ATA IDE Cables Query

Cruthin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Are all ATA IDE cables born equal? Until recently I always believed that 40 pin (80 conductor) ATA IDE cables were all the same. What I mean by this is that the same cable would work at any speed (ATA 66 or ATA 100 or ATA 133), depending of course upon the Hard Disk Controller and the Hard Disk.

Recently, I have seen in various catalogs and on certain web sites different ATA IDE cables available for sale. They would have ATA 66 cables listed at one price, ATA 100 cables listed at another price, etc. Generally, the description would state that the cables are backward compatible (as you would expect). Does anyone know if there is an actual difference or is it maybe just marketing? Also, do you know of any links stating this for a fact (maybe whitepapers)?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
ATA66 cables 40pin/40wire cables. ATA100 and 133 are 40pin/80wire cables. In both cases the number of conduting wires is the same, the extra wires in the ATA100 / 133 cables are to reduce ESI between conducting cables. Information on the ATA standards can be found at <A HREF="http://www.t13.org/" target="_new">www.t13.org</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
selling ata66 and ata100 cables as different things is just crap.

There are only two specifications:
ata33 40wire cables, and ata66/100/133 80wire ones.

Of course you can get them in different lengths,
18" is stock (and maximum official length), as well as 24" 30 or even 36", which is WAY OVER the official max length and thus just asking for trouble.

Also, you can get cables with only one drive connector, used to save a $ or two or for use in raid arrays with one device per channel.

Then there are rounded IDE cables, and they usually come in different lengths, as well as shielded and unshielded.

<b>Despite the huge top speeds, amazing acceleration and incredible G-Forces of Top Fuel Dragsters, a standed riced up Lancer often has a larger rear wing.</b>

Cruthin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
I have posted this same message on several different boards and I'm getting conflicting answers. Some say there is a difference, others say there isn't. I personally don't think there is a difference in ATA 66/100/133 cables (40 wire - 80 con). If someone has a definite answer (with proof) it would be of great help. It would also help me to say to our suppliers that we're not paying extra for cables that are rated to work with ATA 100/133.

I understand about the length issue being offically 18".

Thanks guys.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
honestly there is no diff. ive used the same 80wire cables for ata66 ata100 and ata 133 drives.

<b>Despite the huge top speeds, amazing acceleration and incredible G-Forces of Top Fuel Dragsters, a standed riced up Lancer often has a larger rear wing.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They are physically the same, your board will set to the highest speed available no matter which 80-wire cable you use. It is possible that some cables were simply tested to the higher speed, but not likely.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

zepper

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
If you want to get the straight poop, go to <A HREF="http://www.ieee.org" target="_new">http://www.ieee.org</A> and check out the spec! But the others here are correct. The old cable is good for anything up to ATA33, the new cable is good for anything up to ATA133. And 18" is the spec. max length for ATA33-133.
.bh.

----------
Perhaps the only reason for your existence is to act as a warning to others...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well you know it twice as good now :smile: