    From: shure...@aol.com (ShureGuy)
    Subject: Re: Help ID Shure Mic - Please
    Date: 1995/09/12
    sender: r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com
    references: <432p8d$a34@news-e1a.megaweb.com>
    organization: America Online, Inc. (1-800-827-6364)
    reply-to: shure...@aol.com (ShureGuy)
    newsgroups: rec.audio.pro

    Please allow me to set things straight. The 545 is not made of reject
    parts from the SM57. The SM57 has a voice coil made of a different
    material than the 545. The 545 uses an all copper voice coil, which
    makes
    it a little heavier than the SM57 coil. In fact, we started making the
    545 about 7 years before the SM57. Also, do to manufacturing reasons,
    it
    is impossible to use 57 rejects for the 545. Since the 545 and SM57
    have
    different grills, the cartridges are mounted differently. Also, since
    the
    cartridges are manufactured into the mounting assembly, it is
    impossible
    to use a reject SM57 for the 545. The mounting hardware will not allow
    it.

    This is a widely held myth of our products and I hope this helps clear
    things up.

    Rick Waller
    Applications Group
    Shure Brothers Inc
    Shure...@aol.com
    ph: 708-866-2634
    fx: 708-866-2606

    playon wrote:
    > What differences, if any, is there in build and sonics between the
    > SM-57 and the older Shure Unidyne mics that look virtually identical,
    > anyone know?

    The story I've heard is that the capsules come off the same line. After QC
    testing, the ones with the most accurate, widest response become 57/58's,
    and 'rejects' become the lower priced clone mic's. These days, I guess that
    would be an SM-48....

    Anyone else corroborate this?

    jak

    Paul Thomas wrote:
    > The following information (from 1995) was found in the Google archives
    > of rec.audio.pro...
    >

    > From: shure...@aol.com (ShureGuy)
    > Subject: Re: Help ID Shure Mic - Please
    > Date: 1995/09/12
    > sender: r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com
    > references: <432p8d$a34@news-e1a.megaweb.com>
    > organization: America Online, Inc. (1-800-827-6364)
    > reply-to: shure...@aol.com (ShureGuy)
    > newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
    >
    > Please allow me to set things straight. The 545 is not made of reject
    > parts from the SM57. The SM57 has a voice coil made of a different
    > material than the 545. The 545 uses an all copper voice coil, which
    > makes
    > it a little heavier than the SM57 coil. In fact, we started making
    > the 545 about 7 years before the SM57. Also, do to manufacturing
    > reasons, it
    > is impossible to use 57 rejects for the 545. Since the 545 and SM57
    > have
    > different grills, the cartridges are mounted differently. Also, since
    > the
    > cartridges are manufactured into the mounting assembly, it is
    > impossible
    > to use a reject SM57 for the 545. The mounting hardware will not
    > allow it.
    >
    > This is a widely held myth of our products and I hope this helps clear
    > things up.

    Thanks for pulling that up, Paul. Another Urban Myth put to rest (until
    someone like me brings it up again, ten years from now....).

    jak

    jakdedert <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >playon wrote:
    >> What differences, if any, is there in build and sonics between the
    >> SM-57 and the older Shure Unidyne mics that look virtually identical,
    >> anyone know?
    >
    >The story I've heard is that the capsules come off the same line. After QC
    >testing, the ones with the most accurate, widest response become 57/58's,
    >and 'rejects' become the lower priced clone mic's. These days, I guess that
    >would be an SM-48....
    >
    >Anyone else corroborate this?

    This used to be the case at one point. Today, I think the consistency is
    high enough that it doesn't happen that way any more.

    The 545 is still a production item, and it still sounds just like an SM57
    to me. It sells for considerably more than the SM57, though, and it is
    extremely popular in Asia where the metal finish is a big deal. You'll see
    them on Chinese music programs all the time.

    It has gone from being a cheaper mike to a more expensive one somehow.
    Marketing is weird that way.
    --scott

    Scott Dorsey wrote:
    > jakdedert <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >> playon wrote:
    >>> What differences, if any, is there in build and sonics between the
    >>> SM-57 and the older Shure Unidyne mics that look virtually
    >>> identical, anyone know?
    >>
    >> The story I've heard is that the capsules come off the same line.
    >> After QC testing, the ones with the most accurate, widest response
    >> become 57/58's, and 'rejects' become the lower priced clone mic's.
    >> These days, I guess that would be an SM-48....
    >>
    >> Anyone else corroborate this?
    >
    > This used to be the case at one point. Today, I think the
    > consistency is high enough that it doesn't happen that way any more.
    >
    > The 545 is still a production item, and it still sounds just like an
    > SM57 to me. It sells for considerably more than the SM57, though,
    > and it is extremely popular in Asia where the metal finish is a big
    > deal. You'll see them on Chinese music programs all the time.
    >
    > It has gone from being a cheaper mike to a more expensive one somehow.
    > Marketing is weird that way.

    When I first went to work for a German sound company in the 80's, I was
    surprised to see those things used all of the time...usually used in
    preference to mic's like Sennheiser 421's--or various models of (much
    superior, IMO) Beyers and AKG's--which are common as dirt over there.

    Being 'American' made them sound better....<g> I wonder if that's still the
    case these days. It's been over 15 years since I worked in Europe.

    jak
    > --scott

    The Urban Myth I'd heard was that the Shure capsules that didn't pass
    QC to become SM58's got sold to RadioShack to become Highball 2 mics!

    "jakdedert" <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for pulling that up, Paul. Another Urban Myth put to rest (until
    > someone like me brings it up again, ten years from now....).

    Interesting.

    When the SM-56 and SM-57 were first introduced in the late 1960s, they were
    advertised as having the same capsule as the highly reguarded model 546 and
    the 546 had been advertised as having a "selected" Unidyne III, aka 545
    capsule. If it's an urban myth, it's one that Shure started! I suppose
    everybody could be right if the 57 or the 545 no longer uses the same
    capsule.

    --
    Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
    615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com