--

Knight37

More about dungeon lords preview

    On 2005-02-23, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

    > I just finished up my Dungeon Lords Preview for www.gamechronicles.com.
    > It's not up yet, I'll post again when it is. However, I thought if you have
    > any specific questions about this title, I am in a pretty good position to
    > be able to answer them.

    Well I just checked out their preview of MxO and I'm pretty
    amazed the previewer gave it such praise. MxO has been begging
    for beta testers because apparently it's more fun to poke a
    needle in your eye.

    > My summary is: It's going to be a pretty damn good action/RPG, emphasis on
    > the action. The melee system is pretty damn slick. You are going to need
    > some twitch skills to succeed at this game, though. There are a lot of RPG
    > elements in it, however, the character advancement system is very cool, and
    > there seems to be a decent story and quests and such like a typical RPG.
    > The magic system is probably the game's best feature, which offers 4
    > completely different styles of magic.

    Too bad about the twitch skills.

    so is it a diablo clone?

    Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:

    > I just finished up my Dungeon Lords Preview for
    > www.gamechronicles.com. It's not up yet, I'll post again when it is.
    > However, I thought if you have any specific questions about this
    > title, I am in a pretty good position to be able to answer them.

    http://www.gamechronicles.com/previews/pc/dungeonlords/dungeonlords.htm

    That's the full preview. It's semi-longish, I went into more detail than
    some of the other sites have.

    Let me know what you think about it and also if you have any questions
    about the game that preview doesn't answer.

    --

    Knight37

    On 25 Feb 2005 07:03:40 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

    >Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> I just finished up my Dungeon Lords Preview for
    >> www.gamechronicles.com. It's not up yet, I'll post again when it is.
    >> However, I thought if you have any specific questions about this
    >> title, I am in a pretty good position to be able to answer them.
    >
    >http://www.gamechronicles.com/previews/pc/dungeonlords/dungeonlords.htm
    >
    >That's the full preview. It's semi-longish, I went into more detail than
    >some of the other sites have.
    >
    >Let me know what you think about it and also if you have any questions
    >about the game that preview doesn't answer.

    I wanted to thank you specifically for that preview.

    I have a problem with many previews as they don't detail the work to
    be done in too many cases, just glossing over issues because ... well,
    because it isn't done yet.

    I am hoping that DreamCatcher / Heuristic Park / DWBradley read it and
    take it to heart ... I am hopeful for a very good game in Dungeon
    Lords, and I hope that in some rush to hit a date they don't lose
    sight of releasing a quality game.

    Mike

    On 25 Feb 2005 06:02:55 -0800, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

    >so is it a diablo clone?

    Did you read the article?

    It actually looks more like Gothic, but with a Jedi Knight II / Blade
    of Darkness style combat system, and a pretty unique skill system, and
    a 'keyword' dialogue system.

    Mike

    can't read the article, at office behind a firewall (that lets me read
    dejanews at least)

    wolfing1@yahoo.com once tried to test me with:

    > so is it a diablo clone?

    It is nothing like Diablo, actually.

    It is essentially a third-person behind-the-shoulder action game, similar
    to say, hmm... well there aren't a lot like it on the PC anyway. But it has
    strong RPG elements to it. It's definitely action-oriented. You use your
    mouse and keyboard in real-time to fight multiple creatures in real-time
    and you have different moves you can make with combinations of key+mouse,
    etc. You have ranged attacks and also melee. The ranged attack have some
    kind of auto-aiming which I didn't mention in the article but this kind of
    irked me a bit (I'd prefer to have had a aim-cursor with no auto-aiming,
    but I'm comfortable with action games). Most of the skills in the game
    directly relate to your combat abilities. A few relate to
    traps/locks/sneaking/etc. And some for other stuff but at least 90% of the
    skills are for combat.

    The game has a decent story from what I can gleem so far.

    Hopefully you can read the article.

    --

    Knight37

    Michael Anderson <txa1265@spymac.com> once tried to test me with:

    > On 25 Feb 2005 06:02:55 -0800, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>so is it a diablo clone?
    >
    > Did you read the article?
    >
    > It actually looks more like Gothic, but with a Jedi Knight II / Blade
    > of Darkness style combat system, and a pretty unique skill system, and
    > a 'keyword' dialogue system.

    Blade of Darkness is a good thing to compare it to.

    Gothic, not so much, there isn't the depth of game world (at least not as I
    can tell) like Gothic has, with the multiple, non-linear questing and NPcs
    with their own schedules, etc. Gothic has action-elements but essentially
    it's mostly a story-oriented RPG, whereas Dungeon Lords is primarily
    action, and with RPG elements but most of those elements exist to support
    the action. I'm expecting a good story, but I expect the game to be 90%
    combat or so.

    --

    Knight37

PC gaming Games RPG Video Games