Issues with a ASUS u56e laptop after installing Windows 7

UndercoverMartyn

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
So, I reinstalled Windows 7 32bit after feeling dissatisfied with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. All my data was saved in the "Windows.old" folder, but I can't connect to the Internet (that's my main priority at the moment), my screen is slightly stretched (I tried adjusting the screen resolution, but it'll only go up to 1024x768. As it turns out, this is optimum for a 15" CRT monitor, but I have a 15" LCD Screen) and the "Sleep" option in the Start Menu is grayed out. Upon opening the Device Manager, I noticed the following drivers had an exclamation point next to them:

- Ethernet Controller
- Network Controller
- PCI Simple Communications Controller
- SM Bus Controller
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

I've tried to locate those drivers on the ASUS website, but I couldn't find them.

So, can anyone help me? :??:

Solution
The user manual has all the instructions for the recovery. Download it from here:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/eManual/Emanual_U56E_Win7_64_Z103.zip
This zip file contains all the manuals in different languages. The English one is the 0409.pdf.

In the Appendix there's a chapter called "Recovering your Notebook PC". The page code is "A-13".

In short, you have to
- press [F9] during startup
- select "Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]"
- then follow the instructions and select according to your preferences (language, partitioning)

One last note: recovering the partition results in deleting your current partition (or even both C: and D: partitions if you select that option). So don't forget to back up your files to another...

SM bus ctlr you need to install Chipset drivers. Go to intel and run this driver update utility.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/

UndercoverMartyn

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Can't; I have no internet.

Know anywhere else to download Chipset drivers?

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
The user manual has all the instructions for the recovery. Download it from here:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps/eManual/Emanual_U56E_Win7_64_Z103.zip
This zip file contains all the manuals in different languages. The English one is the 0409.pdf.

In the Appendix there's a chapter called "Recovering your Notebook PC". The page code is "A-13".

In short, you have to
- press [F9] during startup
- select "Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]"
- then follow the instructions and select according to your preferences (language, partitioning)

One last note: recovering the partition results in deleting your current partition (or even both C: and D: partitions if you select that option). So don't forget to back up your files to another (external) hard disk.

Solution

Kartik Charan

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
You can also download Intel wireless drivers from downloadcenter.intel.com and download the wireless drivers from another computer or a modem.. It's Intel centrino wimax 6150 for U56e. Then when you update using windows update, screen resolution problem will be fixed. Download rest of the drivers from Intel download center and asus websites.