Raid question

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Ok I have a maxtor 80 gb <b>2 mb</b> cache 7200 rpm drive on my raid controller as a single drive .. if I purchase a maxtor 80 gb 7200 rpm <b>8mb</b> cache unit can I use the 2 drives in a raid 0 configuration ???

<b><font color=blue>Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most </b></font color=blue>

voidedwarrenty

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Yes, you normally want identical drives on the RAID Arrays. I don't think the difference in cache will make a difference, however, the 2mb cache HDD might hamper the 8mb cache HDD. I'm not sure, RAID combines both physical drives as one logical drive. I think performance should be fine. Someone correct me if I am wrong..

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
according to the FAQ above which I read after posting ( ya ya I should know better lol) I can do this ok

<b><font color=blue>Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most </b></font color=blue>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
ok another related question would the 8 mb cache one outperform the 2mb one would there be any difference ??

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
come now lagger. You know the 8mb version is significantly faster :)

<b>Despite the huge top speeds, amazing acceleration and incredible G-Forces of Top Fuel Dragsters, a standed riced up Lancer often has a larger rear wing.</b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
yes I do but I was asked if the 2mb would slow down the 8 mb since I havent tried it I had to ask those I trust :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Logically i wouldnt think so...
But a raid 0 with a 2Mb and a 8Mb would be a bit slower than one with a 8Mb + 8Mb, and the 2mb drive would slow it down a little, but not much.

It would certainly be faster than a single drive, in applications where raid is faster anyway :smile:

<b>Despite the huge top speeds, amazing acceleration and incredible G-Forces of Top Fuel Dragsters, a standed riced up Lancer often has a larger rear wing.</b>