the computer. My comp specs are below.

comp:
ASUS P8P67 mobo (standard, not Pro)
intel i2500k CPU
8 gigs Ram
500 gig WD main drive
ATI vid card (can't remember model off hand)

More about : windows usb drive boot

a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2012 2:39:13 PM

Hello keto6789;

Did your WD external drive come with any software that needed loading?
m
l
June 3, 2012 3:01:32 PM

WR2 said:
Hello keto6789;

Did your WD external drive come with any software that needed loading?

I don't believe so. Like I said, if I'm already IN Windows and plug the drive into the usb 3.0 Windows will pick up the drive. If the drive is already plugged into the usb 3.0 port and Windows boots, it won't be shown under "My Computer".
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2012 3:30:29 PM

The reason I asked is you mentioned "Windows will see it and initialize it" after you boot. Win7 doesn't seem to have what it needs to understand what is attached and that suggests it doesn't have any info on the drive in the registry.

On my external drives that never happens. They're 'present and correct for duty' even before Windows is fully running.
m
l
June 3, 2012 3:53:48 PM

Yeah, another thing is that if I have the drive plugged into the usb 3.0 port and boot it hangs at the BIOS screen for about 2 or 3 minutes before finally booting Windows 7. I'm thinking maybe the BIOS isn't seeing it or something ....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2012 3:55:26 PM

Try one of the USB 2.0 ports and see if it behaves differently.
m
l
June 3, 2012 4:06:44 PM

Very simple why this happens. The Intel P67 chip on your motherboard only supplies USB 2 ports. The board uses an (optional) NEC chip to provide (4) USB 3 ports, and this needs a driver which is loaded by the Operating System.

So, the USB ports are not available at boot time, until Windows has loaded .... that's why you see them only after Windows has loaded. That said, you can plug your device into a USB 2 port, if you really need it at boot time. It will work, just more slowly.
m
l
June 3, 2012 5:19:45 PM

burpnrun said:
Very simple why this happens. The Intel P67 chip on your motherboard only supplies USB 2 ports. The board uses an (optional) NEC chip to provide (4) USB 3 ports, and this needs a driver which is loaded by the Operating System.

So, the USB ports are not available at boot time, until Windows has loaded .... that's why you see them only after Windows has loaded. That said, you can plug your device into a USB 2 port, if you really need it at boot time. It will work, just more slowly.

I don't see them after boot unless I plug them in after Windows boots. Also, usb 2.0 works with NO issues whatsover.

So, I guess I have to keep waiting until Windows boots and then plugging in my external drive to the usb 3.0 port ..... yuck .... maybe better to just keep using 2.0 port.

I don't need the device at "boot times", I just leave it plugged in to the usb all the time for back up. If I want to take advantage of ubs 3.0, I'm gonna have to keep unplugging and plugging it back in every time I turn on my pc, which is everyday.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2012 5:23:37 PM

My suggestion is to use the USB 2.0 port.
You can do some testing between the 3.0 and 2.0 ports.
I don't think you'd notice much in the way of performance difference.
m
l
June 3, 2012 5:44:10 PM

WR2 said:
My suggestion is to use the USB 2.0 port.
You can do some testing between the 3.0 and 2.0 ports.
I don't think you'd notice much in the way of performance difference.

If you're doing backups I think the usb 3.0 is A LOT quicker at copying stuff though. I can still use the usb 3.0, I'll just have to plug the drive in AFTER Windows loads. I just though that there may be a way to boot with it plugged in without the BIOS hang and then Windows not picking it up. I guess it's not good to have the drive plugged in all the time though, although I always just leave it in the ubs 2.0 port, cause I'm lazy I guess lol.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2012 5:48:12 PM

That would work.
USB 2.0 day-to-day. USB 3.0 when you have an extra special heavy workload.
June 3, 2012 7:43:58 PM

Best answer selected by keto6789.
m
l
!