Free AO accounts to be targeted with ingame advertising

(from AO Stratics)

Anarchy Online first game to feature dynamic in-game advertisement
billboards -

Durham, USA - February 24, 2004 - Funcom, developer and publisher
of top video game titles like Anarchy-Online and The Longest Journey,
has signed an exclusive agreement with Massive Incorporated, creator of
the world's first video game advertising network. In a revolutionary
deal all free players of Anarchy-Online will see dynamic in-game
advertising billboards in central areas of the game. Paying subscribers
will not see the advertisements.

Mitch Davis, CEO of Massive Incorporated said "We're thrilled to
add Funcom's leading titles into our advertising network and broaden
our reach with their hundreds of thousands of gamers. We're excited
about changing the game development business model to provide a new
source of significant revenues beyond box sales and subscriptions and
delivering a powerful new medium to global advertisers."

Last year, TV rating company Nielsen Media reported a fall in the
amount of prime-time TV viewing among 18 - 34 year old men. In a
report from Ziff Davis Digital Gaming they reckoned that a quarter of
gamers had swapped TV watching time for playing time. Seeing that in
2003 US advertisers spent $ 12 billion on TV spots targeting young men
while the equivalent figure for in-game ads was just $ 10 million, the
US advertising landscape is poised to undergo changes in the years to
come. As millions of young men and women change their lifestyle and
entertainment habits, advertisers now finds an additional venue to
reach the coveted 18 - 34 demographic through the medium of
games.....and Funcom takes the first step in March 2005.

Trond Aas, CEO of Funcom stated "As opposed to a medium like TV you
know that the gamers eyes are always watching the screen while playing
games. With official ad measurement methods from Nielsen we are sure
advertisers will cherish this revolutionary new opportunity to reach
the extremely valuable 18 - 34 demographic. Through our own research
we know that most gamers want in-game advertisement to heighten the
sense of realism. Seeing that the live billboards in Anarchy-Online do
not interfere with gameplay I am confident our free players will
welcome the permanent continuation of our complimentary subscription in
the ultimate sci-fi MMORPG."

"Alex Mars" <alexmars@aol.com> wrote in news:1109389551.197342.6350
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Seeing that the live billboards in Anarchy-Online do
> not interfere with gameplay I am confident our free players will
> welcome the permanent continuation of our complimentary subscription in
> the ultimate sci-fi MMORPG."

Heehee. Welcome it? Not likely since that would require that they
understand it.

Gandalf Parker

"Alex Mars" <alexmars@aol.com> once tried to test me with:

> (from AO Stratics)
>
> Anarchy Online first game to feature dynamic in-game advertisement
> billboards -
>
> Durham, USA - February 24, 2004 - Funcom, developer and publisher
> of top video game titles like Anarchy-Online and The Longest Journey,
> has signed an exclusive agreement with Massive Incorporated, creator of
> the world's first video game advertising network. In a revolutionary
> deal all free players of Anarchy-Online will see dynamic in-game
> advertising billboards in central areas of the game. Paying subscribers
> will not see the advertisements.

Sounds like a good deal for everyone concerned. Gamers get a taste of the
game for free, with the "hassle" of having to deal with ads. If they like
the gameplay, they subscribe and the ads go away. If they don't mind the
ads they can let the game be supported by ad money and keep playing for
free. I've got a free AO account, I may check it out and see exactly what
this looks like.

--

Knight37

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> once tried to test me
with:

> "Alex Mars" <alexmars@aol.com> wrote in news:1109389551.197342.6350
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Seeing that the live billboards in Anarchy-Online do
>> not interfere with gameplay I am confident our free players will
>> welcome the permanent continuation of our complimentary subscription in
>> the ultimate sci-fi MMORPG."
>
> Heehee. Welcome it? Not likely since that would require that they
> understand it.

Are you talking about not being able to understand the gameplay?

It's not THAT hard. AO throws a lot of options at you at once, but most of
it isn't even relevant until higher levels anyway. And 99% of the
"confusing stuff" is optional, like crafting.

I do believe they have an online manual.

It's not as easy to learn to play as WoW or CoH, that's for sure, but it is
easier to pick up than 1st Ed. Ultima Online or Everquest were.

Part of what makes it seem complex is all the game-world terminology used.

--

Knight37

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote in

> Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> once tried to test
> me with:
>
>> "Alex Mars" <alexmars@aol.com> wrote in news:1109389551.197342.6350
>> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Seeing that the live billboards in Anarchy-Online do
>>> not interfere with gameplay I am confident our free players will
>>> welcome the permanent continuation of our complimentary subscription
>>> in the ultimate sci-fi MMORPG."
>>
>> Heehee. Welcome it? Not likely since that would require that they
>> understand it.
>
> Are you talking about not being able to understand the gameplay?

No I just think that they are unlikely to appreciate any change as a way of
keeping free accounts open. The movement from popular-free to having to pay
for it is rarely met with understanding and appreciation

Gandalf Parker

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> once tried to test me
> with:
>
> > "Alex Mars" <alexmars@aol.com> wrote in news:1109389551.197342.6350
> > @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
> >
> >> Seeing that the live billboards in Anarchy-Online do
> >> not interfere with gameplay I am confident our free players will
> >> welcome the permanent continuation of our complimentary subscription in
> >> the ultimate sci-fi MMORPG."
> >
> > Heehee. Welcome it? Not likely since that would require that they
> > understand it.
>
> Are you talking about not being able to understand the gameplay?

I think he means understand the rest of that sentence.

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> once tried to test
me with:

> No I just think that they are unlikely to appreciate any change as a
> way of keeping free accounts open. The movement from popular-free to
> having to pay for it is rarely met with understanding and appreciation

They aren't having to pay for it. That's the point.

I think given a choice of 1. pay up, or 2. deal with ads, there's going to
be a significant number of people who choose option 2, and option 1 is
always avaiable. Of course if you're not having fun then option 3. just
quit playing is good too.

--

Knight37